Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Key West on NYE (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/key-west-on-nye-998043/)

Jul08 Nov 17th, 2013 05:06 AM

Key West on NYE

Where are the hot spots? Please share your experience.

Dukey1 Nov 17th, 2013 01:57 PM

Hopefully there won't be a bunch of people "dragging main" on Duval but get ready for the possibility. The "hot spots" would be just about anywhere on Duval or nearby in my experience. remember it is all about DRINKING for many people who go there.

Jul08 Nov 17th, 2013 08:07 PM

sounds good :) do you think there will be fireworks or other entertainments to watch?

SusanCS Nov 18th, 2013 04:55 AM

I dearly love Key West and have been going regularly for 20 years. But having said that, I've only been once on NYE and wouldn't ever go again. The crowds are awful, everyone is pushing, shoving and drunk. It was unruly enough for me to feel unsafe.

For your other questions, there were no fireworks, but at midnight there are several places that do their version of Times Square by dropping something - at least one drops a drag queen!

Dukey is definitely right about the drinking and crowds on Duval. For someone (like me) who has a little streak of claustrophobia, it's no place to be.

Jul08 Nov 18th, 2013 07:10 PM

That's a bummer! Thanks for the tip! I would feel unsafe too. I guess I will just stick with a nice bar and spend NYE there. SusanCS-where would you recommend to spend the night and avoid the drunk crowd?

SusanCS Nov 19th, 2013 02:05 AM

The drunk crowd will be on Duval. If you avoid it, you'll be fine. There are several restaurants/bars on Key West bight where it'd be fun to hang out and won't be nearly as rowdy.

flpab Nov 26th, 2013 04:08 AM

Schooners wharf has the pirate wench that descends the ship at the stroke of midnight. Not as crazy as Duval. White street pier has fireworks. It is crazy when the slipper drops at Bourbon st bar. Sloppy Joes has the conch shell. We do Duval earlier in the evening and then settle in at Schooners. Dinner reservations are good to have but we always just go to somewhere on the marina or to Finnegan's Irish pub for dinner. It is a fun night. I miss Fast Freddie's window display on Duval now that they closed. They always did a NYE party window.

SusanCS Nov 26th, 2013 05:22 AM

Here's a map of the restaurants in Key West Bight. I assume it'll be crowded but nothing like Duval.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...&ved=0CMYBEMgT

Peter_krynicki Nov 27th, 2013 06:10 AM

The Ocean Key Resort, 0 Duvl Street, just posted this NYE special --->

Tuesday, December 31
Dinner at 8pm
Show 9:30pm to 11:30pm

DJ and dancing 11:30pm to 1am
Open cocktail, lounge and theater seating.

Key West Burlesque will put forth a stunning combination of costuming, choreography and incredible talent that will grace the stage of the Sunset Pier.

The World Famous TaTah Dujour will then lead all the revelers in a countdown to our midnight Key Lime Drop into a Giant Margarita Glass.

5 hour Open Premium Bar including Complimentary Champagne
Full Dinner Stations Buffet to include:

Carved Whole Roast Pork and Churrasco Steak,
Made to Order Ceviche, Pasta and Guacamole Bar
Salads and Dessert

Tickets $200 includes tax and gratuity | 8pm

The Burlesque is a hoot.
Pjk

NeoPatrick Nov 27th, 2013 07:38 AM

"I've only been once on NYE and wouldn't ever go again. The crowds are awful, everyone is pushing, shoving and drunk. It was unruly enough for me to feel unsafe."

And this is different for Key West than any other weekend -- how?

flpab Dec 6th, 2013 02:44 PM

omg, you all are a bunch of old farts. It is NYE and you are suppose to have a crowd. Key West is so laid back and love it. I have never felt unsafe in Key West. CNN always films down by Bourbon and it gets crazy but not overly so.