Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Key West ???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/key-west-97416/)

wendy Dec 25th, 2000 04:05 PM

Key West ????

My friend wants to celebrate her 30th birthday down in Key West (I don't know why she picked Key West)with a group of girls from college. We won't be going till June and we're not sure how many of us will be going probably between 5-10 of us. I guess we're looking for sun and fun. Any suggestiions from anyone as to where to stay and what to do. We don't want to go econ. but we really can't afford the Ritz Carlton either. Any help will be appreciated, thankyou.

John Dec 25th, 2000 04:15 PM

Hi Wendy. Key West is a lot of fun but just make sure your friend realizes how darn hot Key West can be in June. I live in New Orleans and almost melted there last summer. I had a good time but I did spend more time in the pool than I would have preferred.

susan Dec 26th, 2000 03:57 AM

I was in Key West the last two weeks of May last year and agree with John that the heat and humidity were terrible. On top of that, since Key West is accustomed to mild weather year round, many restaurants (and some B&Bs) don't have air-conditioning. As far as accommodations, I'd advise you to look for a B&B in Old Town, which would place you within walking distance of the sunset celebrations and most tourist activities and restaurants.

wendy Dec 26th, 2000 03:08 PM

Susan I just asked you a question on another thread about hotels but thanks for the susggestion about the B&B. John if you're from New Orleans and nearly melted I think we are going to be in trouble. Coming from DC I know all about humidity but when visiting my sister down in New Orleans in May one time I nearly came home early. Thanks maybe I can get my friend to change to another city but she has her heart set on Key West.

tee Dec 29th, 2000 09:50 AM

Can't say that I blame her! I almost wish we hadn't bought a house last year so we could move to Key West soon(er?)! It's beautiful. We just got back from there a few weeks ago. There are a lot of great places to eat - Alice's at La-Te-Da was wonderful; Kelly's Carribean Grille is also very scenic and delicious(on Whitehead Street). Louie's Backyard was very nice but somewhat pricey, too. Blue Heaven is an interesting spot to eat as well, what with the roosters, hens and chicks running around. We rented scooters 2 different days, as that is the preferred method of transportation on the island - or so it seems. You can definitely see more of the island than you normally would from just walking. Have fun on Duval Street: I would liken it to New Orleans' Bourbon Street but without all the college-age kids (at least when we went). Pick a place to stay that has a good pool because there aren't a lot of beaches - I remember seeing Higg's Beach and Smather's Beach on the Atlantic side when we were out on the scooters, but Key West is not know for its beaches. The Hemingway House and Museum is always a popular stop in Key West. We did some other touristy things (went to Sloppy Joe's, Hog's Breath Saloon, Mallory Square for sunset and festivities, etc.), but it's hard not to! I wouldn't waste my time going to Crabby Dick's (or Mobster Lobster) again. How a restaurant can make steak and lobster tail boring is beyond me, but they managed! The island is small, so anywhere you stay will probably be o.k. but you'll want to stay close to Duval Street - on either the Atlantic or Gulf side - since that's where the action is. I prefer the Atlantic side, since I'd rather not be in the crowd of cruise ship folks all the time. Trust me, you'd have to try hard to NOT have a great time!

G Dec 29th, 2000 10:03 AM

Wendy, <BR> <BR>On the South end of Duval street there is a Hotel that used to be the Marriott Reach hotel that is about the only hotel on key west with a beach. We stayed there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. It is away from the madness of Duval but close enough to walk to it. Also for the uninhibited there is a clothing optional motel/pool right next door. Have fun, Key west is one of my favorite places.

susan Dec 29th, 2000 03:26 PM

I would sure advise you to stear clear of the Reach. A poster on the AOL message board for the keys had a disasterous honeymoon experience there recently and is in the midst of negotiating for a full refund. She took pictures of filthy conditions and is offering to send them to anyone who's interested.

N Lou Dec 30th, 2000 12:26 PM

Wendy, <BR> <BR>Read a couple of your responses on different threads--in going with a group of friends I would definitely go to Key West versus one of the hotels on the way down to Key West. Duval Street would be a ball with a group of friends. Check at Sloppy Joes for when Pete and Wayne are playing. They sing and do a fun show which entails bringing people up on stage (especially if it is a group of women and one of them is having a birthday). Take a camera and they will pose with her, as well as try to get her to sing, lift her top or do something fun. (It is best to be drinking beer at this point.) Have fun! <BR> <BR>N Lou

lucy Dec 30th, 2000 12:46 PM

Isn't it real buggy then? Also, what will you do for 5 days in Key West...one day was enough for me.

