Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Key West - Opinions re Key Lime Inn and BW Hibiscus?

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking of a couple nights in Key West; don't need anything upscale; want to be able to walk all over. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM

I'm a big fan of Eden House -- they have rooms for every budget and a great vibe. It's about 7 blocks off Duval in old town...a very easy walk. If you're breakfast people, try to have breakfast at Blue Heaven. Also take the elevator to the top of the La Concha (now a Crowne Plaza I think) on Duval for great views of the town.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 07:08 PM

I have not stayed there but I like the location of and look of the Key Lime Inn over the BW.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Ah, the memories of Key Lime Village, aka Key Lime Inn. Many years ago we took our kids to the Keys on vacation. The hotel prices were very high and I was trying to find a more reasonable place to stay. A guidebook writer (don't remember which book) said he/she had never stayed at KLV but it looked so cute that next time he/she would stay there. Best of all, it was really cheap.

Well, it was the week of the summer Olympics and the only TV was in the lobby. The floors in the cottage were half torn up, the showers were moldy, the beds lumpy, bugs overran everything, and the kitchenette had been torn out. My husband had to make telephone calls to his office at the grocery store down the street as there were no phones on site. The swimming pool was broken concrete filled with weeds. It was the most appalling place we have ever stayed. Its only advantage was it was within walking distance of downtown. We stayed two nights instead of the four we had planned.

Still, we remember our visit there fondly because it has been the source of so many family memories. As I often tell the kids, how many motels do you remember staying in? This one--an absolute dump--was truly memorable.

I notice they claim it has been completely renovated and is now "elegant" and "romantic." Call me a skeptic, but I think I'd go somewhere else.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 04:18 AM

Pretty scary description of Key Lime Village but its not the same. Same location yes but not same accomodations. I remember being a kid and it was a little scary walking by there.
Key Lime Inn is the result of a complete renovation that happened in the late 90's after being sold to new owners. I think only a couple of the original buildings are still there, to satisfy the City Officials, but the insides were completely redone.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:51 AM

This review was just placed on TA...

"I took my boyfriend here in September which I was nervous about because of hurricane season but the weather was great. When we got there check in was easy. We went to our room which is so charming and clean. The only problem was the door wouldnt close so we called the front desk and the sent someone right out and fixed it. The room was so nice it had a plasma tv, nice bed, closet,table and chair, mini fridge. The breakfast in the morning we only went to once since it was kind of late but it was just average because it was just danishes so not that filling. The pool is very nice and clean. The area around is very nice with the hammocks and flowers. There are roosters there but they are everywhere in key west so get used to it. Another nice thing is they had a parking lot, granted some people parked crooked which made it hard for everyone to park but after you park you wont need to drive again because Duval st. is a short walk and you can be at mallory sq. in 15 min. This place was wonderful and I would definitely go back. Oh and whatever you do dont eat at Duffy's right across the street!"

Pjk
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied; will check out the info available on Eden House and recheck info on Key Lime Inn. We're thinking mid-December and it looks like availability is good.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:08 PM

I just stayed at the BW Hibiscus this last weekend. It was nothing special but was okay. One thing I liked was two separate sink areas (one in bathroom and one right outside) which is good when you have two people trying to get ready at the same time.

Location was not bad but not right in the middle of things. Certainly easy to walk all over -- I did. Up and down Duval and back and forth to the Casa Marina. (I was there for a convention which was held at the Casa Marina.)

Not sure what the rates are for Key Lime but BW-H, I paid $151 plus taxes for room with two double beds. (That was AAA rate.)

Didn't take the continental breakfast offered but it was standard rolls.

Lobby was under construction but it should be finished by now -- it looked like they were cleaning it up while we were there.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Carolldf; won't eliminate BW-H even tho it would be a little farther to walk.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:21 PM

I recommend you check out the Southernmost Hotel as well.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 05:40 AM

There are literally dozens of really nice small hotels/B&B's in Key West that aren't horribly expensive. One's I've stayed at include Island City House, Ambrosia, Harbor Inn, Coco Palms, Cypress House, Marrero's, Merlin Guest House, and Paradise Inn (which has gotten pretty expensive). There are many others. Check out the lodging section of Keywestparadise.com and figure out what looks good and which ones have prices and dates to meet your needs.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. I haven't made a reservation yet, but plan to soon; availability doesn't seem to be a problem the week of Dec. 11. We're thinking one night in Key Largo (with no reservations) and then two nights in Key West. We're driving from Anna Maria Island, so don't want to drive down all in one day. Driving home won't be a big deal.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Just an update re this post: We stayed at the Key Lime Inn and it was very nice. We loved the location and also our room. Had a great time in the Keys. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Key Largo, and if we had to do it over again, we would have stayed at one of the little places on the Gulf side just a little farther down the highway. Was interesting to see the African Queen boat that was used in the movie -- was docked right next to the Holiday Inn.