Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kingsland, GA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kingsland-ga-376434/)

Amie Nov 15th, 2003 03:49 AM

Kingsland, GA

I plan to drive to Jacksonville FL from Maryland over the holidays. A friend suggests Kingsland GA as a place to stay to avoid the busy traffic, etc. of Jacksonville. We like visiting sites and will spend little time at the beach. Please describe Kingsland....beach? a lot of hotels? can St Augustine be a day trip?

Thanks

LN Nov 15th, 2003 06:41 AM

I also make the trip from Maryland to Florida and have stopped a few times in Kingsland for fuel. I will be very honest and say that I can't think of a good reason to not stay in Jacksonville. 295 runs around Jax while 95 runs thru the city and it's not very busy (not like DC, Balt, Richmond). We've stayed in Orange Park and surrounds and also at the Omni on the Jax waterfront along with the beach area. It's a very nice town. St Augustine would be a closer trip from Jax than from Kingsland IMHO of course.

Patrick Nov 15th, 2003 08:04 AM

I've spend a night or two at Kingsland driving north or south on I-95 and yes it is a way to avoid the traffic if you are avoiding Jacksonville. But you are talking about staying there and visiting attractions in the area? What that does instead is cause you to fight the traffic every time you go anywhere, unless you plan to barricade yourselves inside the Days Inn. I don't get that idea. I'd find a more interesting place to stay -- towards Jacksonville Beach or even at St. Augustine. LN is right about Kingsland being more inconvenient for that -- not to mention the idea that you have to go through the traffic that your friend is suggesting you will somehow avoid!

bluestructure Nov 17th, 2003 06:16 AM

Im driving from Baltimore to Florida later this week. Ive stayed in Savannah a few times on my way down. There isnt much traffic in Jacksonville, even on 295 during evening rush hour has lil traffic. Keep in mind that traffic down there doesnt compare to Maryland traffic. St. Augustine is about 30 min south of jacksonville, you would have to go thru jax to get there if your worried about traffic or a place to stop. Savannah is 2 hrs from jax and 8 hrs from MD. Savannah has alot of historic sites and places to see. Kingsland is a stop off the interstate to me with hotels and gas stations. Dont forget the drunkin navy sailors. Kingsland is home of nuclear subs. FYI: Traffic in jax is between 7am-9am and 4pm-7pm and mostly going northbound on 95 and 295 esp through downtown. There is a new 8 lane bridge on 95 (no more drawbridge) so traffic is less now.

Fodorite018 Nov 17th, 2003 09:08 AM

Yikes!!!! We lived in Kingsland for a few years (stationed there with the military) and would not suggest staying there to anyone. There is no beach in Kingsland...if you go a few miles to St. Marys there is water...but not a beach. Kingsland is very close to Jacksonville, so no reason to stay the night at all...just continue on for the 30-60 minutes to your destination (depending on where in Jacksonville you are headed).