Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kentucky & Tennessee in the Winter (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kentucky-and-tennessee-in-the-winter-265176/)

Michele Oct 11th, 2002 08:02 AM

Kentucky & Tennessee in the Winter

We were thinking of traveling down south this December break to Kentucky and Tennessee. Is it worth going at this time if we don't ski. Is the weather good enough to sightsee? Is it like Georgia/South Carolina (where we traveled last December)?

Ang Oct 11th, 2002 08:14 AM

Used to live in Ky and will tell you it depends on where you go! The Louisville, Ky for eample is much colder and can get up to 7 in of snow a year. Mind you, its not all at the same time and probably not in December. ( they usually have 1 "snow" in December of an inch or two which melts in about a day). Eastern Ky and Tn are very mountainous and get quite a bit of snow in the mountains. On the other hand the Memphis area of southwest TN doesn't get snow at all period (or at least very rarely, they did get 1 snow all last winter) Western Ky and the Nashville area are pretty similar in climate and December probaby brings temps in the 50s in the day and 30s at night but very sunny and no cold wind to speak of. <BR><BR>Where are you planning to go and what type of things will you see? I suggest that time of year sightseeing in Memphis and touring Nashville, especially the Opryland Hotel Christmas Spectaular performance and decorations there (both indoor and out). I really like the KY lake area, but these are outdorrsy activities best done in the summer like camping, boating, fishiing etc. Louisville is a great city to visit: Churchill Downs, Ky derby Museum, Louisville Slugger factory adn museum, waaterfront area and the like, but it may be too cold there in December.

xxx Oct 11th, 2002 08:28 AM

Kentucky and Tennessee can be as much as 20 degrees colder on average than SC and GA. Especially if you were on the coast. The water temps keep the coast much warmer than inland.

Frosty Oct 11th, 2002 10:30 AM

If it snows look out they can't drive in it down there. 1/2 an inch of snow will close everything down.

Michele Oct 11th, 2002 12:37 PM

Thanks Everyone for your insight!!!<BR><BR>We may have to rethink the timing of this trip as we will be traveling from the east and that is the mountainous (and potentially cold) area. Plus we really wanted to go the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.<BR><BR><BR>ANG: The Louisville Slugger factory is something that we will definatlely visit whenever we get there. Thanks for that tip! <BR>

Carol Oct 14th, 2002 01:42 AM

I want to go to Tennessee in early Dec., like the 10th. I had originally wanted to go around the 19th, but am concerned about snow. I've never driven in it. So, I'll be watching the weather and I'll see what I can do.