Reload this Page >

Key West Activities for People from 24 to 80 years

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 1997, 07:14 AM
N. Jones

Planning a vacation for extended family in Key West in September '98. All adults going - ages 24 to 80. Any ideas for places to stay (interested in renting a house), restaurants, activities, etc.

Old Dec 25th, 1997, 02:57 PM
Celeste

My first question would be why Key West? All you can do there is drink, dive/snorkel, and fish - oh, and shop! The "beach" is a piece of rock with cars flying by. Plus Key West is WAY overpriced. Have you considered staying on another key (say Ramrod, or Cudjoe, or Little Torch, etc.), all about 25 miles from Key West and much more affordable and beautiful? We're talking $1000 for a week at a large waterfront home vs. $2500 a week for a comparable Key West property! I go there all the time and my sister lives there, so please feel free to e-mail me if I've activated your curiosity. Believe me, the Florida Keys are gorgeous UNTIL you enter Key West city limits!

Old Dec 26th, 1997, 01:34 PM
Mary Jane O'Brien

Try Islamorada, 74 miles north of Key West. It is the most beautiful area, very family oriented with lots of nice places to stay. You should try the Islamorada Chamber of Commerce for more details. Their number is (305) 664-9767.

Old Dec 28th, 1997, 11:55 AM
Mike Miller

Must do things for Key West: A sunset cruise on a catarmaran. A visit to the Key West cemetery. Hemingway's house. The Martello museum. The wrecker's museum. A meal at El Siboney Cuban restaurant. A meal at Turtle Kraals. Stroll the streets. Go to Mallory Square for the daily sunset carnival.

Old Dec 30th, 1997, 05:39 PM
Andy Kniffin

We have a similar extended family group of about 20 looking for a fun time snorkeling and some golf. Last year we rented a home in Breckenridge, Colorado for five days and had a fabalous time. We want to recreate that again this year during the second full week of June.

Florida would be great but so would Mexico, Cape Cod, Portugal, etc. Any Suggestions? We were looking for another home with a large eating area and kitchen.

Andy Kniffin

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 02:23 AM
Louise Kyhlstedt

Hi, we are a couple that are planning to go to the Keys, but we don't know which island? We deffinitly donot want to spend a fortune but like to stay in a nice quiet place.
We are planning to stay for 5 days in end of february, Do you have any suggestions on where to stay ? Our goal is relax and get some fresh air.and swimming. Tahnks/Louise

Old Feb 1st, 1998, 10:18 AM
Frank

Hi:
I'm really disappointed in all you Key West haters out there--if it was good enough for Harry Truman, it's good enough for me!!! KEY WEST IS BEST!!!!!

Old Feb 2nd, 1998, 04:35 AM
Kelli Higginbotham

Last year we stayed in a place called Spanish Gardens in Key West. If you don't want to "spend a fortune" try it. Very quaint, clean, and affordable. Their # is 305-294-1051. Good luck! Kelli

Old Feb 2nd, 1998, 04:41 AM
Kelli Higginbotham

Have you considered Marathon Key? Centrally located, close to Islamorada and Key West. My in-laws have a beautiful condo they rent for about $1000 per week. Waterfron, two dock spaces, full kitchen, wrap around balcony. Also there is a resort there: the Bonefish Resort. It has many small cottages situated around a pool, grill, tiki hut, etc. Right on the water. Really nice for a large family gathering. I used to stay there with my family years ago. Rent a boat for about $100 per day from Captain Hooks Marina, there is a beautiful reef right off marathon, and the snorkling is spectacular! Good luck!

Old Feb 9th, 1998, 05:08 AM
Jane

My husband and I went to Key West on our Honeymoon
in September 1997. Don't listen to all the KW haters -- this place is great. For the 20 something members of your group check out Sloppy Joe's Bar. They have 3-4 different bands all day long. Any Jimmy Buffett fans in your group? If yes then hit Magaritaville for a "Cheeseburger In Paradise". The older members of your group will probably enjoy Hemingway House, Key West Aquarium and the Conch Tour. All will enjoy the Sunset Festival at Mallory Square every night but get there a little before sunset or you won't get a good view. The only caution about September is that there is one weekend called "The Poker Run". When we went we got caught up in the middle of 17,000 (yes THOUSAND!) Harley Davidson Bikers! It was good excitement and energy but one night we had to walk 1.5 mles to find a place to eat because they kind of took over the city. It wasn't too bad but we didn't have any older people with us. They might have been frightened by all the noise! All in all -- KEY WEST RULES!!

Old Mar 31st, 1998, 11:31 AM
Carol

We're staying at a condo at the Truman Annex. Seems very nice and fairly reasonable. Walking distance to most things. They have an internet site.

Old Apr 9th, 1998, 07:45 PM
Des

Wow, Key West! Fantastic place. I'm pretty well travelled and I have to say it's the most fascinating place I've been!
Stroll down the roads and backstreets and shop and eat great Caribbean and Cuban food, take a sunset cruise, snorkel, parasail, tour the homes of the literary greats, climb the lighthouse and take pictures of the whole island, practically. Go to Capt. Tony's and check out the roughly 40,000 business cards (and other interesting loot) stapled all over the walls and ceilings, drink a Corona in the oldest bar in the Keys..... oh wow. Too, too much to list!
Just don't bring a car! Or if you do, get rid of it, because parking is hell! You can get around my bike, scooter, pedicab or the Conch Train. Also, Key West isn't known for its beaches. I'll tell you that right up front. If you want what is probably the most spectacular beach in the Keys, go to Bahia Honda beach at milemarker 30. The lower keys is one vacation you'll never regret!! It's a magical island, Key West. Go to http://www.keywestparadise.com/ for lots more info. I'm a renowned Parrot Head, so I'm a bit biased!

Old May 4th, 1998, 12:59 PM
McManus

My house is on Summerland Key. Key West is about 25 minutes away. 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath on a deep canal. Looe Key reef is about 4.5 miles out from the house. Big Pine Key is about 10-15 minutes away, key deer there to see. Contact us [email protected] weekly around $650plus deposit and other fees. e-mail for picture of house.