Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Killing 2 1/2 hours between Lihu'e and Princeville

Old Jan 31st, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between getting a marriage license in Lihue at 11am and hair/makeup at the Princeville at 2:30 what sites could you recommend to pass some time along the way. We don't want to get dirty or sweaty though so no hikes. Can you view the Wailua Falls? Opaeka'a Falls? Kilauea Lighthouse. Can you view these from or near the roadside at lookouts?
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 07:35 PM

I would definitely do the lighthouse....its an amazing view and so many species of birds. Also Anini beach, beyond the Lighthouse on the way to Princeville, is another nice place to stop. You can walk in the water, no waves.........a tranquil place.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 09:52 PM

Yes, both falls and lighthouse readily accessible (lighthouse closed on holidays). You could also stop by beach north of Kapa'a (Kealia?) and walk or just watch waves & people. Use guidebook to explore some of the access to the many beaches on the northeast side. No problem passing a couple of hours on that route ! Congrats.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM

Stop and get a smoothie at banana Joe's. It's just on the side of the road on the way up to Princevile. I believe its closer to Princeville.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will review more about the lighthouse area. My Kauai Revealed book doesn't talk about directions to a "lookout" at the Wailua Falls just a hike. I need help with understand the area to view the falls without getting dirty. So if you have more detail that would be great as it is further south from where we will be staying. That way we wouldn't have to make a special trip back down 56 during our stay. We will be staying for 5 nights at Secret Beach Hideaways so I'm sure we will get to the beaches.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 10:33 AM

You can view Opaeka`a Falls without getting dirty. Turn up the road on the Lihu`e side of the old Coco Palms hotel and follow the signs.

And one word of caution -- since you'll be getting your marriage license near lunchtime on a weekday, be sure to allow plenty of time to get through "town" to Princeville. You'll get first-hand experience doing the "Kapa`a Krawl"
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 06:14 PM

You can drive to a lookout for wailea falls, it's signposted OK. from hwy 50 just north of the hospital in Lihue turn left onto Ma'alo Rd (hwy 583) and you'll get there after a few miles thru' the fields, I think in fact the road dead-ends at the lookout.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:06 PM

Congrats on your upcoming marriage Nancy. My fiancee and I are also getting married on Kauai and staying at the Secret Beach Hideaways. We will be there in the beginning of July. If you are getting married sooner, please post what you thought of SBH and things on Kauia or Maui you would recommend.

thank you,

Mark
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:49 PM

Nancy, the thought of "killing" any time in Hawaii at all pains me. I know this sounds corny, but every moment there is so precious. I don't know how much time you will have in total on the island, so forgive me for being presumptuous, but why not just drive leisurely up to the hotel and enjoy a light lunch and drinks and basically just revel in all that beauty and save the sightseeing for another day?
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

eudaemon: we will be there the 1st of September and getting married at the Secret Beach on Sept 3rd so you will beat us there. If you haven't looked at their website for a few weeks, it's all brand new with new pics etc. We will be staying in Hale Lani. Please post your thoughts too.

And congrats on your upcoming wedding!!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Fisher: That was a very bad term I used. Hope it didn't hurt you too badly. :0) Sorry - I don't have those cool, cute smiley faces that JohnD is always using.

We are doing only an hour surf lesson the day after the wedding with the rest of the day just to chill and relax and enjoy our first day married. We will be staying on Kauai for 7 days (2 on So. Shore and 5 on the northshore). I am hoping to avoid driving back down toward Kapa'a during our stay on the North Shore if it is possible to "catch" a "do not miss site" on our way up that day. My goal is to make good use of our time by avoiding backtracking so we can spend more time just hanging out at our cottage taking it all in - sleeping in late etc.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:31 AM
iceeu2

Nancy.....you can view Wailua Falls, Opaeka'a Falls and the Kilauea Lighthouse without any kind of hike at all...You can sit in your car to see all of them, but you will want to get out.....Just seeing these 3 sights from Lihue to Princeville will take your 2 1/2 hours especially since you don't want to drive back down....You will love Kauai..Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:06 AM
Kal

Alohaaaa,
If you take the ride up to "Opa Falls" why not go all the way around the Sleeping Giant and beat the Kapaa Krawl?

Beautiful valley behind Da Big Guy. Nice ride.

You could grab a big sandwich at Wild Bill's in Lihue (next to the Border's Books/KMart-Kukui Grove Center) and stop at the overlook right outside of Kapaa town before Kealia Beach and have a tailgate picnic. Beautiful view back at the Coconut Coast and if you go soon, we saw a ton o' whales!
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 06:56 AM
iceeu2

Kal....what a nice guy you are...giving Nancy advice on taking that beautiful route just so she can avoid the Kapaa Krawl! We found it quite by accident while I was navigating!!
But......Kapaa town has a wonderful flavor to it that no one should miss!

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 07:34 AM

nancy do you think you will be sight seeing that day? For me it would be nervous trips to the bathroom and breakfast buffet .

Not sure I would venture to find locations, wonder if you will do the same as the morning approaches. Have fun whatever you decide.

Lighthouse is along the road, I would make that stop. There is a great quilt shop also just outside Lihue leading in the direction of Waimai Canyon. Perhaps someone here can give you a more direct location and name. Would be great to pick up a quilt as a memory of your morning. I have one hanging in the middle of my living room, gorgeous.

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Sarah - Thanks for you thoughts. I've been married before with a big wedding and all the people, reception etc. This time it's just me and my hubby to be. After raising 2 kids through teenagerhood and a 9 year old still at home - it takes a lot to stress me out.

I think we are going to take Kal's advice and go by the "Opa Falls" and Sleeping Giant. It will be a nicer ride than the Kaapa Krawl and make good use of our time. We will be staying right outside Kilauea so I will definitely stop by the quilt place during our 5 days on the North Shore.

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 10:52 AM
iceeu2

Nancy....I think you and Sarah may be going in opposite directions for the quilt shop.

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

iceeu2 - your right. I read her response wrong. We may have to stop on the way up to Princeville.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:26 PM

Hi Nancy03--

My fiancee and I are also staying at Hale Lani during our stay on Kauai. So I will definitely post about what I think about the place. We have VERY high expectations after reading glowing reviews in Fodors, Kauia Underground, and the Best Places to Stay book by Kim Grant. Kim said it was her favorite room in the state of Hawaii.

My better half is in control of the wedding arrangements. She hasn't decided exactly what she wants to do--so for all I know we'll be married on the beach as well. If she is happy I'll be happy.

My last comment is that the people in this forum are very helpful and give lots of good advice.

Mark
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 01:17 PM

I'm confused...Is Hale Lani part of Secret Beach Hideaways?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -