Key West Ferry- Strong Stomach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken the Key West Ferry out of Fort Myers Beach. Looking at taking the all day trip down and back with 5 hours in Key West. Is there anything to do on the boat besides look at the water? Heard that sometimes the Boat could be 40-50 miles from the coast. Sounds like it could be rough out there, do we need a strong stomach? Boat dosen't look that big. Any comments? Thanks
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:23 PM
GoTravel

Stay on deck, face the same direction in which the boat is headed, and keep your eyes on the horizon for at least the first two hours of the trip.

People get seasick from trying to read or concentrating on something while their equalibrium is trying to even out.

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:45 PM
Cassandra

GoTravel, is your comment based specifically on the Key West Ferry or just general advice for avoiding seasickness?

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:47 AM

I have taken the Key West Ferry and yes people do get sea sick. Some of the people were wearing the new bracelets for sea sickness.and they looked like they worked . It s a good trip you can sit inside or out but the day will go fast when you arrive in Key West.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:26 AM

Please be aware that the Key West Ferry is changing. It will no longer go from Fort Meyers, but from Miami. I don't when.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:59 AM

There is more than one ferry to Key West. The Key West Express runs between Ft. Myers and Key West, and the Key West Shuttle runs between Ft. Myers and Key West and Marco Island and Key West. The Key West Express service is temporarily suspended (until early October) while they modify a pier to accommodate their new catamaran.

There have been discussions about ferry service between Miami and Key West for years. I'm not sure when (of if) it's going to begin.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:47 AM

Sorry, I saw an aritcle by Mandy Bolen in The Citizen, but didn't realize there was more than one Ferry Service. The ferry (Purrseaverance) moving to Miami is owned by Fast Cats Ferry Service.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:21 AM
GoTravel

Sandra, general advice to avoid seasickness. I'm an avid sailor (ocean) and 95% of the people I see getting seasick, aren't helping the equalibrium situation.

The other 5% would be really rough seas or a mental adversion.

One of my girlfreinds sailed with me for years without getting seasick and one afternoon we encountered a gale we couldn't outrun. She got sick and ever since then hasn't been able to go out without getting seasick. She knows that it is a mental thing but can't get past it.

If you don't know whether or not you will get seasick, get a patch or bracelet. The bad thing about dramamine is that it will make you sleepy.

Good luck!

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 10:59 AM
Cassandra

GoT.: Appreciate the thoughts. But allow me to suggest your 95-5% comparison may be a bit unkind or at least un-aware. It isn't always a matter of attitude or psychological self-discipline.

I get deathly motion sick in all kinds of situations -- elevators, 360-degree movies, boats, planes, cars.... -- and always knew it wasn't just psychological but couldn't explain why. Had batteries of tests at one point and now I know why -- and I suggest that there are those out there who have varying degrees of the combination of problems I have, so cut them some slack.

BTW, I love to sail and do fine as long as I am (as you suggest) on deck, can see the horizon, and the pitch, roll, and yaw aren't too severe. (But no overnights, because I can't be below decks.) And no amount of dramamine, marazine, or other 'zines, or bracelets or patches have ever helped -- & some make it worse by making me fuzzy-headed and more disoriented. Here's the deal:

1. "amblyopia" -- my eyes don't quite work together, i.e., they don't track a ball's motion together (I'm a disaster at softball) and don't work together if I'm in a moving vehicle.

2. Visual-vestibular (eye-inner ear) coordination for balance is either too good or lousy, depending on how you look at it. I'm extremely sensitive to mismatches between what I feel and what I see -- i.e., if I feel motion but don't see it, or see motion but don't feel it, my balance goes haywire and my stomach threatens to go Vesuvius. In other words, if you don't look out a plane window or are enclosed in an elevator, everything seems unmoving, but your inner ear tells you you've gone up, or down, or banked with 1.5 Gs. Some people have no problem with this and pay good money to get their balance shook up for fun on an enclosed Tilt-A-Hurl. Not me, because....

3. Once my balance goes haywire, it does not right itself for a long time. For me, it's usually about 24 hrs., for you it may be a matter of minutes or even seconds, and for some poor souls it can be weeks or months.

I manage by trying to keep fixed on horizons for orientation (e.g., window seat on planes), doing various mental exercises when things go bad to try to keep from making things worse by hyperventilating, and not making stupid decisions about what I can and can't do without ruining my own weekend and also my husband's -- e.g., probably not taking the Key West ferry.

Not fond of the propeller flapdoodles that go between Miami and Key West either, but that would have to be the choice, sounds like.

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:58 AM

There is also a ferry from Maco Island to Key West.