Search

Skiing Taos

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skiing Taos

I'm planning a family vacation in Taos between Christmas and New Year's. Is it better to stay in Santa Fe, the Taos or on the mountain? We're hoping to explore the area of bit. Any suggestions for places to stay and restaurants?
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM

If you are going to ski in Taos, I do not see how you could stay in Santa Fe. Maybe I do not understand your question. It is ~10 miles from the town of Taos up the mountain. And I do mean up!! The town's altitude is at ~7200 ft and the mountain is at least 9,000. I have no idea how many miles would be added to that distance if you were staying in SF.

We were there too long ago to be able to recommend specifics, but do a search as that is a topic that has come up here many times.

It is a wonderful ski area!!!
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM

I also cannot imagine why you would want to stay in Santa Fe; it is about 70 miles and would take about 1.5 hours to drive each way. After a long day of skiing, I can't think of something I would rather do less than have to drive on unfamiliar, dark, mountain roads.

There are plenty of places to stay in Taos, to fit any budget.

What do you want to spend for accomodations? Do you want hotel,VRBO condo, chain motel??

What do you want to spend for restaurants? Type of food?

A little more info would help with suggestions.

I assume you will have a vehicle? Are you flying in? Perhaps, if you want to see Santa Fe, you could do that at either the beginning or end of trip.

Deb
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

HI,
I think Taos will be a better place to stay. Looking for a 2 bedroom condo at the ski area.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 06:50 AM

One little--perhaps insignificant to you--caveat is that if anyone in your group has any altitude sensitivity, then staying in town, with its ~2,000 ft lower altitude may be good. Altitude sensitivity can be mitigated by sleeping at a lower altitude.

When we were at Taos--15 yrs ago!!---there was very little to choose from in dining on top of the mountain. The town of Taos is very interesting once you get past the fact that it is quite small, esp if you are used to an Aspen type of ski area!! However, the history and the places for dining are quite charming. Driving down the mountain for dinner and then back up---esp after a glass of wine or two, would not be an adventure I would care to undertake!
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 09:55 AM

There isn't much on the mountain as far as restaurants, most will be in town. This should help, it's from last year, some of the places may not be around:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/597666

Deb
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Here is a site that should help:

http://www.taosdining.com/Restaurants/restaurants

Deb
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 10:16 AM

I just posted on your other thread echoing the same things mentioned above. Stay in Taos if you are going to ski in Taos.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

in town or on the mountain?
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM

The road up and down the mountain is narrow and challenging in the daylight. I cannot fathom it in the dark, but I am not the adventurous kind.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM

PS As you seem to be new here, to view your other thread(s) and the responses on them, click on your name. It is less confusing for you and for people who respond to you, if you do not start more than one thread on the same topic.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Last week we drove the circle from Taos through ski area and back to Taos. I woud not want to do it night. Suggest you look into condos in the Questa, Eagle Nest and Angel Fire areas.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Taos is awesome and to ski during the holidays is special..
No way stay in SF while you are skiing in Taos..
I prefer Taos over Santa Fe anyday..have a great time!
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 02:05 PM

The prior answers are not helpful to Aspenpines' understanding.

Here is the explanation: Taos skiing is not in the town of Taos, NM. You ski at the Taos Ski Valley, which is a resort area distinct and separate from the town and about a 20-minute drive from Taos. This isn't Breckenridge where you have a full slate of bars, restaurants, clubs and shops 400 meters from the bottom of Area 9 or Whistler where you have a ski metropolis at the foot of the mountain.

As for entering and exiting the Valley, there is one road. At night, you follow the taillights of the car in front of you. It ain't that difficult.

The "circle" Ronkala discusses is the Magic Circle area of New Mexico where Taos is a point on the bottom of the circle and various other ski areas are arrayed to the west, northeast, north, etc., from Taos (Sipapu, Red River, Angel Fire). These are different from Taos Ski Valley and the town of Taos can serve you as a base for exploring those areas.

And Taos is much lower than Breckenridge so if Aspenpines can handle skiing in Colorado, s/he can handle the "thin" air in NM.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM

Russ has this almost right: Actually, it is the Enchanted Circle. http://www.enchantedcircle.org/

If you want to ski Taos, then you stay either in Taos or at Taos Ski Valley. You do not want to stay in Angel Fire, or any other place unless you want to waste time driving on dark roads after a long day of skiing. [As I said in my post above.]

I don't think altitude is the question here, vis a vis skiing at Taos.

Deb
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Bugger. Sorry Deb.

Haven't been since '05 and I bonked.

But looking forward to going back soon . . .
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 03:02 PM

We love ya anyway, Russ~

It is enchanted and it is magical here, so it's all good

Deb
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions! We've rented a 2 bedroom condo on the mountain - we're usually exhuasted after a dya of skiing - so will probably only venture into the town of Taos a few times. We plan to spend New Year's Eve in
Santa Fe and then fly home. Looking forward to some great skiing!
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Glad you found something that will work for you. Please come back after your trip and leave some feedback/trip report.

Deb