Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Key West to New Orleans in 7 days (December) - Suggestions?!

Key West to New Orleans in 7 days (December) - Suggestions?!

Oct 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Key West to New Orleans in 7 days (December) - Suggestions?!

Hi,
I'm from Germany and planning a trip from Key West to New Orleans.
The aim is, to see as many as possible of the "must have seen" attractions between these two cities. Also it would be gret not to drive more than 5-6 hours per day.

I would appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks in advance
Oct 16th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Hallo,

da gibt es ganz viele Möglichkeiten:

Erstens Miami: Sea World ist absolut eindrucksvoll, auch wenn man bereits verschiedene Aquarien gesehen hat. Interessante Architektur gibt es im Art-Deco-District in Miami Beach.

Zweitens Everglades: Einen Tag sollted Ihr dort verbringen. Die Alligatoren sind beeindruckend. Ich empfehle insbesondere eine Tour mit dem Kanu. Das Airboat ist laut und man kommt der Natur nicht wirklich nahe.

Drittens Cape Canaveral: Eine Tour durch das Museum und die Startrampen dauert etwa drei Stunden. Absolut empfehlenswert.

Wir sind von Cape Canveral in einem Rutsch nach New Orleans gefahren (ca. 10 Stunden Fahrtzeit, ohne Staus und Stress). Wir haben seinerzeit entschieden, lieber einen Tag mehr an den anderen Destinationen zu verbringen als eine mittelmäßige Attraktion zwischendurch zu besuchen. Das Einzige, was mich gereizt hätte, wäre Okefenokee gewesen - das ist ein Sumpf, wo man ebenfalls per Kanu durchfahren kann. Das kann man aber auch bei New Orleans machen. Das Problem ist, das viele Reptilien im Winter passiv sind - mit Ausnahme der Everglades, wo sie year-round aktiv sind. Everglades sind ein must-see.
Oct 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Okay, since this is an English forum, I went ahead and translated for those "German challenged" folks like myself.

Translated using babelfish engine.

Hello, there there are many possibilities completely: First of all Miami: Sea World is absolutely impressive, even if one saw already different aquariums. Interesting architecture gives it in the kind Deco District in Miami Beach. Secondly Everglades: One day sollted you spend there. The alligators are impressing. I recommend in particular a route with the Kanu. The Airboat is loud and one not really approximates nature. Thirdly Cape Canaveral: A route by the museum and the launch pads takes about three hours. Absolutely recommendable. We drove from Cape Canveral in a slide to new Orleans (approx. 10 hours of running time, without back-up and stress). We at that time decided to rather spend one day more at the other destinations than a moderate attraction occasionally to visit. The only one, which would have provoked me, would have been Okefenokee - that is a sump, where one can likewise drive through by Kanu. One can make that in addition, with new Orleans. The problem is, which is passive many reptiles in the winter - with exception of the Everglades, where they are active year round. Everglades are a must lake.
Oct 17th, 2009, 07:18 AM

You should also stop and see Palm Beach. It is about 2.5 hours south from Orlando. Great beaches, restaurants and lots of history. Its about 1.5 hours north of Miami.
Oct 17th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much so far!

I would be very happy for getting some more recommendations.

Thank you!
Oct 17th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Saint Augustine in Florida is interesting. It's one of the oldest European settlements in the U.S. and it has a great Spanish fort. At the fort you will get a real sense of much of the history of the south, from it's original colonization through the Civil War.

I completely agree about the Everglades and Cape Canaveral. They are both must-sees, one for nature and the other for science.

You might want to search previous threads that are tagged as Mississippi and Alabama for places to stop there.

Give yourself at least a couple of days in New Orleans and the area around it. Between the history of the French Quarter and the recent history of Hurricane Katrina, you'll get quite a picture of our country. There are also plantations that you can get to outside of New Orleans. I seem to remember that ther is one called Oak Alley that is really set up for tourists. I'm not sure where it is.
Oct 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Our favorite vacation destination used to be New Orleans, but some years ago it changed to Key West. I'm not sure how much time you have, but both places are unique and are worth several days' stays.

We spend a minumum of 4 weeks a year in Key West (2 weeks in the spring and another 2 in the fall), and I always wish we could stay longer. The same could be said for New Orleans - it's a wonderfully unique place.

So please don't spend so much time on the trip that you forget to spend ample time in your beginning - and ending - locations.
Oct 17th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately I have only 5 1/2 days for the trip, because I fly to New York for New Year's Eve

Key West, Everglades, Miami Cape Canaveral, New Orleans. I don't want to spend more than one day each location, otherwise I won't see the others - really annoying somehow

Anyway, that sounds great so far. Thanks again

Search this Thread