Best Marriott Hotels in Hawai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, this issue may have been covered in other topics, but I did not see it - any Hawaii experts out there know of the best Marriott properties in Hawaii? We plan to go to Maui and Kauai, and, probably, Oahu - perhaps four days on each island? And, I plan to use my Marriott rewards points - schedule is flexible - I'm just trying to find to "best Marriotts" - we don't require the lap of luxury but would like something nice; my wife has been before but I have not, yet she has no experience with the Marriott properties... And, yes, I realize there are Marriott naysayers who says "if it's a Marriott, don't go..." But... I am looking for folks who have stayed in the properties on Kauai, Maui, and Oahu and some advice. Friends from Hawaii tell us the Ko Olina Beach Resort on Oahu; the Waliea on Maui; and the Kauai Marriott Resort. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I think the Marriott Waikiki is just fine but that's subjective and a lot of people will say you shouldn't even be on Oahu, much less in Waikiki but to each their own.
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM

I've stayed at the Marriott Waikiki and Ko 'Olina on Oahu, the Marriott Kaanapali Beach on Maui, and both the Waiohai and the Kauai Marriott on Kauai. I do understand that the Waikea Marriott is supposed to be nicer than any of those, but I haven't been there, other than outside. I also have't stayed at the JW Marriott at Ko'Olina. My take:

Waikiki - a nice, standard full-service Marriott in a great location (across the street from Waikiki Beach - a lot of the hotels are across the street). Upscale pool area on the roof (not a fancy resort pool, no slides or anything like that).

Ko'Olina - this is a timeshare property. The units are upscale timeshare units, not much "Hawaiian" about them, but they're nice. I loved having my breakfast on the balcony overlooking the grounds. The pool is excellent, the grounds are lovely. Negatives are the beach, which is manmade lagoons, and the location, which I don't personally like. It's too far from Waikiki, and until it's fully developed out there, there's just nothing there, including few restaurants. The resort itself is very nice. The JW Marriott (and the Disney Aulani property ) is in the same development, a walk away.

Waiohai, like Ko'Olina, this is a timeshare. The buildings are laid out in a horseshoe. The interior grounds are absolutely beautiful, and the property is on a great beach. You'd want to be sure you have a view of the interior gardens (because they call a parking lot view a "garden view" - I guess if you see a blade of grass, it's a "garden view" LOL). There are good restaurants in walking and easy driving distance. The pool is very nice and at the beach, but it isn't super-fancy.

We did not particularly like the Kauai Marriott. The property needs refreshing in our opinion. Lots of people love the pool, but it just wasn't to my taste (had just been at the Grand Hyatt Kauai, which definitely made the Marriott pool look worse by comparison). The beach is also a "lagoon".

Our last visit, we stayed at the Marriott Ocean Club on Kaanapali Beach. The rooms were fine (the section we stayed in were converted from hotel rooms to 2-room "suites", really just connecting rooms, but it was nice to have a separate bedroom and living room. We like the pool at this Marriott, and we really like Kaanapali Beach, but there are people who don't because it's a planned development. Basically, you drive into the resort and there's a long beach, beach path (great for morning and evening walks), and hotels and condos -- Hyatt, Marriott, Kaanapali Alii, Westin, Whaler, Sheraton, Kaanapali Beach Hotel, with the Whaler shopping center a shops and restaurants - always lively) in the center. We were not impressed with the lobby at the Kaanapali Marriott.

Hope this helps.
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:55 AM

Marriott Wailea is the best of the bunch, IMO. It's right ON the rocks. You walk 'next door' on either side to excellent beaches. Ocean View rooms are *close* views, unlike the newer mega-hotels. There's a lovely adults-only infinity pool. It's a short walk to Shops At Wailea (several restaurant choices and shops). All of Maui's top hotels except the Ritz are in Wailea: Four Seasons, Fairmont Kea Lani, Grand Wailea. Kaanapali's hotels are all a step down. (Many 'timeshare' properties are a step down too.)

You need more than 12 nights to stay on three islands without spending a big percentage of your time in airports, even if you could fly into Island #1 and home from Island #3. Each 'hop' will run $100 pp; worse, you lose half a day of your vacation.

