Key West Bars/Restaurants

Feb 26th, 2000, 10:41 AM
Lynn

Key West Bars/Restaurants

I'll be in Key West for a week in March, any
recommendations on fun bars (not gay) or good
restaurants (particularly local favorites).

Feb 26th, 2000, 11:24 AM
susan

One of the best things about Key West is its diversity of people - both residents and visitors. I know of no bar that excludes either gays or straights (or blacks or whites, or asians or native americans) so if that's a problem for you, I'd suggest you try vacationing somewhere else.

Feb 26th, 2000, 12:18 PM
Patrick

Isn't it interesting to see how differently people perceive a question. I assumed that Lynn was not suggesting she would be bothered by gays or any other group, but since Key West is known to have a high gay population and visitor ratio, she was merely explaining that her request for a bar was not for one that was primarily gay. If Susan took it that this indicated some sort of prejudice on Lynn's part, I think Susan has some sort of axe to grind. If I were requesting a bar in Madrid (not flamenco), it wouldn't mean that I hated flamenco dancers -- it would just indicate that that is not the particular type of bar I most want to visit.
In any case Lynn, Mangia, Mangia is a great, local-popular place. As is The Palm Grill. (Both restaurants.) Fun bars may vary from night to night, just walk up Duval and you'll find what looks the liveliest.

Feb 26th, 2000, 03:01 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Lynn, do a search for "Key West Trip Report" for our take on some of Key West's bars and restaurants.

Feb 27th, 2000, 05:52 AM
cmcdaniel

Lynn...for a wonderful local favorite restaurant try Blue Heaven. Great Caribbean flavor food, wonderful ambience. You'll eat in the patio under a canopy of trees--dirt floor, resident cats and even some local chickens might be spotted. Despite, you may have a wait to get in. It's also a favorite for breakfast...we didn't try that. The evening we were there they had a fantastic blues guitarist too. A wonderful experience, enough so we just named our sailboat after it! gt

Feb 27th, 2000, 04:06 PM
grogargh

I was in the Keys during this past Christmas with my fiance' and my Sister / husband. We had a wonderful time, and one the better places we ate was at a place called "The Quay." (12 Duval St) This restaurant is right at the end of Duval Street next to the pier, which (in case you didnt know) is the main street where most of the action is, including bars and stuff.

Best part was that we ate incredibly fresh seafood for about $20 each... and don't forget to try the conch fritters!

-GrogArgh

Feb 29th, 2000, 01:51 PM
Lynn

Patrick, thank you for your insight into my question, you were exactly right regarding my intentions.

Feb 29th, 2000, 01:53 PM
lisa

Mango's has very good food and service. It's right on Duval Street. Also, Kelly McGillis' restaurant has delicious coconut shrimp.

Mar 1st, 2000, 05:23 PM
christy

Louis (lou-eees) Backyard. The best kept secret. On the water on a big deck built off the back of an old restored home. No advertising. Only the locals know it. Fantastic!!

Mar 2nd, 2000, 11:34 AM
Patrick

Louie's Backyard was probably the most "famous" restaurant in Key West about 5 or 6 years ago, after being written up in Gourmet, Bon Appetit, and all the others. We went there and found it horribly overrated, horrendous service, and just overpriced. I had the impression for locals that it was geared for the tourists and since it had become famous, it was a place to avoid. But since that has been so long ago, maybe you are right now. Maybe it is wonderful once again.

Mar 2nd, 2000, 02:22 PM
cmcdaniel

Ditto Patrick's experience with Louie's Backyard...and we were there a year ago. No, it's not "wonderful once again". We were disappointed with every aspect except for the setting and decor. The restaurant was lovely with a super location--and those are the only positive things I can say about it.

Mar 2nd, 2000, 03:16 PM
Jill

Hi Lynn - My husband and I own a house in Key West and we spend quite a bit of time there. One thing I can tell you is that you will not go hungry! There are so many great resturants. We love breakfast at Blue Heaven, white clam chili at Lorenzos, and anything at Seven Fish to add to the list of already mentioned resturants. Most of these (as well as those previosly mentioned) are not really "local resturants" but are great non the less. Look for a free publication called "Menu" at a local store and talk to people at the beach/by the pool - everyone likes to talk about their favorite resturant.
The best local bars are, without a doubt, the Green Parrot and Schooner Wharf. Both provide live music and have a very interesting mixture of people. But again, grab the free entertainment newspapers and check out the bands they have listed. The Parrot has a lot of blues bands but I've also heard "big band" type music there as well.
We will also be in Key West this month so maybe we'll see you "at the Parrot".....
Jill

Search this Thread