Santa Monica, LA family trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from 7 day trip to Santa Monica, LA area with family of five, two teens girls and 7 yr old boy and thought I would share good and not so good.

Our hotel was Hotel Oceana on Ocean Ave. We loved it! We had a large one bedroom suite and fully enjoyed the hotel. Service was excellent, decor is Mediterranean, beautiful artwork, flowers. Pool area is very pretty. We loved the location which is in a quieter area, several blocks from pier directly across from the pretty palisades park.

Our favorite day trip was the Warner Brothers VIP tour. Very informative, lots of fun to walk on the sets of ER, Gilmore Girls, great museum, especially for Harry Potter fans. You need to make reservations!

We felt mixed about Disney's California Adventure. A couple of the rides were great - Soaring over California, Roller Coaster. But on the whole we were a little disappointed.

We had a great sunset dinner at Gladstones on Malibu beach.

And the girls loved our beach bike ride to Venice Beach.

Beth
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip; it's always nice to hear that someone had a good time in my city. I know sometimes it's not easy, because it's so spread out and, unless you look really hard, not an architectural gem.

I was interested to hear about California Adventure. I've been to Disneyland probably over 50 times during my lifetime, but never to CA Adventure. I'd heard from my friends that it's "o.k.", but if you live in California, what's the point?

I'm glad you were able to take the Warner Bros. tour. Were you able to take the 7 year old? Just wondering, since they used to have an age limitation.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 12:33 PM

Hello,

I'm also planning to go to Santa Monica this summer. Can you tell me how much you needed the rental car to get around SM, meaning restaurants, shopping, etc..? I was hoping to get away without one since I'll be staying at the beach a few days and not touring.. Thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

On the question of getting a 7 year old into WB Tour, this was not a problem for us because he is a big, mature looking 7 yr old. The age limit is 8. I was afraid he might be bored, but was not the case at all. Harry Potter display in museum is excellent, and he loved driving around in the oversized golf carts.

Also wanted to mention that we loved the SM Farmers Market! Sat AM and Wed AM, it's great.

On needing a car in SM, it comes in very handy. I love to walk and jog, but we needed the car to get groceries and get to restaurants. Although we stayed in a relatively populated area, the nearest store was 8 blocks. Some of the best restaurants are ten to twenty blocks from the ocean down Montana Ave. and you can't flag down a cab or get on the metro!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:28 AM

My family is staying at the Hotel Oceana in April and I am so glad to see your review. What type of room did you have and what did you overlook? How was pool area? No one has nee posting about this hotel lately. Did they get any food for you for the kitchen or did you shop on your own. What was the name of the store 8 blocks away? We stayed at Loews last summer but the rooms are just too small.

I jumped at your Warner Bros tour idea but my girls will not make the cur at 51/2 and 71/2, unless I want to take only the older daughter. They are both dying to get on a show set. Any other ideas anyone? They are well behaved!!

We also loved the SM Farmers Market.

Glad things worked out well for you. We can't wait to return in 6 weeeks!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Our room at Hotel Oceana was a "one bedroom partial ocean view". We loved the location. It was on the first floor directly on the courtyard, only steps away from pool. The pool is heated and the pool area is lovely. The suite was very roomy and nicely decorated. Only complaint was that pull out coach was typical, uncomfortable.

Kitchen was very well stocked with expensive food. We chose to do our own shopping. Nearest grocery store is "Pavillion" on Montana (several blocks away). "Wild Oats" is a great store, also on Montana at intersection of 14th. They have lots of prepared foods, salad bar.

Too bad on the WB tour! You may call and ask if they would make an exception. It was great.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:50 AM

Thanks for replying! I will save your info for use during our visit. Did you eat at any of the great restaurants in SM, besides nearby Gladstones?

We will be spending a few days relaxing at the newly opened Hyatt resort in Huntington Beach before moving up to SM for 5 nights.