Key West Beach

Jun 7th, 2002, 10:34 AM

Key West Beach

I've heard there is a beach on Key West, on a naval base, I believe, that is open to the public. It is supposed to be very beautiful and one of the nicest beaches, since beaches are somewhat scarce. I am staying at the Hyatt resort on the gulf and am curious about this beach, and the location of my hotel.

Jun 7th, 2002, 10:40 AM
J T Kirk

You're thinking of Fort Zachary Taylor. It's a nice beach, but not a great beach. It's not sand, but pebbles. There's a picnic area there that's shaded by giant norfolk pines (I think that's what they are). Actually, there are a few beaches in Key West (Smathers and Higgs), but none of them are anything to write home about. Unfortunately, the resorts have (made) the best beaches.

Jun 7th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Grglnswsh

Its Fort Zac that you are probably thinking of. It is a nice beach and pretty close to where you are staying. You will probably want to rent a bike but you could walk it if you like long walks. Here is a link to a map of Key West. You are staying in the area where Cayo Heuso is typed at the top by the cruise ship. You can see Fort Zac off to the left of the map.
http://www.boneislandshuttle.com/map.htm

Search this Thread