Chicago Hotels

Old Feb 4th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Hotels

intending to fine-tune our mid-July Chicago visit for the Pearl Jam concert at Wrigley Field -
have narrowed choices down to the Central Loop Hotel and the River Hotel - seeking recommendations between these two or possibly another suggestion - keeping in mind that I would like to be able to quickly access the train to and from Wrigley
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 07:44 AM

The Hawthorne Terrace, a Best Western property, is a very nice boutique hotel near Wrigley. You could probably walk. The neighborhood also has cute restaurants and shops.

The hotel is in an old mansion, and has tons of charm. Breakfast is included. Rooms are large and homey, and have refrigerators. A parking garage next door is reasonably priced.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ertyCode=14151
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 07:45 AM

(Maybe not a mansion, as I re-look at the pic. But an historic building nonetheless.)
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 09:03 AM

Hi, Thomas. Haven't stayed in either hotel, so can't help with reviews. Both hotels are convenient to the red line subway (under State STreet at those locations) which will get you to Wrigley Field (at the red line ADDISON stop).

As for location, you'll feel a bit more in the mix at the River Hotel, being right on Wacker near the Mag Mile. I believe this will give you a much nicer Chicago visitor experience.

The Central Loop hotel location is fine but you're further in the loop (livelier during the workday) so in the evenings, it will feel a bit more desolate. The further west from Michigan Ave. you go, the less "comfortable" for wandering about.

Also, if Cubs games are any indication, you will want to give yourself ample time to travel on the red line up to Wrigley that night. You may even want to plan on having an early dinner in the neighborhood so you can just walk to the park when you wish. Then, you'll need to bring some patience, and maybe a light sweater, for the train/bus ride back to the loop! (Be sure to use the bathroom before walking up to the station platform. I only mention this because you will take the escalator up to the platform, along with all the other concertgoers, and may have to wait for a few trains to come and go, as they'll fill up. FYI: The red line is underground downtown (in the loop, near Mag Mile), then becomes an above ground, elevated train halfway to Wrigley Field.)

Uncommon Ground is a restaurant north of there (but still walkable) that I like. Or Chen's for Asian.
http://www.uncommonground.com/
http://www.chenschicago.com/

Sounds like a nice weekend planned! Hope you have fun.
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM

I have stayed at the River Hotel and found it to be one of the best hotels that I have stayed in. The room was a bit small but comfortable enough to sleep and very clean. The staff was friendly and very accomodating. I asked for a river view and was accomodated.

You will be right in the middle of anywhere you want to go. The hotel is about one block from the State/Lake loop and undergroung train. As Chogirl mentioned, the area under the loop gets pretty quiet after about 6pm but there was plenty of activity around The River much later.