Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kayaking-Prince William Sound (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kayaking-prince-william-sound-228424/)

Marney Jun 5th, 2002 12:35 PM

Kayaking-Prince William Sound

We are visiting Alaska for 10 days during the last part of June. We will be traveling between Anchorage and Seward. We would like to do a little kayaking on the Prince William Sound. We have done some kayaking on the Monterey Bay, so we have moderate experience. Any recommendations? Anything else you might recommend that we should not miss? Thank you.

Sebulba Jun 7th, 2002 03:24 AM

Just came back from our Alaska trip. I would definitely suggest the Anchorage-Valdez-Whittier-Seward-Anchorage loop. We took Glenn highway (Spectacular) and trekked at the Matanuska Glacier - I recommend it. You can witness the Tran-Alaskan Pipeline on Richardson highway. Stopped at several drive thru glaciers passes and waterfalls on the way to Valdez. Took the ferry from Valdez to Whittier on Prince William Sound and it was gorgeous. Kayaking at the Whittier Bay is a must - waterfalls, rookery, wildlife, all-in-one experience. We also hiked to the Portage pass right before the tunnel at whittier. Really good hike where we saw two bears (from around 200 feet). I would also suggest the kenai fjords cruise and Exit Glacier at seward and try to stay at Discovery Cabins in Hope (18 miles from seward highway)- Wonderful place. Let me know if you have any other questions.

marney cox Jun 7th, 2002 10:35 AM

Thanks you for the info! Re: kayaking at Whittier Bay....is there an outfitter you liked (or is there only one?)? Is it appropriate for moderately-experienced kayakers....we are not experts! Also, when you refer to trekking at the Matanuska Glacier....is anything special besides hiking boots, etc. necessary? Thanks again.

Sebulba Jun 11th, 2002 09:55 PM

There is only one outfitter at whittier bay, you can't miss it. No special gear needed. All you need to know is some swimming. Thats the only pre-requisite. The bay is usually calm and the double kayaks are amazingly stable. There is a trekking tour provider at the edge of the matanuska glacier who will provide you with all the gear you need. The tour, if I remember it, costs $40/person. If you do not want to get on the glacier itself, hiking boots are more than enough. Have Fun.

Kent Zavacky Jun 15th, 2002 11:51 AM

Marney ,first going at perfect time , weather on coast anywhere in southcentral can be unpredictable though but will have plenty of light., Much kayaking out of Seward particularly Caines Head state recreation area otherwise best suggestion(though will cost) is to have a boat drop you out in one of Bays in Kenai Fjords National Park, can camp or if available approx 2 or 3 cabins(in Park - in calm inlets).<BR>Also best (without a doubt) Kayaking experience is to get a USFS cabin in Prince William Sound and Kayak around. They are 35$ a night, very rustic ,but when its raining is heaven to come back to. There are over 40 of these rustic us forest service cabins in Chugach National Forest. over 200 in all of Alaska, and well even 2 nights or 3 will be highlight of your trip. These cabins are Best Kept secret except if live in Alaska. You can find all on web also. I lived in Alaska 7yrs-gave tours and worked for National Park Service in Anchorage(1st stop is Alaska Public Lands Information Center-4th and F st). If want more info contact me by mail. I have been to a number of fly/boat in only cabins and well you cant top experience. In Alaska must be prepared 100% . Hypothermia will kill in minutes before anyone drowns. Cant underestimate this!!!