Kid friendly restaurants in Key West

Dec 27th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Kid friendly restaurants in Key West

We're visiting Key West in three weeks and are looking for a few restaurant suggestions. We'll have our 5 yr. old and 10 mo. old in tow. I have a hankering for a good mahi sandwich and a slice of key lime pie! Places with patios (or perhaps the vast majority have patios) would be great. The only place I have on my list so far is Blue Heaven.

Also, we're driving down from Naples, so if there is a place we should stop for lunch, I'd love to know.
Dec 27th, 2008, 11:37 AM

Two great places for kids that are close to Mallory Square are Two Friends Restaurant which is across from the Hyatt, Conch Republic - very kid friendly and casual and Rooftop Cafe - a bit more upscale but great view from the rooftop and a kids menu. Where are you staying?
Dec 27th, 2008, 12:12 PM

I like Blue Heaven, but I've never been there where I didn't have a long wait. I don't know if they take reservations, I doubt it.

Take them to B.O.'s Fishwagon. Awesome fish, interesting (to say the least) decor.

Fogarty's on Duval has outside seating, huge portions and great people watching.

Perhaps, also Pepe's.
Dec 28th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Although the Half Shell Raw Bar isn't as good (in my opinion) as it used to be, it's very child-friendly, and dog-friendly, too! There are also swarms of fish that you can see from the waterfront tables.
Dec 28th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions! We'll have a hard time deciding which places to choose for our 3 night stay...
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Been to KW probably 40 times in past 9 years and always have had my kids with me. Blue Heaven is the best breakfast, just get there before 9:30 AM to avoid long wait. Half Shell Raw Bar is excellent, fresh seafood in a very casual setting. Great for kids and adults alike. Bagatelle is our favorite "fancy" restaurant if you want to call it that. Overlooks Duval St. but casual (again I always take my kids), Dante's seafood is very casual as well. Kelly's is another good one. Just got back from KW and Kellys has good local fish. I was disappointed with the food at Roof Top and Two Friends is a tourist trap (just my opinion though). BO's fish wagon known to have the best fish sandwhich on island. Dont know if I agree with that.

My favorite lunch spot is Lobo's on Duval. You can get fish or almost anything you like there.

Good luck and have a great time. (If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them. )
Jan 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the additional suggestions - Bagatelle's menu looks great! Hopefully we can get our act together early enough to get to Blue Heaven for breakfast...
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Blue Heaven is wonderful for kids because of the chickens. Worth making the effort.
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM

On your drive down, the Fish House on Key Largo (next to the Sandal Outlet) was one of the best meals we had in the Keys. It was definitely the best key lime pie.

The Half Shell Raw Bar was the worst meal we had. We heard from a local that you'll always get an amazing meal- but it'll be amazingly good or amazingly bad.

Search this Thread