Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in southern Utah next week. We are photographers but NOT hikers and will not have a high clearance vehicle. What areas will fit the above criteria in the National Monument?
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 01:28 PM

My wife has foot problems, so she did not walk to Calf Creek Falls, but all other pictures in the Escalante area were taken close to the car.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...57623176227912 and the following pictures.

I don't think that a high clearance was essential, but I have my doubts about a two-wheel drive--a Subaru could probably have made the trip we did.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Hi susnobie,

When you get to Escalante you will realize that you do need to do some walking. The good thing is that the entire area is so amazing that you can enjoy great photo ops everywhere in every direction.

A couple of suggestions - Devil's Garden, off Hole in the Rock Rd. The road is graded gravel and you will be fine in an all wheel drive. Do not go if it is raining or has recently rained. Check at the Visitor's Center.

Burr Trail - drive as far as the pavement goes and there are good photo ops.

You could also park at the Fremont River trailhead off Hwy 12 and walk as far up the river as you feel like.

Calf Creek Falls is spectacular, but it's a rather long 5 mi. hike and lots of people. Go very, very early, or late afternoon - give ourself enough time to get there while the sun is still on the falls.

If you have not visited southern Utah before, dawn and sunset are the best photography times. Best light on the red rocks and interesting shadows.

Have fun!
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 05:57 PM

Grand Staircase- Escalante can be reached via either hwy 89 between Kanab and Page or Hwy 12 between Bryce and Boulder.

Which one will you be traveling?
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 06:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I second Devil's Garden. I went there twice with an ordinary car.

Lower Calf Creek Falls is worth the hike but it is a 2 1/2 mile hike with little shade.

Just below Cannonville that's a bit east of Bryce Canyon you have Willis Creek slot canyon.

Getting there is an adventure (there's a visitors center in Cannonville) but walking Willis Creek is very easy. It's level and the creek is barely there. The drive is an adventure.

You can get beautiful pictures at both of these.

You can see photos of these places at:
www.travelwalks.com
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 08:30 PM

Since Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument is not a developed park, voiding hiking and a high clearance vehicle options is a problem. Recommendations above are valid. The last 5 miles of Hole In The Rock does required a high clearance (4 WD last time I was there). Before driving that road, understand its incredible history. Google "Hole In The Rock".

In Escalante, "Hell's Backbone Road" ( Bridge) is scenic. Google it.
Also Highway 12 from Bryce is exceptionally scenic especially the 'hog back'. Google "Highway 12 hogback".
Photographing "Goblin Valley State Park" at sunrise/sunset is a challenge.

Comment on "Burr Road". God's Cleft is a short slot, but is a challenging slot to photograph. It is 11.8 miles from highway 12 on the left side behind a cottonwood tree.
A side trip off that road goes to some excellent (rare) black petrified wood. A one mile hike, one way, on easy terrain is required. You MAY be able to drive there if the road is very dry. Please do NOT take any

Kodachrome State Park 'pipes' are fun to foto especially the Ballerina - 1/2 mile walk, or so. Google the park

Vaga
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your input. InSandy, I did goof by not stating that we will be on the lower side traveling from Page to Zion vie Kanab. We traveled Highway 12 in 2011 from Arches to Bryce.
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 09:11 PM

You will be traveling on highway 89, not 89 A.
At MP 19.2 is a turn off north to a hiking trial of scenic'toadstools'. About 400 yards ? Take your camera. If not obvious, drive to MP 20.7 and ask the ranger.

Suggest stopping at Old Paria Ghost Town at MP 307. It is a 4 mile dirt road drive and should be good for all cars - depending on last weather storm. Sign may state 4-WD, but...

In addition to being historic (see below), this ghost town hosted several movies of which Outlaw Josie Wells was the most famous. Visit the cemetery and walk to the river. And, it is exceptionally scenic.

In 1865 Peter Shirts made the first settlement in this area. Other pioneers followed but were forced to vacate because of Indian raids. The town was resettled upstream in 1870; church and school buildings were erected under the direction of William Meeks, presiding elder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The post office was established prior to 1893. Considerable progress was made in farming and stock raising until repeated floods destroyed property, forcing the inhabitants to leave.

Pahreah was a successful town by being able to grow food here and serve the social and economic needs of the farmers in this area. The population of about 47 families peaked at about 107 people Mormons in 1884. By 1895, the people could no longer tolerate the constant flooding and started to move out. Most moved by 1885. In 1912, Charles Spencer was unsuccessful to extract gold from the Chinle Clays much like he tried at Lee’s Ferry. The post office closed on 1 March 1915. The last resident left around 1942.

Vaga
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 06:43 AM

The old Paria movie set of was fun to see, but unfortunately vandals set fire to it many years ago. I haven't been there personally since the arson, but it seems nothing is left.

However, the Paria area is still very interesting and beautiful to visit if you are passing by! If you had a 4x4 you could drive up the river a ways if the water level is low enough. I've done it and it's a beautiful canyon.

http://www.amwest-travel.com/awt_oldparia.html
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 03:35 PM

Vandals burned that incredible and historic town is disgusting.
It was one of my favorite 'old western town' stops.

I still recommend visiting it. Across the river are some homestead - if not vandalized.

Word of caution about driving in the river. I drove my off-road motorcycle up the river. I crossed a dry sandbar and back into the river.

Oops that part (of many) of the river was quicksand causing my M/C to sink. After a well fought battle pulling on the front wheel, I was able to rescue my bike.

Len

Vaga
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 10:19 PM

Thank you for your reply susnobie. That does make a difference, and most of the advice was for the other portion of the road.

From Page to Kanab the opportunites to see the monument without hiking are more limited. I would recommend the following.

1- visit the Big Water visitor center just north of Page.
2- If you can walk a short distance the Paria toadstools at milemarker 18 or 19 would be a great short stop.
3- Johnson Canyon. You can go as far as you feel comfortable, though the road was graded very well last time we went. The old Gunsmoke film set and where a portion of Josie Wells was filmed is not too far up the road and is still standing on private property so can only be seen from the road, but still worth a stop.
4- You will be driving through the Coxcomb which is stunning and along the Vermillion Cliffs- one of the "steps" in the Grand Staircase.
5- In Kanab is the Interagency Visitor Center. I have yet to visit it so don't know if there is anything worthwhile to see if you don't need a permit or advice.
6- north of Kanab you begin to see parts of the Grey cliffs along the east side of the road. (another "step")

BTW the white cliffs you can see in Zion and the Pink Cliffs are in Bryce each another part of the staircase.

The drive goes fairly quickly, enjoy it.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 02:59 AM

If it is rt 89 that you are planning on taking to/from Kanab check out this site so you know what to expect along the way:

http://www.udot.utah.gov/kanab89/

Conditions will probably be better when you go, but it is good to be aware of what's ahed.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 06:11 PM

susnobie,

If you see this enroute thru Kanab, you might like to stop off at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary and take a tour. Wonderful place, lovely people doing great work in beautiful Angel Canyon.