Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kiahuna, Lae Nani or Holiday inn sunspree resort?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Tammy

going to Kauai in June of 2001. We are a family of four. Origionally we were attracted to a couple of big resorts-hyatt and Marriott. However, our boys are 7 and 8 and we feel we need more room than a basic hotel room. We used to stay at the Coco palms-when it was in service and loved the tropical atmosphere. we are looking at Kiahuna and Lae Nani condos. Kiahuna because it is on a nice beach. Lae Nani because it is central and you can easily go north or south for the day. recently we wondered about the Sunspree Resort-good location and has one bedroom suites. However, don't know a lot about them. Any input anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. We still plan to do the hyatt for a day or 2 at the end of the stay-the kids would love the pools I'm told.
Thanks,
Tammy

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:58 PM
cfeni

We are staying at the Holiday Inn in March. We are not taking children, but I have done alot of research and it is supposed to be very kid friendly. Supposedly has the best and safest swimming area at their beach (Lydgate Park). Will post a trip report when we return.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Karen

Tammy -

Of those you mentioned, I think Kiahuna is the nices and would suit your needs with your two children. I agree that a condo allows you to have the room to relax as well as providing you with all the amenities of a hotel, i.e., pool, golf, tennis, concierge, et al. We rarely do hotels anymore because we have found condos to be so much nicer. Although I have no intention of doing real cooking on vacation, I like the idea of being able to have full size refrigerators to keep my wine chilled (beer for my husband), fruit, juices, cheeses and any other item I may like to have on hand. Also, most mornings we enjoy sitting on our lanai, watching the ocean and the whales and having a light breakfast. To each his own. We have stayed at Kiahuna many times and the grounds are lovely; it is situated in a great location on the south shore of Poipu; restaurants and shopping are abundant without being terribly commercial. (We do not particularly like to stay on the East side of Kauai, Lydgate area, nor do we care for that stretch of beach. Too crowded over there in the Kapaa area. Kiahuna has beach chairs, towel service, laundry rooms and just about anything you would need. The beach fronting it is a very nice one as well - much better than Lydgate.

Have fun!

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 08:50 AM
Cathy

Tammy,
We were in Kauai last May and stayed at the Marriott. However, we went to Lydgate Beach Park one morning (it is next to Holiday Inn). The beach, at least in the morning, is not crowed at all. There were rocks placed there to break the waves so the water is VERY calm. The snorkeling is great and we saw lots of fishes that ate right out of our hands.
I thought this may help you in determining your accommodations.

I think I read somewhere that the water in front of Kiahuna Plantation is murky because it is near the river. Don't quote me on that though. I might have read that from Kauai Revealed book from Andrew Doughty, but don't have the book next to me at this moment.

Cathy

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Joy

Can anyone verify the fact that the water in front of the Kiahuna Plantation is Murky? This seems odd.However, I haven't been there, but am interested in a trip there. Is this an occasional occurrence, or all-the-time common? I appreciate remarks on this.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 08:17 PM
Lani

I was not pleased at Holiday Inn Sunspree - poor maintenance, sparse decor, breakfast buffet awful - now Lydgate Beach, I loved but would not stay there again. I really don't like the East Coast nearly as much as the rest of the island, despite it being more conveniently to get around the island from there. I would go with Kiahuna Plantation, or go to Hanalei Bay Resort on the northern part of the island that time of year.