Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kennedy Space Center prices (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kennedy-space-center-prices-682054/)

turnercindy Feb 22nd, 2007 09:02 AM

Kennedy Space Center prices

I went to the NASA web site for KSC, but I'm still confused. They mention the Hall of Fame tickets for $17, and the general admission for $38. They mention the bus tour, but don't state if that's an additional cost for that, or if it's included in either of the other prices. Which would you recommend?

LLindaC Feb 22nd, 2007 10:24 AM

we were just there last week....the tickets are $38 and include admission to the Hall of Fame. Tickets are good for two days. I suggest getting there early- I could have easily gone back the next day. I'm in my 50's and can't believe I've never been, it's an awesome tour! Yes, the buses are included in that price. You have to take a bus, the place is HUGE. You'll see the different areas, exhibits, launch pads, eagle's nests, etc...there's a running commentary on the bus monitors which is really interesting. You don't stay on the same tour buses, you just hop on one when you're ready to go to the next exhibit. They all run constantly and we had no wait even on a Saturday. Have a great time!

egret Feb 22nd, 2007 10:49 AM

I absolutly agree with the above post.

patg Feb 22nd, 2007 10:56 AM

Just a reminder to eat a big breakfast. The KSC is great, but the food is not.

321go Feb 22nd, 2007 10:57 AM

It also includes the Imax movies.

The last bus tour starts at 2:15, so be sure to keep that in mind.

LLindaC Feb 22nd, 2007 10:59 AM

What Pat? You mean you don't like Mars burgers and Jupiter fries?? LOL....we ate at the pier at Cocoa Beach- it was fun. But it's strictly American junk food at the center, that's for sure! BTW, make sure you leave everything that would be illegal on a plane in your car. Guy in front of us had a small knife on his keychain and they wouldn't let him in. They really give you a thorough search- purses and all.

321go Feb 22nd, 2007 11:35 AM

Believe it or not, the food is actually better than it was before Delaware North took over running the visitors center. Now doesn't that just make you shudder?

patg Feb 22nd, 2007 12:50 PM

Oh, their hamburgers are from Mars? That would explain the taste.

aliska Feb 22nd, 2007 12:59 PM

We went a few years ago with our 2 daughters. We had never been there and husband insisted if he had to put up with Mickey, Universal Studios, etc. we could do this for him. He dragged us there kicking and screaming. STRONGLY SUGGEST you get early start. There is MUCH to see and do. Turned out to be one of the best days we had on that vacation. As a child growing up in the '60's, living in Ohio, meeting John Glenn, the center brought back my whole childhood, being glued to the TV watching space flights etc. The IMAX was really great too. Second on the food, it was pretty gross, but you aren't going there for 5 star dining. As an added bonus, we saw alligators crawling out of the drainage ditches twice on the ride from Orlando. Go and enjoy!

rncheryl Feb 22nd, 2007 01:44 PM

And be careful to observe the posted speed limit on the road to entrance. Got pinched, ouch...

Orlando_Vic Feb 22nd, 2007 02:43 PM

I just received the latest issue of my AAA (AAA Auto Club South) magazine and they advertise a $34.50 KSC ticket vs. $39 at the gate.

brensfirst Feb 25th, 2007 04:07 PM

I'm planning to go for the shuttle launch on 3/15. Is it possiblle to to have a good view of the launch without paying the price of admission to KSC. If so, where do you suggest for viewing? Thanks!

321go Feb 26th, 2007 04:57 AM

The best possible view is from KSC where you will see the ignition, however, there are many other good sites.

Here's the local newspapers guide to shuttle launch viewing sites:

http://tinyurl.com/hp6ej

JD_Chicago Mar 11th, 2007 06:16 AM

I plan to take the family to KSC on Friday, March 30. First time there. Kids are 14, two 11's and a four year old. I'm looking at some of the optional guided tour packages. Are any of the optional tour packages worth purchasing? Is so, which ones? Thanks, John

321go Mar 12th, 2007 02:55 PM

JD_Chicago, it really depends on how interested you are in the space program. If it's of great interest to you, then the Upclose tour which goes to the shuttle landing facility (a landing strip), past the crawlerway and the VAB, and should give you great photo ops at the NASA causeway might be good. It's a good 2 hours, though, and your 4 yr old might get really bored. The Cape Canaveral tour is interesting for baby boomers who remember the Apollo program.

There's a great deal to do at KSC with the normal admission ticket: the Saturn 5 center, the Space Station facility, the Observation Gantry, Astronaut Memorial, Imax movies, rocket garden, exhibits, shuttle mock-up (and the Astronaut Hall of Fame if you include that) will keep you very busy.

I believe that LLindaC was there with kids - perhaps she can chime in with advice as to what the 11 year olds and 4 year old would enjoy.

JD_Chicago Mar 18th, 2007 06:10 AM

Thanks 321go. You sound on the money. I thought Canaveral Now and Then would be interesting but not the kids nor my wife. But I booked it anyways and told them (I hope) we can get off and join the rest of the park crowd along the way if they want. Will let you know how it turns out.
JD

321go Mar 18th, 2007 01:12 PM

"told them (I hope) we can get off and join the rest of the park crowd along the way" Well... not exactly. You'll be on a bus going to sites that are on Cape Canaveral AFS. Due to security and safety concerns, it's a very secure area, and you'll have to stay with the group. If you look at the map here, you'll see the area. It's around the Air Force museum and along the ocean. Hey, you can always have the kids look for alligators along side the road! That usually keeps 'em amused. ;-)

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/visitKSC/index.asp

They do a very good job of telling the history of manned space flight on the tour. I hope you enjoy it.

LLindaC Mar 18th, 2007 01:51 PM

Hey 321 go! Actually, we were there the day before the Super Bowl, heading out of Miami the next day on a cruise! We were lucky to stay ANYwhere in FL that night and used HI points for Juno beach. I didn't take my kids, just my young at heart 55 yr old hubby. We couldn't believe that we had never been! For us boomer generations, remember how exciting space travel was? I tore my knee open on barbed wire in 1962 when hurrying home from grade school to see John Glenn! This is a GREAT place for adults. I can't wait to go back and take my 13 and 17 yr old kids. They will love it, but not in the way us old people do!!

321go Mar 18th, 2007 01:59 PM

We're kids at heart, Linda, kids at heart. :D

Fodorite018 Mar 18th, 2007 02:02 PM

I can help a little bit. We were there in December for the launch. So we did not do a tour, but we spent two days at KSC (waiting for the launch to go) and our kids (teens) were not bored. Even the second day, lol! I have no idea of prices since our trip was a bit different, but everything we saw was very interesting.