Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Key West (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/key-west-773801/)

lenlu Mar 18th, 2009 01:37 PM

Key West

Hi,
I was wondering about adding a side trip to Key West and wondered what people thought with regard to bringing kids? Is there anything to do there with kids or is it really mostly bars and art galleries etc? I kind of want that Caribbean feel as well as doing the "kid" part of our trip but is it worth the drive?
Thanks!

cocontom Mar 18th, 2009 02:43 PM

Side trip from where, for how long, what time of year, and how old are the kids? Also, how are they in the car?

There are some things to do- the Hemingway House is fun (the place is littered with cats), the Pirate Museum, Mallory Square has jugglers and trained cats and dogs.

GoTravel Mar 18th, 2009 03:03 PM

Agreed it depends on where you are coming from.

Mainland Florida isn't a 'day' trip to Key West. Because it is about 150 miles of mostly two lane road from Miami, it takes on average four hours to get there, sometimes longer, never less time.

lenlu Mar 18th, 2009 05:38 PM

We are deciding on adding it to Nassau. Driving from Miami either to Naples area or Key West. This is JULY and the kids are 5, 6. We'd spend three nights in the Keys. I was there years ago so I can't say if it's appropriate, it has been too long but we'll have done all the "beach" stuff in Nassau.

Thanks.

GBC Mar 18th, 2009 07:04 PM

What about three nights at Disney?

montereybob Mar 18th, 2009 08:45 PM

I've been to Key West and I don't see how it could be anymore fun for a 5 and 6 year old than going to any local park and playground. So why drive for hours? I would recommend getting a guide book for southern Florida and looking up the things for kids that are within 30 minutes of Miami.

SAnParis2 Mar 19th, 2009 04:17 AM

My kids (almost 4 & 7) love Key West, some other things to consider would be the Butterfly Museum, the glassbottom boat tour & even the Conch Train ride. There are several very recent threads on here that may also be helpful. It is certainly 'kid appropriate' if that is your concern.

emalloy Mar 19th, 2009 04:23 AM

Drive over to Shark Valley (check www.nps.gov then click on Florida) and then over to Everglades City and take the nps boat trip out into the mangrove area. Kids should get a kick out of seeing the everglades from both perspectives.

Peter_krynicki Mar 19th, 2009 04:36 AM

If it is the middle of July you could probably hit Hemingway Days which is wrapped around his birthday on the 21st. There are various activities each day high-lighted by rounds of the look-a-like contest which ends with the running of the (cardboard) bulls around Duval Street. But they also block off a section of Duval for a street fair, and there is the Meet-the-Papas reception. Could be a fun time.

If not there are day sails on, for example,, the Jolly II Rover (a piratical-looking ship) or the Adirondak II. There is the Wrecker's Museum, Butterfly Conservatory, Aquarium, Eco Centter, all within walking distance of most places you would stay.

Pjk

GoTravel Mar 19th, 2009 08:53 AM

Yes, there are lots of things to do but Key West is going to be miserably hot, humid, and sticky and it will thunderstorm every afternoon.

I would suggest activities around being out on boats like snorkeling or a day trip to the Dry Tortugas.

It isn't fun to walk around Key West in that heat during the day.

Because there are no beaches in Key West to beat the heat, I'd almost recommend staying in Nassau the extra couple of days.

lenlu Mar 19th, 2009 11:33 AM

Thanks you guys, this is helpful. I have been thinking the heat would be brutal to walk around. I'm wondering if those boat excursions will be choppy? Anyone been during the summer months? I get seasick and so does my 6 year old.

Peter_krynicki Mar 19th, 2009 12:15 PM

Those thunderstorms, while potentially aroound every afternoon, might just as well be five miles off Key West as on it.

I've been doing 3 snorkeling trips in July for several years and have always had a good time. One time is was so calm the captain of the boat, Captain Haig of Danger's Prize, shut down the motor just after clearing the harbor. He then made a big deal about raising the sails, asking for a volunteer to help and all. Then we all just sat there 'cause there was no wind. He then asked "Anyone want to keep sailing or should we go out to the reef and snorkel?" We all opted to lower the sails and motor out.

In July you can always watch the forecast and book the day before a good day.

Pjk

MileZero May 8th, 2009 08:21 AM

In response the "there are no beaches in Key West" comment.

False: Here on the island we have several beaches
1. Smather's Beach(which stretches all the way down South Roosevelt Blvd) there is plenty of space on this beach during the summer to bring the family, Sunset Watersports has Hobie Cats, kayaks, and paddle boards for hourly rentals as well as parasialing trips ect.
2. Higgs Beach is located right off of Atlantic Blvd with a variety of watersport rentals as well as an amazing rest. called Salute.
3. South Beach is located at the end of Duval right off of South St. Here you can spend the day on the beach with a cafe and a poolside tiki bar located just steps away at the Southernmost Beach Resort (this is a public beach shared with the Resort)
4. Fort Zack located at the end of Southard St. is the most well known beach. It has two sides Atlantic side and the Harbor Side. This is a state park with plenty of parking. There are daily tours of the fort, fishing from the jetty, charcoal grills for cookouts and so on.....

I hope this list helps anyone coming to Key West to spend some time at the beach!

..and if you are driving to or from Miami there is also another beach located about 40 miles north of Key West called Bahia Honda which is truly an amazing beach, well worth a day trip or stop along the way