Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Key West Marriott (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/key-west-marriott-786626/)

tomms May 27th, 2009 04:28 AM

Key West Marriott

We are looking to stay at the Key West Marriott in July. It looks like a wonderful place. My only problem with it is that it is not near Duval St. It is out by the airport - my concern is how do we get to Duval Street. We have a car, but I understand parking is a real problem.

Has anyone stayed there before or have any ideas on how to get around?

Thanks to all.

SAnParis2 May 27th, 2009 04:50 AM

If you wish to enjoy Key West, you really need to stay IN the Old Town. In lieu of trying to save a few bucks (which you'd likely spend in parking fees or cab fares) splurge for someplace in Old Town. I tend to lean towards the B & B's over the hotels. Save your Marriott points for another trip, you won't regret it.

SusanCS May 27th, 2009 05:38 AM

I absolutely agree with SAnParis2. Key West is very much a walking town, and there's no place to walk in New Town (where the Marriotts are) but strip malls and fast food joints.

You'll have a completely different experience in Key West if you stay in Old Town, where you'll be within walking distance of restaurants, tourist activities, sunset celebrations, etc.

montereybob May 27th, 2009 06:21 PM

I agree with the previous posters. Stay within walking distance of Duval St. It will greatly enhance your Key West experience compared to staying near the airport.

Daniel_Williams May 27th, 2009 07:09 PM

I biked out to the airport area on mostly paths by the waterfront (gorgeous!) in about half-an-hour plus or minus, staying in the Old Town area of Key West, so presumably you could do the same in reverse, assuming the hotel rents bikes. However, like the others, I too would recommend instead staying in the Old Town. Biking most would feel comfortable with during the day, so staying in the older part of town would open the possibility of enjoying the sunset celebrations and Key West in general at night.

Enjoy, Daniel

Peter_krynicki May 28th, 2009 08:23 AM

I would never stay outside of Old Town, but this is a very typical review for the Marriott..

"The Marriott was exactly what we were looking for during our "babymoon". We lounged at the comfortable pool, ate lunch at the pool bar, my husband used the gym, the concierge had good recommendations for local attractions (however tripadvisor is better) and overall the stay was excellent. The restaurant was great for breakfast - they gave us free buffet coupons for our entire stay! Our last two nights they upgraded us to a suite which was perfect - one of the nicest Marriotts I've ever stayed in and I've stayed in a lot. The shuttle to Duval was nice but we ended up renting a car in the end so we could kick around during the day. We enjoyed the drive out to Bahia Honda state park and loved our snorkel tour with Danger Charters. Use Danger if you prefer a more intimate snorkel tour over the groups of 50. This was our first trip to Key West but we will definitely return and stay at this Hotel again - next time with a baby!"

Most reviews mention the convenience of the shuttle, but you can also bike into town (there are places specifically to lock bikes) or drive (parking will not be as much of a problem in July, but is metered) or cab (it will run $15.00 for two plus tip)

hth
Pjk

tomms May 31st, 2009 03:05 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate everyone's input.

My first choice would be to stay near Duval. I will take a look at other options.

Again, thanks to all who take the time to post responses.

tampatiger Jul 2nd, 2009 08:40 AM

We are headed to the Marriott this weekend for July 4. I think I'd rather stay near Old Town, but nothing was available. Still, I'm happy with my suite at the Marriott for a bunch of Marriott points (30,000) plus $60. I called and the non-stop, hourly shuttle seems like a very nice perk that drops off at Margaritaville! We have a scooter for two rented and the rest of our party of 8 are staying in Old Town, so this will work out nicely for us...STILL...next time, I go to KW, I'll book well ahead of time for an Old Town stay.

Have fun...I will!!!