Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kinda sorta got a mother-daughter destination (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kinda-sorta-got-a-mother-daughter-destination-791195/)

ChicagoDallasGirl Jun 20th, 2009 02:50 PM

Kinda sorta got a mother-daughter destination

I posted recently about our dilemma over where to head for our next MD trip. We made a preliminary decision to go with San Francisco, only if we can make it work in our budget. I found a vacation rental apartment near Golden Gate Park (9th and Lincoln Way).

Anyone familiar with this area? What's it like? Would it be a good place for a short, first-time visit or should we look closer to downtown?

ChicagoDallasGirl Jun 20th, 2009 09:11 PM

ttt - sorry should have put san fran in the subject line

Dayenu Jun 20th, 2009 09:46 PM

There are plenty of restaurant and coffee houses within couple of blocks: 9th ave, Irving, Judah. I like an Indian restaurant on 9th ave @ Lincoln "Masala," they have outside seating with a small fountain in the back if the weather is nice.

There is an entrance to Golden Gate park on 9th ave, you walk through arboretum (botanical garden) it's a beautiful walk, you pass a lake with ducks, Japanese gardens, DeYoung museum (the observation tower is free) and CA academy of sciences.

On Sundays at 1 pm there is a free band between those museums.

You will need public transit to go to other places, the easiest connection is the MUNI line N to downtown, it's goes on the surface in that area, either on Judah or on Irving, then underground stations in downtown. Check out passes, I think they are sold for 3, 5, and 7 days.

This is OK area, if you found a good deal, go for it! Just be ready to spend some time on buses and metro.

ChicagoDallasGirl Jun 21st, 2009 06:18 AM

Dayneu, Thanks a bunch for the overview! Sounds like a lovely area to stay, especially when DH and I go next time, especially for the proximity to the park and botanical garden.

But I'm thinking on this trip, mom and I might want to be a bit closer to downtown. Ideally, we'd like not to have a rental car, which I'm assuming is possible, if lodging downtown?

Dayenu Jun 21st, 2009 07:12 AM

Not to have a rental car is possible in any part of the city.

I don't know if you can pre-order the MUNI map off their website, if not, this must be the first thing you purchase to make yourself familiar with different bus lines.

Also BART trains go to downtown area.

Please confirm here the hotel's location for your own safety. For example, Union square east is safe, Union square west may be not.

If using Priceline, Union square east, north, Embarcadero are the safest and good transportation-wise.

montereybob Jun 21st, 2009 07:15 AM

Yes, you can have a rental car if lodging downtown but the parking fees at the hotels there are very high. Call the hotel first to ask the fee so you can decide if it is worth it to you. A car is not necessary in downtown and is sometimes a liability due to congestion, confusing hoards of one-way streets, steep hills, and scarce parking everywhere downtown. Using BART, taxis, and walking IMO is more enjoyable and certainly cheaper as well. If you plan on taking out of town trips then you would need to rent a car for those days.

ChicagoDallasGirl Jun 22nd, 2009 02:21 PM

dayenu - thanks for the tips on the Union square area, that's the kind of info i'm seeking as we decide where is best to stay.

bob - we're quite familiar and comfortable with public transportation and do not want a rental car, so sounds like being without one is very doable. thanks!

BarbAnn Jun 23rd, 2009 11:15 AM

Taking my 20 year son to San Francisco in a few weeks. They have some great hotel bargains this smmer. Try www.localgetaways.com, www.travel-ticker.com, and www.summercalifornia.com. The King Tut exhibit will be at the DeYoung while you are there. Check out San Francisco Walking Tour (www.sfcityguides.org) for free walking tours (OK, they would like a donation). We live about two hours from SF. When we drive, we park and ride the MUNI all over the city. The locals are very friendly and are anxious to help.

Have a great time.