Kimberly hotel/Labor Day Weekend

Apr 26th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Kimberly hotel/Labor Day Weekend

I am planning a long weekend in NYC for the US Open. Has anyone stayed at the Kimberly Hotel in Upper Midtown near the Waldorf? Is Labor Day weekend very crowded? I hope to tour with my wife and two kids, 11 & 14 to some of the main attractions. Any hints would be greatly apprciated!
Apr 26th, 2005, 02:53 PM

I'm sure the New Yorkers will have better perspective and insights, but: The one time I went to NYC for Labor Day weekend, the place was a ghost town! I visited my daughter who was living on W 84th Street, and had no trouble finding parking right in front of her building. I think if the weather's good, everybody heads out of town.
Apr 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM

If you want reviews of the Kimberly (usually good) go to tripadvisor.com One thing to consider, the subway to/from the tennis stadium is the #7 that runs along 42 st. The Kimberly is about 8 blocks away. Another all suite hotel right near the Kimberly is the Affinia 50 which also gets good reviews.

Labor Day weekend is crowded with tourists but not with NYers so all in all the city's quite pleasant. It's usually much easier to get reservations to good restaurants etc.

Not sure what kind of hints you want. If you're new to this site, there's a good search function above.
Apr 26th, 2005, 04:21 PM

We stayed at the Kimberly on Memorial Day weekend a few years ago and liked it very much. It's neat and clean and the staff is very nice. Our only problem was that most of our activities seem to have been on the west side--but that was our problem, not the Kimberly's. I recommend it.
Apr 27th, 2005, 06:29 PM

The kimberly is very nice and the rooms are large for NYC.It is in a very nice neighborhood and most people who live in the city go out east for labor day so it will not be very crowded