Canadian Rockies

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 11:47 AM
Anne

Canadian Rockies

We plan to be staying in Lake Louise of Banff in early Sept. Can anyone suggest a place to stay in the 100 dollar or less range? Thanks

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 03:00 PM
bob brown

The Lake Louise area is expensive. When you say $100, are you talking American dollars or Canadian.
Today, you can divide Canadian costs by 1.47 to get the US equivalent, at wholesale bank rates.
We stayed at the Mountaineer several years ago and even then it was about $100 C and the exchange rate was only about 10% in our favor. So it cost pretty close to $100 US dollars.
As motels go, it is average. Comfortable, but not great; but not bad either.

You might consider some alternatives like staying
a little further away. In Jasper, you might consider getting a list of approved accommodations from the Park Service Headquarters.

Email me directly with a little more info on what you want to do and see, and perhaps my experience gained from
six or seven trips to that area will be of benefit.
I have my preferences and own destinations that may or may not agree with what you want to do.

Old Jun 20th, 1998, 06:47 AM
Betty

Are roads like the Icefield Parkway and other scenic spots difficult to drive. We are considering flying to Calgary and driving to Jasper with stops on the way. How about spending a night at the Chalet and taking the tour to the icefields - worthwhile? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Old Jun 20th, 1998, 12:10 PM
Melanie

The roads are fine todrive, if youare used to winter driving. If you're not, its best to avoid them.

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 03:37 PM
Bob Brown

Hi. I have been up and down the Icefields Parkway several times. To me and my wife, it is the greatest drive for scenery in the US and Canada.
I find it very easy to drive. Except for
Sunwapta Pass, it is almost flat with few steep grades. There are many sights to see along the
way. We like to drive up from Lake Louise to Jasper, and take the full day. Then after spending a cople of nights in Jasper, we reverse the trip and see those sights we missed the first time.

Don't plan on rushing it because there is so much to see. Falls, glaciers, hiking trails, mountains, the works.