Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kennebunkport, Cape Cod (Chatham), or Martha's Vineyard for 10 yr anniversary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:25 AM
pal
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.

Which of these three would you recommend? My wife and I are celebrating our 10th, and would love to spend a long weekend away.

We (that is, my wife especially) are looking for:
1. A great, quaint strolling town with lots of shops and restaurants
2. An upscale Inn or B anb B
3. Proximity of Inn to the town

We've already been to the Charlotte Inn in Edgartown and absolutely loved the experience. Great Inn, Great walking town, and close to the action. But since we've already been there we'd like to try something new.

With that in mind would you recommend Kennebunkport or Chatham? (Or anything else for that matter...)
What hotel (and alternative suggestion if you have one) would you recommend in each city?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Nantucket is very quaint, charming, walkable, interesting. IMO better than the other 3
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM

I love Kennebunkport....take a peek at the White Barn Inn. I've only eaten at the White Barn Inn, and both my meals there rank in my top 5 favorite of all time. The rooms at the Inn also look great, but I prefer to stay a little closer to the shops and other restaurants.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:56 PM

You can't get much better than the White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport or the Chatham Bars Inn in Chatham.

That being said, I'm partial to the Vineyard. Although I only rent houses there so can't help with lodging.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:36 PM

You haven't mentioned when you are going. Best is not to insist on celebating on the actual date if it's during "high season".

All of those destinations are much quieter (and more economical, so you can stay longer), but still have pleasant weather in May or September, as opposed to July or August.

We used to love Nantucket. Nowadays, the island is way overpromoted with silly festivals (allegedly the reason for ridiculous rates for accomodations) nearly every weekend. The island in summer is overrun with summer folk, tourists, and, worse, day-trippers.

Of all the places mentioned, our favorite is Ogunquit (Kennebunkport is a short drive away for a visit, where the art galeries are exceptional). The White Barn Inn is sensational for dinner (highly recommend) but no ocean views from the accomodations.

Actually, we deliberately chose September to get married, as you can find shoulder season rates and good weather everywhere. We went to Nantucket on our honeymoon.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:08 AM

If you choose Chatham you should take a look at the location of Chatham Bars Inn because, although it has views of Pleasant Bay, it is not in the center of town. IMO it is a walkable distance but it may be further out than your wife wants to go.
You are definitely spoiled if you have stayed at the Charlotte Inn. We spent a couple of weekends there several years ago and only wish we could afford to go back...prices have skyrocketed on the islands as the cost of living has gone out of sight for the "regular" person. Another nice accommodation in Chatham is the Captains House Inn. Be specific about your room requirements to make sure you aren't unpleasantly surprised but they do have the ambiance you are looking for and afternoon tea too! Good luck!
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 07:51 AM
pal
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. They are very much appreciated.

I'll definitely take a look at Ogunquit as well. We've been to Nantucket and loved it, but would like to try a different place. We'll be travelling in July. I realize it's peak season, but unfortunately it's the only time we can go. Also Wyatt92, is there a reason why you would choose Marthas Vineyard over the other 2 places?

I've looked into The White Barn Inn, and the Chatham Bars Inn. They both look absolutely perfect! Thanks for the advice on those two.

The only problem is they both look like a walk to get into town. (I've got a bad back...). Do these places offer free shuttles? Can you recommend another place in town?

These 2 places I found on Frommers look to be really close to town. How about the Captain Lord Inn in Kennebunkport, or the Chatham Wayside Inn? Do these places even come close to The Charlotte Inn in terms of style and service, etc.? Are they "good alternatives"?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Something about the Vineyard just really appeals to me. It could be that I always rent a house for a week so I feel very relaxed while I'm there.

I like Nantucket but prefer the Vineyard because, in general, I find it less pretentious and less expensive. I think it would be perfect for a 10th anniversary, nice beaches, restaurants, scenery and shopping. Sorry I can't recommend lodging.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Of the three, we've only been to Kennebunkport (on an excursion from our cruise ship) and we absolutely loved it. I won't soon forget the fantastic blueberry pie we had there too!

Sue
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:44 AM

We've never stayed at the White Barn Inn for the reason you've just stated...it's a bit of a walk from most of the other action.

For Kennebunkport, you should target inns/B&Bs that are a very short distance from Dock Square. Some suggestions:

* The Kennebunkport Inn (we've only stayed at the River House rooms - not the main inn...but the main inn looks very nice and is close to Dock Square)
* The Captain Lord Mansion/Inn
* Captain Jefferds Inn

There are a ton of B&Bs in Kennebunkport, but these three came to mind first. You can then drive to White Barn Inn for dinner (they valet park) or arrange for other transport through your hotel...I feel like there may be a horsedrawn carriage option in Kennebunkport, but I may be making that up. ;-)

Grissini's in Kennebunkport is also excellent (though not same WOW standard as White Barn Inn) and has a great atmosphere.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 09:17 AM

What time of year do you plan on taking this getaway?

I agree with Wyatt, and vote for Martha's Vineyard! I like the variety of the different towns. And the variety of scenery and beaches. There are loads of beautiful walking trails maintained by different conservation organizations. Interesting shops and good restaurants too!

September is my favorite month to visit the Vineyard. The water is still warm enough for swimming, and most things are still open, yet all those mobs of summer tourists are gone!
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:29 AM

I have stayed at the Captain Lord Mansion in Kennebunkport 5 times w/ my husband. A beautiful Inn very close to town. We love it there!
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Pal-I have stayed twice at the Hob Knob Inn in Edgartown and really love it. It has a very airy, clean feeling rather than a more cluttered Victorian feeling. Best wishes!
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Although we have eaten several times (lunch was just OK...not known for fine dining) at the Wayside Inn we have never stayed there. It is in the center of town so it has the location you are looking for but according to friends who have stayed there, it is not up to par with the luxury inns like Charlotte Inn in Edgartown or the resort of CBI. It does not have the "over-the-top" luxury and services that the high-end resorts offer. For a weekend stay why not go back to the Charlotte Inn...If price is not an issue, how can you go wrong?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:26 PM

I vote for Nantucket. If you loved Edgartown, you will love Nantucket - like a bigger more quaint version of it.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM

Based on what you are looking for, Martha's Vineyard is your best bet. After many visits to all these places over the years, I think you will be very satisfied with the Vineyard. It is the best of the bunch. Enjoy!