Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cheyenne Frontier Days-Has anyone been there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DD has always wanted to go to Frontier Days. I have agreed to go this year. We are planning on flying into Denver, spending a couple of days in the area, and then going to Cheyenne for a couple of days. We are looking at being in Cheyenne on July 24 & 25 and attending the Charlie Daniels concert and the PBR event-both are in the evening.

Is there plenty to do to at Frontier Days for 2 full days? I see you can either park at the venue, or park and take a shuttle. Which is better?

What about lodging? It looks like it may be hard to book anything and if available, prices are outrageous. Any suggestions for other towns not too far away?

Are there other places we should plan to visit while in the area?

Thanks
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I went years ago. One day of watching the rodeo was enough for us, but it sounds like you are interested in two evening events. There aren't many hotels in Cheyenne so they can charge a premium price for the rooms. A family member later moved there - and loved living there - but they would go down to Fort Collins CO to shop and often go out to eat. You may want to check the rates at a hotel there if you don't mind the drive.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 02:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The nearest towns of any size are Fort Collins and Laramie. You'll p[robably only go to the "Daddy of 'em All" once so figure out you are going to need to spend the money to stay IN Cheyenne. Just make lodging reservations VERY early.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:03 AM

Never been to the "days", but like Cheyenne. The Plains Hotel down town is great. It is on the Historic Registery. Capitol City Grill is located inside (good--try the King Crag Mac-n-Cheese--too die for) good coffee shop in the morning. Good brewery across the street. Fort Collins is fun, lots of eateries, younger feeling town. Laramie is low on good hotels and good places to eat. The good places to eat near Laramie are up in Medicine Bow Nat'l Forest and Snowy Range (Centennial, Albany) Saratoga Hot Springs is another good area.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies. We are going to visit Anheuser Busch and maybe some of the other breweries in Ft Collins. We will spend the day there on Saturday and stay there Saturday night. I also made a reservation for Sunday night just in case. Not sure about staying in Cheyenne. Reviews for most places that still have rooms aren't good.

It's good to know about the Plains Hotel. Maybe we can eat there if everyone is at Frontier Park. I will check into the other towns you mentioned bredhairedgirl. Perhaps if we get our fill of Frontier Days on Sunday, we could check some of these places out on Monday before going to the PBR event Monday night.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 09:43 AM

we have been to Frontier days many times. No advice on hotels, always stay in Ft Collins or camp. Favorite thing of all is the wonderful parade-- don't miss it