Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kayaking in California (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kayaking-in-california-614741/)

lovetofish May 11th, 2006 06:53 AM

Kayaking in California

I am traveling to Monterey and Morro Bay area in late June. I am wondering if anyone knows which would be better to kayak in with 10 and 13 year old girls? Thanks!

While we are at it, any recommendations for fly-fishing in Yosemite, Tahoe, Big Sur?

starrsville May 11th, 2006 02:31 PM

One of my favorite travel memories ever was kayaking right in Monterey Bay. The rental shop was just a couple of blocks from the hotel. I was at a sales meeting and two 15-year old daughters of friends joined our group. It was an absolute blast. Crossed paths with one of the girls a couple of years ago - all grown up - and that kayak afternoon and the Hearst Castle trip were things she was still talking about. One otter actually slipped up on the bow of my kayak. Great fun!

Can't speak to Morro Bay.

J_Correa May 11th, 2006 03:05 PM

Both are excellent choices.

Depending on the tides, the waters around Monterey can be a little rough, or they can be very smooth. If the water conditions are good, Monterey would probably be my choice for the scenery and wild life.

Morro Bay is good too - the harbor is sheltered by a sandbar so it is really peaceful. You rent the kayaks where the rest of the boats dock and then paddle along the sandbar beyond the boats. There is a fair amount of wildlife in the harbor too.

You really can't go wrong with either - unless you end up with rough waters in Monterey, then it wont be as fun.

For fly fishing, I am not sure. Maybe someone else can help.

h0b0 May 11th, 2006 03:34 PM

We had several families kayak together in Monterey Bay recently and it was GREAT. You can see all kinds of seals, otters, etc... never kayaked in Morro Bay but I'd guess there's more wildlife in Monterey.

lovetofish May 11th, 2006 05:22 PM

So far, so good! Thanks for the feedback. I hope to kayak Tomales Bay also. Waiting for a reply from a place to stay to pull an overnight so we can Kayak to the Tule Elk herd. Anyone out there with fishing ideas for Lake Tahoe area, Yosemite, or even right on the coast from docks, we will be everywhere from Jenner to Morro Bay. Thanks again for the insights!

lovetofish May 11th, 2006 05:24 PM

One last question (for now). Should I drop a third night stay at Best West. in San Simeon and add a 2nd night at Carmel River Inn Carmel?

Wm May 12th, 2006 08:21 AM

As noted in an earlier post, Monterey Bay can be a quite rough and cold especially if it's foggy which it will likely be in June. We've kayaked the Elkhorn Slough in Moss Landing which is north of Monterey. The wildlife here is "up close and personal." It will be warmer as you go inland from the little fishing village of Moss Landing. We prefer the slough over Monterey Bay as it is more peaceful and relaxing--the landscape is beautiful. We start at Moss Landing, picnic at park headquarters then return to Moss Landing. Do know that your trip back to Moss Landing will likely have you going into the wind if your return is after 2 pm or so. Enjoy!

Catbert May 12th, 2006 08:37 AM

I was going to suggest Elkhorn Slough as well. It's a great place for families.

We were in Morro Bay last week and watching the kayakers made me want to join in. It's really beautiful there.

janisj May 12th, 2006 09:25 AM

lovetofish: Can't help you w/ the flyfishing questions. It has been years since I did it and mostly in far northern CA. I do have some ideas about fishing in the Tahoe region but probably not as accurate as you'd get from some others.

I suggest you start a new thread w/ that topic. "Kayaking in California" is obviously about the coast and most anglers wouldn't think to open it for a question about fly fishing.

try something like "Flyfishing in No. California, especially near Tahoe Yosemite?" Are you from out of state? If so, be sure to also ask about fishing licenses/stamps.

J_Correa May 12th, 2006 10:02 AM

I would definitely choose 2 nights in the Monterey area and 2 nights at San Simeon over 1 night in the Monterey Area and 3 nights at San Simeon.

There is a lot to see in and around Carmel and Monterey. San Simeon is nice, but it is very quiet. There isn't much of a town there - Cambria and Morro Bay are within a 30 minute drive though.

JayZee May 12th, 2006 10:22 AM

I flyfish on the Truckee river, east of Truckee, which is just north of Lake Tahoe.