Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kentucky Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kentucky-trip-report-459983/)

GloriaE Jul 15th, 2004 11:37 AM

Kentucky Trip Report

Four of us just returned from a week in Kentucky, so I thought I would share some of the highlights with you.
Kentucky: Green, green, green, humid, historical, very friendly people.
Louisville: We spent the first three days in "Lu ah vul" and loved it. We stayed in the Embassy Suites on a priceline bid and could not have been happier. All rooms are suites and a great cooked to order breakfast was included. It was a very quiet hotel. We went to Churchill Downs for the races and won a little $$, so that was fun. We took a sceanic tour on the Spirit of Jefferson riverboat on the Ohio River, which was interesting. It rained, but were were able to go inside, so it was okay. We crossed the river into Indiana and went to the Falls of the Ohio State Park, where you can walk out on the large fossil beds when the water is low enough. We did that and saw lots of fossils, but it was pretty hot and humid out there.
We left Louisville and traveled south, stopping at Ft. Harrod, a restored wilderness fort which was really interesting. We drove through the beautiful blue grass parkway past lovely horse farms and rolling green country. We stopped and toured the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill, where we had lunch in the dining room and enjoyed the choir concert in the meeting hall. It is a lovely place. We also toured the Perryville Civil War Battlefield, where I was very moved by the history of the place. We visited the Lincoln Homestead State Park, where Lincoln's family first made their home in Kentucky, which was very interesting. We visited Bardstown, where we had lunch at a great corner soda fountain/drug store. While in Bardstown, we went to the Steven Foster Musical, but were really too tired to enjoy it like it deserved. The highlight of our trip was staying at the Maple Hill Manor Bed and Breakfast outside of Springfield. It was such a wonderful place - set on 14 acres, with alpacas and llamas. The home is lovely, historical, peaceful - totally rejuvinating. The hosts could not have been more helpful and the breakfasts were terrific. The rooms were beautful and large, each one different - we had a jacuzzi tub in ours. I absolutely loved it there and hope to return again. We loved Kentucky and all the friendly people. It's a really beautiful state. I know it would have been cooler to visit in the fall, but we only had free time in the summer - so went for it and we were not disappointed.

ellen_griswold Jul 15th, 2004 03:16 PM

Thanks for the report, Gloria! Sounds like you packed alot of fun stuff into a week. Since we're only doing long weekend trips this summer, you've given me some good ideas. Thanks again!

Connie Jul 15th, 2004 03:55 PM

My sister lives just down the road from Ft Harrod and Shaker Village (Danville) and I too love this area.

Did you get over to Lexington to where all the horse farms are? The area around Lexington is much prettier than Louisville to me.

Next time get a little further east where it becomes hillier (short mountains)--even prettier than where you were.

GloriaE Jul 15th, 2004 04:03 PM

We did get close to Lexington. We wanted to see the horse farms and did see quite a few on our drive, but our time was limited. Next time! We actually had dinner in Danville one night while we stayed at the Maple Hill Manor. Little hole in the wall Italian place, good food - can't remember the name. I didn't include this in the report, but we spent two days in Indiana/Ohio, just across the river from Cincinnati, beautiful hilly country there, I loved it.

bluestructure Jul 15th, 2004 06:27 PM

Flew into Louisville for stop on the way to Las Vegas recently, it looked very interesting from the air! Thanks for the report!

carolyn Jul 17th, 2004 02:52 PM

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit. Do come back and see Mammoth Cave, Berea, the Corvette Museum at Bowling Green, Natural Bridge and the Red River Gorge (nice in the fall), and some of our state parks--Cumberland Falls is especially nice. KY has quite a variety of scenery, from mountains to the Mississippi River and lots in between.