Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kennebunkport, Bar Harbor or Somewhere Else? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kennebunkport-bar-harbor-or-somewhere-else-689198/)

lcepjv Mar 19th, 2007 09:30 AM

Kennebunkport, Bar Harbor or Somewhere Else?

I read these boards all of the time and find everyone's advice very helpful, so I thought I would try posting a question myself in hopes of getting some help from everyone. My husband and I (we are in our late 30s) are planning a trip for late June or late July for 3 to 5 days. We decided on Maine - we are looking for a place where we can just relax and enjoy nice weather, beautiful scenery (something along the ocean) and explore a few sites or shops. Maine seems like it fits the bill. I am pregnant and this will be our last trip before having the baby so we would like to splurge. We are not B&B people typically; we prefer nice, top of the line hotels. In researching Maine, I've come up with two possibilities - the White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport or the Bar Harbor Inn in Bar Harbor. Does anyone have any thoughts on the two towns or the two hotels? Is there enough to do in either place to merit staying for 3 or more days? I could really use some help and input on this trip and thank you in advance for any advice and guidance.

seashell Mar 19th, 2007 09:56 AM

I can't speak for the White Barn Inn but we did stay a week at the Bar Harbor Inn and there is definitely enough to keep you occupied. And the place is beautiful and right on the water. You are walking distance to the whale watching tour (sorry can't remember company name), small shopping area and they have a windjammer there at the hotel that you can take out for sightseeing cruises. And Acadia National Park is just down the road. Enjoy!

bennnie Mar 19th, 2007 11:18 AM

I think there is more to see and do in Bar Harbor than Kennebunkport, though both places are very nice. As seashell mentioned, Bar Harbor has Acadia which is lovely to drive through with places to stop along the drive. Plus there is the Jordan Pond House to get your fill of popovers and blueberry ice cream. Horse carriage rides are also available. The town has nice shops and restaurants. And there are other nearby towns that are worth visiting too.

Kennebunkport is closer to Portland and Portsmouth NH which both have nice restaurants and shops. Don't think the White Barn Inn is on the water but I think they have a sister inn that may be.

Either way you'll have a lovely relaxing time. And congratulations on the baby.

MBnancy Mar 19th, 2007 07:32 PM

We've been to Kennebunkport 15 times. Have stayed mostly at the White Barn Inn, but also their sister properies, the Beach House (across from the ocean) and the Breakwater, just this past Oct. Always have dinner at the WBI Restaurant, the only 5* in ME. All excellent places. The WBI has a lovely pool and patio area and it's not far from the ocean.

You can take day trips from KP. We like to drive up to Freeport one day, and shop in the cute storefront outlets in town, have lunch, and return in the afternoon.

Have been to Bar Harbor about 4 times and there are many physical things to do there, bike, hike in the Park.

Have a good time.