Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   KSC- Launch Transportation Schedule? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ksc-launch-transportation-schedule-786737/)

mooveebuff May 27th, 2009 01:22 PM

KSC- Launch Transportation Schedule?

We got our ticket package from KSC today which included our placecard for entry on launch day; the launch is scheduled for 06.13.09 @ 7:17am. I know this can change at any time for any reason. The information packet requires us to be at the Visitors Complex at 2:30am with a note saying we could arrive as early as 11:30PM on Friday night.

My question is what is there to do at this time of night? Is the Visitors Complex with all of the buildings open, could we go see an IMAX movie or are we just waiting at the gift shop for the buses which will being transferring people to the causeway between 4:30 and 6:30am. Is there someone on the boards here that can help me flush how this will play out in the wee hours of the night?

mooveebuff May 28th, 2009 04:48 AM

ttt...hoping 321go or OrlandoVic might see this and respond

321go May 28th, 2009 12:11 PM

Mooveebuff, I called an acquaintance who works at the Visitors Center to verify this: during the night, everything will be open with the exception of the regular bus tours that take you to the Saturn V center, etc. So you'll be able to see the Imax movies, view the exhibits at the Visitors Center, the rocket garden, etc.

mooveebuff May 29th, 2009 10:00 AM

Wow, that's cool! Thanks for the info, 321go. We're going to have a blast! Get it, a blast. Ok, I'm excited, you'll have to forgive me. It'll kinda be like grad night only way better.

tchoiniere May 29th, 2009 10:06 AM

Enjoy it. Hopefully the schedule doesnt change.

321go May 30th, 2009 09:27 AM

You can check here for the latest news on the launch: http://www.floridatoday.com/content/blogs/space/

Fingers crossed for you mooveebuff!

mooveebuff May 30th, 2009 02:22 PM

Thanks for this link 321go, I've been a youtube junky with the NASA Television channel since they launched Atlantis to work on the Hubble. Man that was a fantastic mission. I can't wait till the first shots are published since the upgrades and repairs.

Unfortunately, if they can't move Endeavor at midnight tonight "my" mission will be delayed until July. So let’s hope the weather holds overnight and they can make the transfer from pad 38B to 39A tonight! The next briefing will be at 7:00am tomorrow morning so please do keep your fingers crossed for me ;>)

CosmicGirl Jun 17th, 2009 05:44 AM

Sorry if I'm out of line here, but are any of you with launch transportation tickets unable to make the new scheduled launch of STS-127 on July 11? I would be interested in buying one or two adult tickets from you. You can contact me via futurecm at hotmail dot com. Thanks in advance!

321go Jun 18th, 2009 04:31 PM

CosmicGirl, you may already know this, but just in case - if you do get tickets, be sure you get the car placard too. You won't be able to get on KSC grounds the day of a launch without one.

mooveebuff Jun 25th, 2009 06:52 AM

I'm not sure that the placecard and LV tickets are transferable CosmicGirl. I will double-check the paperwork KSC sent me; seems to me there was something in there that prohibits selling your tickets. We will be using our tickets...come hell or high water, BTW ;>).

I was thinking about writing a trip report of our experience in trying to see "our" launch as it has been some what of an ordeal. I have to admit we were disappointed when the last attempt was scrubbed. It was such a beautiful night sky, not a single cloud; the moon was a large crescent and engulfed in a shimmering misty veil due to the earlier rain storm that delayed fueling. You could see a million stars all around. I can only imagine what a shuttle launch would have looked and felt like in the setting.

The new schedule puts us an hour before sunset. We’ve put so much time and effort into seeing this launch that we are more determined than ever to be there for the Endeavor and her crew. We’ve given it all up to the space gods and will be there at every attempt until we realize the experience however it plays out.

321go Jun 25th, 2009 08:05 AM

Believe it or not, mooveebuff, when they scrubbed, I turned to DH and said, "poor mooveebuff!"

I hope you do write that trip report followed by another one in which you can describe the launch! :-)