Diane Dec 31st, 2000 07:39 AM

hmm? Don't know where the five days comment came from, but a long weekend could go quickly if you did a day's "fishing" or snorkeling trip, in the middle. Plus, when you're with a good group of friends, you can easily spend HUGE AMOUNTS of time just sitting somewhere gorgeous and catching up.

susan Dec 31st, 2000 08:05 AM

The first time we went to Key West we were only there for a long weekend...3 or 4 days, I think. When we went back the second time (a couple of months later) we stayed a week. Now, we stay two weeks. In all honesty, I could probably be happy there for a month. Key West is one of those wonderful places where you can do as much or as little as you want. We spend obscene amounts of time sitting on a balcony overlooking the marina and reading. But we eat out nearly every meal and never run out of great restaurants. After having been there so often the past several years, we've just about depleted the tourist activities, but could easily fill all our days - and nights - if we chose.

Lori Dec 31st, 2000 01:19 PM

I stayed at Marriott's Reach resort a few years ago and we had a great time. Our room was very clean, we had champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries sent up to the room on arrival, room service was great etc. <BR> <BR>My husband had conferences to attend, and I got a couple of calls from the front desk regarding a room change. I didn't *think* my husband had requested a room change, but told her I'd have him call her when he got in. The woman had my husband mixed up with someone else who called about getting a room with a better view (ours was wonderful!) and it seemed like she was bending over backwards to accomodate his request!

Karen Dec 31st, 2000 02:10 PM

Please - for anyone who is even considering staying at the Reach (now a Wyndham property) - please email me and I will send you the pictures I took at this dump. Please save your time, sanity and money (we spend over $2,000 there). Try the Ocean Key House or the Hyatt Key West. When this place was a Marriott, it was great, now it is a bug infested, mold and mildew haven. My husband has been sick with a respiratory illness since our honeymoon there. I am sure it is from the disgusting mold in the AC/heat units. I am now dealing with their corporate headquarters in Dallas and I am letting the world know about this place. Good luck with your travel plans!!

Janis Dec 31st, 2000 03:10 PM

Since no one has mentioned the Bed and Breakfasts, thought I would have to comment. There are a number of good B&Bs on the island. We have stayed at the Key West B&B and the Key Lime Inn. Both are within walking distance of Duval and were very clean. Next time we are trying the Key West Harbour Inn. Try something new! <BR> <BR>Janis

wendy Jan 2nd, 2001 03:32 PM

THanks everyone for your advice. I'm really gettin excited about going now.

Sheli Jan 3rd, 2001 12:56 PM

Just as much as I like the B&Bs in Key West there are also guesthouses. These properties do not provide breakfast, but they do have great atmosphere, usually a cocktail hour and a restaurant close by. We are staying at the Eden house in a couple of weeks and would recommend it to anyone who would like the atmosphere of a guesthouse vs a hotel/resort. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR>Sheli

Leone Jan 3rd, 2001 01:07 PM

We stayed in the Reach (before it was Marriott, even) in October 1989, and it was FAB! I am distressed it is now reduced to dump status. How could their management allow a terrific place to stoop so low? It is outrageous. I loved the Reach so much I still have the t-shirt I bought there - "Last Flight Out". Terrible news. Fire those s***heads and get in some new people - that was a great place. Have their management lost their minds? Ciao

Owen O'Neill Jan 3rd, 2001 01:20 PM

I spent July 4th weekend at Key West a few years ago and it was brutally hot but much nmore tolerable than Miami was. I'm from the Northeast and not quite accustomed to that level of heat and humidity. I still found it tolerable as most of the restaurants and shops we entered had AC. Can't speak for whether some or most of the bars had AC as I don't drink. despoite my teetotaler status I had a greatv time in a "party town". We styed in a guest house a block off Duval in Old Town and I highly recommend this option. I prefer guesthouses to B&B's. For us it was really a treat to be able to easily retur to the room a few times each day to wash off the sweat and relax in AC comfort. Evenings were delightful and very warm but still pleasant. I didn't notice any real problems with bugs but perhaps they're gone by July. I was only there for 1 1/2 days but between restaurant hopping, a 1/2 day snorkeling trip and a bit of sightseeing (Hemingway's House, the Audobon House etc.) there was plenty to do. For me the real appeal was the sense that we could just lay back, do NOTHING and enjoy the tropical feel. We stayed at Jasmine House, a great value and a very nice place but on a future visit I'll stay in a guesthouse that's a bit larger and has a pool on premises.

tee3 Jan 5th, 2001 07:20 AM

One more thing: (I saw this on another post) Duval Street is the home of "anything goes", and it's so true. My boyfriend and I had a wonderful time the week we were in Key West. We would love to live there. I think "tolerance" is a key word for Key West. Leave your hang-ups at home, and just enjoy yourself. No doubt, you'll enjoy the Key West way of life and state of mind...

lynn Jan 20th, 2001 06:19 AM

Owen, <BR> <BR>What is the difference between a guest house and a B&B? As I do searches on the net, the same properties come up. <BR> <BR>Lynn