Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kid Friendly San Diego Hotel Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kid-friendly-san-diego-hotel-help-365651/)

dfr1966 Oct 13th, 2003 04:23 AM

Kid Friendly San Diego Hotel Help

Hi, again. I'm looking for some suggestions on kid friendly hotels in San Diego. I'm planning a trip there next summer with my wife and 2 children, ages 6 and 9. I've stayed at Holiday Inn Family Suites in Orlando, and noticed that they have a property 'Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside' on Harbor Drive that also has kidsuites. Can anyone comment on either that hotel or another that offers similar accommodations (ie, a separate bedroom for the children)? I'm planning to rent a car, so location isn't a high priority. Thanks!

ltt Oct 14th, 2003 07:32 AM

the only concern i have about that area is whether the plain noise would be disturbing since it is close to the airport.
there's another nice hotel in that area that has separate bedrooms - humphrey's half moon. another suggestions is bahia.

gail Oct 14th, 2003 10:59 AM

We stayed at the Best Western Marina on Shelter Island - a man-made island created from stuff dredged from the harbor. It was directly across the water from the airport - so close you could see the logos on the planes' tails. Still have not figured out why - but we never heard a sound from the airport.

Great hotel for travel with kids - really nice pool, suites with bedroom, balcony or patio, living room with sofa bed, full kitchen. Easy to drive to everywhere, and added bonus of being just minutes from the airport for our 7 AM departure flight.

4Janet Oct 14th, 2003 05:57 PM

There is a nice looking Embassy Suites on Market in San Diego. Across from Sea Port Village and walking distance of the Gaslamp and the trolley. I would really suggest that you rent a condo in Mission Beach. The kids would love it.

dfr1966 Oct 15th, 2003 04:43 AM

Renting a condo in Mission Beach sounds like a great idea. Is there a website that I could go to for more info?

ronkala Oct 15th, 2003 06:42 AM

I checked the Holiday Inn Bayside as a possible ship's reunion site, and spent one night there. There wasn't any noise from the planes. They have several things to kep the kids busy.
Pool, spa, ping pong, shuffleboard, excercise room, and a nine hole putting course.
the restaurant food was good, and children under 12 eat free.
I looked at nine hotels during my trip, decided on the Bayside, and we will be there next September.

ltt Oct 15th, 2003 06:53 AM

type in a web search for mission beach san diego and several rental companies will come up. there are rentals on the ocean side as well as the quieter bay side. the only downside to these is no pool if your kids like that. also, if you choose one, come back on this site with an address and get an opinion. some are very nice but some are run down.