Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Know of any High rise and/or romantic restaurants?

Jan 12th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Chris

My wife and I will be taking a trip to New York in a few months. I guess we are wondering if anyone knows of some nice high rise restaurants that have views of the city or what some romantic restaurants might be?

We will be staying in Midtown. Thanks.

Jan 12th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Russ

Such a shame... Reading this posting reminds me of the incredible sunset and dinner I had at Windows on the World in the WTC. I'm looking forward to hearing the responses on this for my own future adventures...

Jan 12th, 2003, 10:06 PM
huh

well, you may have a longish wait for those responses. This thread is not getting activity because the title does not give ANY clue about where? There is no "New York" forum - just a United States forum, so "Know of any High rise and/or romantic restaurants?" could just as easily be asking about Honolulu.

Chris: Why don't you try again with a better title?

Jan 13th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Nancy

A few suggestions for mid-twon:

Rainbow Room - band, views, etc

Revolving restaurant at the top of the Marriott Marquis (Times Square) - OK food but good views

Bar at the top of the Penninsula Hotel -good for pre or post dinner drinks, esp in warm weather as they have a terrace.

Jan 13th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Statia

I was going to suggest the revolving View Lounge atop the Marriott Marquis, as well. Great views and romantic, but I can't comment on the food.

Jan 13th, 2003, 04:23 AM
mo

One if by land two if by sea (or something like that) on barrow street. not a high rise, but romantic and the food is good,

Jan 13th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Statia

I can also say that One if by Land is one of the most romantic restaurants I've been to in NYC. They have a website you can do a search for.

Jan 13th, 2003, 05:04 AM
mo

http://www.oneifbyland.com/

Jan 13th, 2003, 05:12 AM
jill

If you like Indian food, Nirvana is upstairs and faces Central Park.
The Rainbow Room is ridiculously expensive and stuffy and the food is ordinary.
Why not have drinks with a view then eat in a cozy romantic place like One if by Land or on the West Side-Cafe des Artiste?

Jan 13th, 2003, 05:43 AM
ryan

As previously said, a great view, really for drinks only though, is from the PenTop Lounge at the Peninsula Hotel on 55th. You will pay up for the view, but the outdoor tables can be worth it.

While not a high rise view, The Chart House in Weehawken, NJ is located right on the Hudson with a great sweeping view of the entire skyline. There are ferries that run from the NY Waterway Ferry on West 38th St.

Jan 13th, 2003, 06:02 AM
x

Foley's Fish House has fabulous food and wonderful views of Times Square.

Jan 13th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Merilee

It's only a cab ride away to a well kept secret named The Terrace. It's at 400 West 119th Street, which is atop a Columbia University building. It offers a superb view of the city in a classy, elegant, and romantic setting. The table settings are beautiful and the tables are spaced far enough apart to offer privacy. There's soft dinner music playing in the background. Best of all the food is very good. Try to get a table by the window.

Jan 13th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Knight

I live in NYC, here's the deal.' Avoid the revolving bar at the marriott, cheesy, too many tourists. Rainbow room, has some history, worth it for a drink. Penntop Bar (Penninsula) is fun, but pricey, Nirvana has a great view of Central Park. If you are going to be here in the warmer months, go to the roof of the Metropolitan museum for drinks. metmuseum .org (i think); great views of the park, wonderful place to have a glass of wine. Check out the boatouse cafe in central park, nice place to have lunch overlooking the rowboat pond, etc.

Go to Zagat.com and do a search on romantic restaurants. My one peice of advice, if everybody is talking about a place, it can't be that romantic- think off the beaten path- Zagat's will help you.

Jan 13th, 2003, 09:47 AM
a

also check out the top of the tower, highrise place for a drink

Jan 14th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Judy

Another vote for One If By Land Two If By Sea as a very romantic spot. It's expensive though and you definitely should try to get reservations. Another really romantic place is Candela. Good food, entirely candlelit. Enjoy!

Jan 14th, 2003, 10:15 AM
gc

One If By Land Two If By Sea is one of the most romantic restaurants I've ever encountered. I believe the Seafood Grill is the restaurant that overlooks the rink at Rockefeller center.
Foley's has the view, now that Windows on the World is gone.

Jan 14th, 2003, 04:13 PM
suzanne

River Cafe in Brooklyn (right across the bridge) has the best city view and is also one of NYC's best-rated restaurants for food.