Key West to the Everglades?

Mar 6th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Key West to the Everglades?

We are visiting Key West and my SO wants to see the Everglades. He seems to think there is or at least should be a boat that takes you over to the Everglades. Is there? If not what is the best way to get there? It looks like you have to drive up to Homestead and over from there. Is that right?

Thanks in advance!
Mar 6th, 2009, 04:03 AM

There is no boat. Yes you need to drive up to Homestead (Florida City to be more precise), but that highway is a beautiful drive. The drive itself will take you a while and there is enough to see and do in the Everglades that it will take you most of the day. I'd recommend that you book a room in Florida City area for the night so you can drive back in the daylight so you don't miss the sights and do miss the Key deer.
Mar 6th, 2009, 05:25 AM

There is a boat from Key West to Marco Island. It takes three hours one way. And then you would need to rent a car or pick up a tour or something and drive. It is 30 miles to Everglades City. That is the western Everglades.

Where exactly in the Everglades does the SO want to go? It is huge and there are many different parks and places to visit.

It would probably be best to drive from Key West to Miami and do the eastern Everglades. Where are you flying into?

You might be able to find a tour that will take you. Check out things like this:

http://www.keywesttours.us/

http://www.trustedtours.com/store/Us...ategory_ID=589

etc.
Mar 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Where? Gosh, that's a good question! All I know is that he just wants to see the Everglades. Any suggestions are appreciated.

We are flying into FLL.
Mar 6th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Then definitely hit the eastern Everglades on your way down to or back up from Key West. Try searching Shark Valley. I'm not sure where that is exactly.
Mar 7th, 2009, 05:10 AM

From Key West, the Everglades Park entrance at Florida City is the most accessible. From there to Shark Valley is another 50 miles as it is northwest along highway 41. For a short visit, I'd still suggest going to the main entrance near Florida City. We visited Everglades City last summer and my impression was that to see much of the Everglades from there you needed to go by boat or kayak. It's truly a different part of the Everglades than most people picture.