Kayaking: Valdez or Whittier?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your opinion, which town is better for kayaking, Valdez or Whittier?
We are doing a Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward, so we thought it would be redundant to kayak out of Seward also.
Any thoughts?
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Molly--we kayaked out of Valdez through Anadyr Adventures and it was very nice, but I haven't done any trips out of Whittier so I can't compare. What I *can* say is I wouldn't make a special trip to Whittier if kayaking is your only reason for going. Valdez isn't exactly a charming city, but Whittier is downright depressing and there's not much there. We drove through after getting off the ferry from Valdez and I was very glad we hadn't opted to spend the night.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 07:39 PM

We were in Alaska June29-July 12th.
We chose to kayak out of Seward and were really disappointed with the service and trip. The cost was extremely high, the main reason we chose the trip was we were told significant wildlife-(1 eagle, a family of harlequin ducks and 1 sea lion is all we saw) did not justify the extra $30.00 we paid for this trip- and for a family of 5 we were very limited in the distance they allowed us to travel.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Either area offers great kaying with an edge toward Valdez. You may also want to consider one of the boat tours that takes you out for kayaking?? You aren't going to see much wildlife since you don't get out very far, no matter where you go out of.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 09:43 AM

My Husband and I are planning on Kayaking out of Valdez but I am having trouble finding the web site I saw on line one day. It is not Anadyr or Pangaea. This companys pictures on the site were amazing and they drive you to the spot instead of taking a boat so you have more time to Kayak. From everyting I can tell Valdez has the best Kayaking.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM

If you're looking at multi-day kayaking, Whittier is the place, as you can go to College Fjord. For a few hours, though, Valdez is much better - MUCH better weather and much more interesting town!
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 07:42 AM

We didn't kayak, but were in both Valdez and Whittier and I really liked Valdez, Whittier not so much. But the weather was wet, cold & yuck the day we were in Whittier so that could be a big difference. I was so glad we hadn't planned any water activities the day we were in Whittier.