Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   key west in Feb (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/key-west-in-feb-234441/)

Randy Jun 25th, 2002 06:53 PM

key west in Feb

We will going to Key West in Feb for a week for a wedding,where's an economical place for us and our 10 yr old to stay?<BR><BR>thanks<BR>Randy

x Jun 25th, 2002 07:12 PM

Economical and Key West do not go hand in hand. What is your budget?

George Jun 26th, 2002 12:42 AM

Late in the fall, check out www.biddingfortravel.com . Go to the Keys section of the Florida board. Read and try to get a grasp on the procedures to make your best bid on Priceline. You can bid anytime. But there's not likely to be much high-season availability until the season gets closer. It's going to take a little effort. But you can save substantial amounts of money... You can go there now and read back posts to get a sense of what the prices were running this past season, though that's not necessarily a predictor of this coming winter.<BR><BR>

Owen O'Neill Jun 26th, 2002 07:57 AM

It will help if you indicate a price range that works for you. Economical is relative. Priceline or Hotwire may get you something cheap enough but iti will not be in Old Town. From a convenience standpoint it's much better to stay there rather than out on Roosevelt Blvd where the chain hotels/motels are located.

Randy Jul 14th, 2002 07:35 AM

Hello again,<BR><BR>i guess i should have been more specific, thanks, i'd like to keep the trip between 3-4000 with air& hotel,etc.

xxx Jul 14th, 2002 08:31 AM

See a travel agent. It is very difficult to know what air will be from your city (especially if you don't say from where you are coming from).

Randy Jul 14th, 2002 01:22 PM

I don't want to use a travel agent i'll take care of this myself thank you.

Doug Jul 18th, 2002 11:46 PM

We stay at the Southernmost Guest House on Duval St. when in Key West. It is one of the most economical places to stay , clean and well located ( Duval St.) near the (!!!) southernmost point.

Bailey Jul 23rd, 2002 09:58 PM

I understand not wanting to use an agent. I have an I don't trust anyone complex too. The alternative is to reserch. I find that prices in any area are very competitive. You get what you pay for. I haven't been to key west in 16 years, so I can't tell you where to stay. So, lets get specific, do you need on the water, room with a view, or do you prefer to make your own meals. If you want a place that 3 can sleep, only, than I'm sure someone can help. But if you want a pool, on the shore, with a view, with a kitchen, that's clean and comfortable and has a jacuzzi for less than $30.00 a night, then we can't help you. I know there are fodorites that know a great deal of information about the keys. But your question should be "We would like to spend a week in the keys with a 10 yr old, and we want an onsite pool, and we would like a view of the ocean, and we need kitchen facilties and we want to be close to the best bars and the best beaches in Florida. Well the best beaches in Florida are not on the keys. The best view may exist, then add the pool, your streching, then add the perfect accom's, ok so when you find this perfect place in paradise, please let us all know. Ask a siily question, get a silly answer. Do your reserch, narrow your question to 3 or four locations and maybe someone can help you.

Baileyis Jul 24th, 2002 12:33 AM

Very nicely put.

x Jul 24th, 2002 04:36 AM

Beautiful answer, but I think the guy still won't get it.

karen Jul 24th, 2002 04:54 AM

I've been doing a lot of research on Key West lately because we are planning a trip there next year.<BR><BR>The above posters are very right. Key West is a little expensive. But you can get some buys if you don't want everything (ie. Pools, Veiw, Beach etc.). I have found that the Chain Hotels located out side of Old Town provide a lot and do not cost too much. But most of the advise on this board supports staying in Old Town where you can walk most places. There are still some reasonable rates to be had there. You just need to narrow it down. Key West has a great range from Hiltons and Hyatts to Holiday Inns and Best Westerns. You need to decide what you want.<BR><BR>You can get some help by going to google.com and typing in key west. You can get to several good websites that way which will give you a lot of info about accomodations. Also a search on this website can provide a lot of suggestions. You can check them out to see if they are in your range.

Brian NJ Jul 24th, 2002 06:45 AM

Try the Southernmost Motel. Very basic accomodations, but rather economical as well. (compared to the surrounding properties). Clean rooms, pool, hot tub, tiki bar and on premise rentals.

Randy Jul 24th, 2002 06:17 PM

Well I do get it, and have rented a house that I'll be sharing with more of the family, it's on duval st. I now see economical is a little far fetched especially at prime time but we will live. Thanks to those who had some advice and to you others thanks for nothing.

abc Jul 24th, 2002 06:27 PM

A house on Duval Street!!! What are you nuts!!?? You won't get any sleep! That street is full of bars and clubs that stay open very late!

xxx Jul 24th, 2002 06:31 PM

I didn't know there were houses on Duval Street.

Carl Jul 26th, 2002 04:42 AM

Where on Duval? I would be very hesitant to rent anything on Duval, even a guest room. It is the main street there and full of bars and restaurants. Kids also cruise up and down it with the radio very loud.

susan Jul 26th, 2002 05:26 AM

Randy - I hate to add another wrench in this plan, but there are new regulations against short-term rentals (anything less than 30 days) in Key West for anyplace without a license. So if you've rented a house, I'd double-check to make sure it has one, or you might be in danger of being evicted during your stay.

Scott Jul 26th, 2002 06:41 AM

You mention that you want an economical place for your family which includes a 10 year old but you rented something on a prime street so I know it was expensive and you could have found loads of things cheaper and the street you are on is basically a 24 hour party 7 days a week filled with strip clubs and bars. It is not something I would want to expose any child to.

o2paint Jul 27th, 2002 05:28 PM

We take our two boys (10 and 5) to Key West pretty regularly....and before I hear about it yes, we know it's not Disneyworld. Our kids are pretty hip to different experiences. Anyway we discovered the condos and townhouses of Truman Annex. They are priced within reason and offer all the ammenities of home plus a pool, a short walk to Duval Street and all its "charm",and there is a beach nearby (but as someone else mentioned I wouldn't go to Key West for the beaches!). <BR><BR>If your 10 year old is not too impressionable check out Ripley's Believe It Or Not Odditorium on Duval. The aquarium is funky fun and you can touch a shark. Sunset at Mallory Square is always entertaining although the Hilton opening there has kind of Disneyized that experience...it's still worth being there at sunset though!! I also highly recommmned eating at Blue Heaven in Bahama Village...it looks like a dive from the street but the food is excellent especially if you have the Banana Heaven for dessert (it is a bit pricey though).<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR>Chris