Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kilauea Lodge - Best place to stay in Volcano Park area?

Old May 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We've decided to spend our first night in Volcano Village and was wondering if Kilauea Lodge is the best place to do it at? Would you say this is the nicest place in the Volcano park to stay? Thanks so much!
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM
bonniebroad

Have only stayed at Kilauea Lodge there in the Village so cannot compare it to others but I can tell you it is WONDERFUL with a great restaurant, one of the best on the island. I can hardly wait to go back again! All the travel books give it an excellent review............

Old May 13th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Great thanks! There doesn't seem to be many options in the Volcano park area and this seems like the best one. Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:06 PM

We are staying there for 2 nights in July. Glad to hear that Bonniebroad says it is wonderful. Anyone else with an opinion?
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:48 PM
bonniebroad

Guys, have you looked at their website ... kilauealodge.com? It really is a beautiful place...... the bedrooms are charming and cozy, and I think you'll love it.

Old May 13th, 2005, 10:29 PM

If there are just two of you, I would say Kilauea Lodge is the best. We have five in our party so we are renting a house for two nights. If that option appeals to you, I can give you more information about it. Let me know.
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:51 AM

...or you could stay in the historic Volcano House, perched on the edge of a dormant caldera. Much as I enjoy Kilauea Lodge -- and gladly make the drive there for dinner -- it's Volcano House for lodging. Old, but clean...and one-of-a-kind:
http://volcanohousehotel.com/
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:02 PM
bonniebroad

Auntiemaria, we had friends who were very disappointed with Volcano House, and some of the travel writers aren't too kind to them either. But, for sure, you won't find a place that unique (location!) to stay anywhere else!

Old May 14th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Yep, it's not for everyone -- rustic to the point of barebones...but it's definitely interesting to sleep beside a caldera!
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Kilauea Lodge id wonderful!!! IF there are more than two traveling,
I HIGHLY recommend the cottage they have off-site. I think it is called Tutu's cottage? it was owned by Sophie Tucker's daughter-(old timers willk now the name.) NOt sure of price now--I was there in Summer 2000. (Ashley, for a family of 5, that cottage is perfect!! ) Tutu's Cottage has all the benefits (eg bkfast) at the Lodge.
The rooms in the annex building right next door are lovelly (the housekeeper let us peak in after guests had left) nice, and the main lodge lobby, with its huge fireplace, is great,. Excellent choice! Also agree--nix Volcano House. IMHO,disappointing (compared to Kilauea Lodge) public area, despite very unique location. I've heard from friends who lived nearby 30 yrs ago, that its lost lots of its charm and "mana" from yrs ago.
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Great! I'm glad I'm making a good choice! Will post a review once I'm back!