Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Key West---Southermost House Grand Resort and Museum

Key West---Southermost House Grand Resort and Museum

Apr 11th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Key West---Southermost House Grand Resort and Museum

Just booked 3 nights over Memorial Day weekend.

Give me the good, the bad, the ugly
Nothing is coming up for this B&B when I do a search....

TIA for any input!

RRR
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Southernmost Point Guest House? There're some nice responses on tripadvisor. Doublecheck the name...
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Thank heavens there's no such thing as the Southernmost House Grand Resort and Museum There IS a Southernmost Point Guest House, and a Southernmost Hotel, and a Grand Key Resort (now Doubletree). But a museum connected to a B&B? None that I can think of...

I'm really curious, though, what the heck HAVE you booked?
Apr 11th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Uh oh, now I'm worried...

This is what we booked:

http://www.southernmosthouse.com/

Maybe I got a little too carried away in trying to be too specific w/ the name, but w/ the Southernmost Point B&B, I wanted to differentiate, as they are not the same place.

Is this then the Southernmost Hotel?
Apr 12th, 2005, 01:50 AM

Well, it's not the Southernmost Point Guest House--the address is different. Your reservation is for the establishment at 1400 Duval.

Perhaps you're in for an adventure.... I trust you'll let us know--I always thought it was a neat place. First time I ever saw it, about 1991, there was a 1950s Pontiac growing in the yard. Though long gone, I always thought that was a nice Key West touch....
Apr 12th, 2005, 02:58 AM

A few years ago when it first opened, I took the museum tour. It is a really beautiful place right on the beach with a nice pool. We didn't see any guest rooms, but the building is lovely.
Apr 12th, 2005, 04:57 AM

I, too, have toured this guest house/museum. After years of walking by this beautiful, empty house I was thrilled to see it being renovated and at least partially open to the public.

When we were there, they were just putting the finishing touches on the upstairs bedrooms, and they did let us look at them. Very nice, but the prices they told us they would be asking were ridiculous, something like $700.00 per night.

The pool area is very nice, at that time, if you paid to tour the museum, you could use the pool the rest of the day. I don't know if that's changed now that it is operating as a B&B.
Apr 12th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Okay, NOW I know what you're talking about! I think it's across the street from the Southernmost Point Guest House. We've walked by it any number of times - and even peeked in recently when we realized they were open for business. At some point within the past several years I saw their prices listed and (like Jean says) they were astronomical!

But I'm sure you'll be pleased: the building is beautiful and they've spent years on the renovation. Please be sure and write a review after you return.

And by the way, tell them to change their name!!! Where's a good PR person when they need one?
Apr 12th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

WHEW! I was a bit worried there......

Thrilled to know it's a nice place and that they've definitely come down on their prices! Not paying anywhere near $700 ($149/night for one of the poolside cabana rooms). The proprietor was very nice and cut my BF a deal b/c he is military and the proprietor apparently is retired military.

Thanks so much and will definitely report back, especially since this seems to be a hidden jewel

RRR

Search this Thread