My family just returned from several days at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Kentucky and I wanted to post the highlights for anyone considering a vacation in that part of the country.
We stayed in the Woodland Rooms set off from the lodge. They were simple but quiet and spacious and included a wet bar and small refrigerator. Dinner in the lodge was a tasty buffet that included several well-prepared southern "comfort" dishes. Up the hill from our cabin-like rooms was a new playground for small children and a somewhat worn but adequate tennis court.
We traversed several of the trails and enjoyed stunning woodland scenery and numerous impressive stone bluffs. The falls were quite dramatic indeed. For an extra charge ($10.00 per hour) we also enjoyed trail rides on horseback.
Another nearby adventure not to be missed is the white water rafting on the Cumberland River. The Sheltowee Trace Outfitters did a great job guiding us through our first family experience. The class II-III rapids were a nice introduction for us and not too intimidating for our children (ages 8 and 11). In addition to the rapids, the view of Eagle Falls and other local landmarks were very beautiful from the river.
Having grown up in the western part of Kentucky, I never knew what wonderful adventures were available nearby.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Family winter holiday
- 2 Our next summer trip
- 3 Need Help Picking a Neighborhood in Boston
- 4 Drive Time from Philadelphia to Gettysburg?
- 5 Not a Typical Trip Report
- 6 Asheville, SC to Knoxville, TN Transportation
- 7 Advice Nashville to Washington D.C please!
- 8 February trip San Fran to Yosemite...
- 9 glacier national park to yellowstone route
- 10 Where to Eat on Kauai?
- 11 Muir Woods - new rules
- 12 Lodging in Yellowstone Park
- 13 Will Travel for Food - A Long Weekend in Philly to try a restaurant
- 14 Padre Islands
- 15 Brooklyn dinner? Bronx Breakfast? And opinions on the zoo?
- 16 safe travel idea within US to travel alone with preteen daughter and Mom
- 17 NASHVILLE
- 18 Nj to Charleston SC during Christmas bestate way
- 19 4 days in San Diego
- 20 Copper - How many open runs usually open in December at Copper Mountain?
- 21 Lodging locations in Miami for an overnight visit
- 22 Restaurants - NYC Financial District
- 23 Hard Rock Stadium - transportation to stadium or parking?
- 24 Galveston
- 25 Where to go in Florida . . . without a car?