KOA to VolcanoVillage on Arrival - N or S??

Jul 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

KOA to VolcanoVillage on Arrival - N or S??

we are arriving next Wed around 2pm at KOA. Assume we will have our luggage and be in the rental by 3/3.30. Staying first few days in v.village. would the north or south route be the best at that time of day?
Jul 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM

My husband makes this trip several times a week and we feel that the northern route is always faster. Traffic either direction may be difficult at that time. FYI - Since is usually gets dark around 6:30, it may be dark when you arrive in Volcano Village. If you want to stop for dinner on the way, the Cafe Pesto on the bayfront in Hilo is a great place. Have a great time! The volcano has been awesome the last few days.
Jul 11th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Gloria is right. The traffic at that hour through Kona and Captain Cook is horrendous. The total miles through the Southern route is less but most likely will take you more time than the Northern route. Either way drive safe and have a good time. Make sure you go to Kalapana and see the flow. I went last night and it was the most awesome I have ever seen with fountains and spatters going into the sea. It could change at any time, so I'd go as soon as possible.
Aloha!
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks so much for the feedback on the route selection. We do plan on heading down to kalapana the 2nd nite to see the ocean entry. can't wait.
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Agree about the traffic that time of day, so northern route is best.

However, on your return to Kona (assuming you are flying out of there), try and take the southern route back. It's also very scenic and the landscape is varied.