What do you want to see and do in Hawaii? You could enjoy any ONE of these islands for two weeks, or split between just TWO. The hotel is only a part of the trip when there's so much natural beauty to enjoy.
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:59 AM

Forgot to mention that if you stay Oahu, stay Waikiki, not out at Ko Olina. You can get nicer beach lodgings on other islands; enjoy the city vibe for a while -- or skip Oahu if you must use Marriott only. (North Shore Turtle Bay is nice.)
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:43 AM

I've stayed at the Kauai Marriott in Lihue over ten times, and until recently owned a timeshare there. I love the pool and the jacuzzis and you can get drinks service on the beach as long as you are in the grassy area. They just redecorated four years ago. Be sure to eat at Duke's.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:45 AM

>>

I was there less than two years ago
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I only know the Marriott on the beach at Waikiki. And even that have not stayed there, but been in their shops, common areas, restaurants, took a zumba class, etc. I think it looks very nice and I love the location (down towards Kapiolani park).
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:30 PM

We stayed at the Wailea Marriott in Feb 2012. Loved the hotel but I'll point out the pros and cons as everybody has different takes..
'CONS'
The pools are unheated (not a problem in summer but too cold to swim in the depths of winter.

There isn't direct access to a beach. the beach we used was a short walk to the right facing the ocean BUT I think that is now a private beach for the Andaz Hotel opening in July?

We liked the open air restaurant for breakfast but some guests were upset by the birds flying..

PROS
very close to restaurants and a small mall for shopping and essentials
completely separate children's and adult pools (plus a 'mixed pool')
lovely sunset views

There's also a Courtyard near the airport in Maui. We intend to stay here for one night next time as we arrive late and want to crash then pick up a rental car as early as possible the next morning.. we'll be up early (eastcoasters!). This will save a bunch of points too as it's a lower category hotel.

The Marriott on Big Island is also very nice
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Stayed at the Marriott in Waikiki. it is an older hotel that has been "redone" (you will recognize it on some old Hawaii 50 shows -ORIGINAL Hawaii 50) but to me the hallways have a very institutional feel to them. The views on the small semi circular balcony are really nice but you can practically reach over and shake hands with your neighbor! The room that I had was an ocean view and it really was lovely and the room itself was large but the bathroom you can hardly turn around in. I haven't been to a nice hotel in years that has not had a robe for you to wear and the Marriott DOES NOT! I consider that a nice convenience.

KAUAI Marriott near the airport was previously another hotel and to me it is strange with lots of twists and turns in the hallways to get to your room. it is a very large complex with a very pretentious pool with water spitting out of the mouths of statues/lions. The lagoon is horrible and after 11 years of going to Hawaii I finally made it to DUKE's To me once was enough. Stayed there because I had points and it was close to an early morning flight from Lihue. Really no restaurants around there except for the wonderful burger place. Will not go back...

The Marriott right on Poipu Beach is looks lovely at least the grounds are nice and plenty of good "eats" near by... Haven't seen the rooms but it sounds like you need to be sure what your view is. Got a "garden view" once at another hotel and it was looking at the parking lot. Let me tell you, sitting on your lanai for cocktails or coffee and looking at cars is not my idea of Hawaii. Be sure you know exactly what you will be looking at....Garden, ocean, or parking lot - makes a difference....
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:18 PM

since Shar mentioned it, I should add that the corridors at the Marriott Waiohai (Poipu) are also oddly institutional, but the units are nice and as I said the grounds are beautiful, and it's on a great beach and close to others.
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Regarding three islands in one trip - yes, friends have pointed this out to us - and here's the rub: we couldn't book most of the hotels for any longer in the June timeframe - we were fortunate (I am told by Marriott) that we were able to book in June at all - so, yes, sadly, we are resigned to spending three of our vacation days at airports... Wish we could change it, unfortunately, it wasn't doable! Again, appreciate everyone's help on this.
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:31 PM

Hey u r in Hawaii - airport or not, you can get around and enjoy your vacation.....