Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Key West or Sanibel in February (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/key-west-or-sanibel-in-february-903013/)

pghpaula Aug 17th, 2011 04:53 AM

Key West or Sanibel in February

My husband and I (and our dog) our planning on a winter getaway this coming February. Being from Pittsburgh, we're looking to go somewhere warm. We've narrowed it down to Key West or Sanibel. We're hoping to have a nice relaxing getaway and plan on renting a house or cottage. Here's where I need help. I think Key West offers enough if the weather isn't TOO warm and we can't sit around in the sun all day. Sanibel would be great if it's warm enough, but a beach cottage seems a better choice for May. We're not big beach goers, we just want to be able to be outside in some warmth. Our past winter (and most winters) have been miserable! I'm leaning towards Key West because I love the galleries and shops and the great restaurant options in walking distance, though we don't need the nightlife. My husband is content to just CHILL for a week so he would be happy anywhere. We also would like to have our dog with us as much as possible, so dog friendly is a MUST. I would love any thoughts or suggestions! Oh ... we will also have a car because we're driving. Thanks in advance!

LindainOhio Aug 17th, 2011 08:04 AM

We have had luck visiting Sanibel in February--We really like it there. We have been there about every other year for about 10 years--2 years ago it was a bit cool, but there was no snow or even rain when we visited.

The weather would be warmer in Key West in February--not too warm. If you aren't interested in nightlife though, I don't know why you would consider this spot. There are no real beaches--even though I know you aren't beach people, it is great to walk and read and chill for a few hours everyday on the beach.

If you are looking for a house or cabin you might have to look at the Middle Keys--like Islamorada. I have only visited Key West for a day so I really should not even be commenting on a stay here.

The beaches in Sanibel are dog friendly. I think most houses in Sanibel only rent by the month but there are some very nice condos and some modest cottages that rent by the week.

We are not avid beach people but I really enjoy walking the beach in the morning and evening. Shelling is also fun if you are an early riser. Every condo we have rented has included a beach umbrella and I have enjoyed reading and relaxing on the beach.

We love the bike paths. Ding Darling is an interesting wildlife preserve. There are many restaurants and shops--I'm not really a shopper. My husband will golf at the course there.

Sanibel lodging seems to be getting more and more expensive so we are looking around for another February Florida spot. Anna Maria Island looks really nice, seems to be a bit more affordable. We may try to visit there this year. I think there are some dog friendly beaches there.

Ackislander Aug 17th, 2011 11:18 AM

I can't imagine two places more different than Key West and Sanibel. At least you have a clear choice!

pghpaula Aug 17th, 2011 11:44 AM

Thanks for the info Linda. It's very helpful.

And I think the answer is that my husband takes the dog to Sanibel and I hit Key West by myself! Just kidding. Either way it won't be snowing (hopefully!).

garyt22 Aug 17th, 2011 01:53 PM

Because you are driving with a dog, consider a rental in Ft.Myers beach... you could side trip to Sanibel and save a bunch of money and an extra 7 hour drive to key west...

stumpworks73 Aug 17th, 2011 04:11 PM

The official weather stats are no average temperature difference between KW and Sanibel.

jubilada Aug 17th, 2011 05:08 PM

All houses in Sanibel only rent by the month by law. I don't see why Fort Myers Beach is a better choice with a dog, there are dog friendly places in Sanibel.

Personally, I'd go for Anna Maria.

SusanCS Aug 18th, 2011 04:09 AM

Key West is very dog-friendly, too.

garyt22 Aug 18th, 2011 04:36 AM

the driving with a dog is about the distance to Key West... the Ft Myers rental is about cost... they don't seem to care about the beaches or nightlife, just temperature...

Bridgit_StoneBudd Aug 18th, 2011 06:30 AM

Sanibel for sure! You can always jump on the Key West Express from here and spend the day shopping...and then come back to chill on Sanibel.

Judi_Jackson Aug 23rd, 2011 03:27 PM

I agree...for relaxing Sanibel's the place. I also know that there are pet friendly cottage duplexes that rent for less than a month.

FinallyInDaSun Oct 27th, 2011 06:48 AM

Sanibel or FMB for sure. Both are dog friendly beaches (which are hard to find in FL) and Lovers Key Dog Park allows off leash fun for your dog only about a 15 min drive south of FMB. You can always drive from FMB to KW if you want to go visit there too, and stay a bit in both places. Expect another 5 hours or so to KW from FMB.

cd Oct 27th, 2011 10:20 AM

I think you will be happy in either place. I agree with the above poster who suggested Islamorada, a middle Key and you can explore many areas from Key Largo to Key West. The drive is just beautiful! You can visit Bahia Honda State Park with beautiful beaches: http://www.go-florida.net/articles/f..._article03.htm And John Penecamp: http://www.pennekamppark.com/ and walking Key West is fun! Stay for the Mallory Square festivities!

Sanibel's beaches are full of tiny shells so not soft walking you will need sand shoes. But, you can also visit Captiva Island and the Fort Myers/Naples area. The pier in Fort Myers has a sm town square that is fun to walk and sit with ice-cream cones.

sarabaudo Oct 29th, 2011 10:18 AM

Key West seemed very dog-friendly. They have a huge dog park (by Chicago standards) near Smather's Beach. But it might be a long haul driving there with your pooch!

We travel a lot with our two cavaliers. I've found vrbo.com has the best options for renting dog-friendly condos/cottages/etc.