Reload this Page >

Kenai Fjords/Ressurection Bay-need advise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 05:39 PM
Simone Roisman

Do you think it is worthy ($$+tiring)to take the Kenai Fjords Cruise the same day we arrive from a 7 day Alaska cruise or should we take the Discovery Bay Cruise, which is cheaper and shorter? We will be leaving the next day for Anchorage by train, at approx 6PM. Should we choose the dome seating?

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 05:53 PM
GOL

What month? When do you arrive Seward?

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 04:18 AM
Simone Roisman

Cruise is July 2001 (20 through 27), Vancouver to Seward.

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 06:13 AM
wanda

I don't think that you would see anything different on the fjourds or the discovery bay tours that you will see on your cruise. I would think that you will see glaciers and puffins and sea mammels on the cruise from Skagway to Seward , if you are coming that way.
As for the train, I would try for the dome seating as there is a lot to see from Seward to Anchorage and there will be plenty of daylight hours left, probably all night.

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 07:11 AM
Patrick

While we are on this subject --we will be there also the end of July, but not on a cruise --driving down from Fairbanks and Denali then staying in Homer and Kenaii Wilderness lodge. But then we have a few days before leaving to drive up and around to Skagway, etc. What day cruise in the Kenai Fjords if any should we do and from where? Seward? I had read that some of the day trips are too short, some too long, some too crowded, etc. Anyone know a smaller nicer one than the usual cattlecars?? Any other advice for a couple of days activity in the Seward area?

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 07:42 AM
norena

We took the Kenai Fjords Tour which left around noon and return about in the area of 6:00 PM. We were able to book it with their dome train car which was attached to the regular Alaska Railway cars. It took us from Seward to Anchorage and the train waited for the tour to arrive before it left.

We had a May Sun Princess cruise from Vancouver to Seward via Glacier Bay and did not see anything on the cruise to compare with all the sea mammals and other creatures we saw on the Kenai Fjords Cruise. It was one of the main highlights of our trip. The scenery on the Kenai Cruise and the Dome trip to Anchorage from Seward was awesome!

We did not find the day to be tiring because Alaska had longer daylight hours and it was still daylight when we arrived in Anchorage and checked into our hotel.

By doing it this way, we did not have to spend the night in Seward (which is very tiny) and we had more time to spend in the rest of Alaska (Denali etc.) with the car we had rented in Anchorage. It was a fantastic trip!

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 10:32 AM
Joette Kunse

The Kenai Fjord Cruise will get you within much closer than the cruise ships to a glacier and the where the sea lions and whales hang out. It was the highlight of our Alaska trip. The dome car on the rr is usually open and you will see sheep and possibly moose along the way. The tour guides on the train are wonderful.

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 02:08 PM
GOL

Here is a partial-clip from my trip report.

and made our first stop Seward. I'd advise the 9 hour tour (Kenai Fjords Tours Northwestern tour) instead of the 6 hr tour - only because you are on the boat longer and have a better chance to see wildlife, plus the glaciers/fjords in the Southwestern/Northwestern are beautiful. Their tour is fantastic and should start your trip out with a bang (assuming you will take the same tour company). We saw sea lions, seals, sheep, Puffins, other birds and rookeries in the rocks. Plus a Humpback whale. The tour company took enough time to see the animals, and the captain/guide was pleasant and informative. We came very close to a few glaciers, and spent a while "listening" to them.

We also visited Exit Glacier. A treasure. Take the time to walk the 200' or so up to touch the glacier. The view is worth it and it isn't hard at all. The day was sunny - We stood on a rock with a 360 degree view of the Sitka-spruce lined mountains and the beautiful ice-blue Exit glacier. While on the rock (part of the 200' walk) I said I was on the most beautiful spot on the planet...
---end
There are other, smaller tour boats in Seward. I would not call the one we were on a cattle car, especially if you are coming off a cruise (which I know you aren't, Patrick).