Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kavey requests San Francisco, Napa and Sonoma advice…

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Kavey

My husband and I will be visiting SF for 1 week only at the end of July 2001 to meet up with my sister who will be 5 months into her world travels by then.

All 3 of us have been to SF before, my sister and I about 12 years ago, and my husband and I in 1996 at the end of a grand fly drive of California, Arizona, Utah…

I would like to ask for your advice on a proposed itinerary, accommodation and special sites to see.

Firstly my proposed general plan:

All 3 of us land at about midday on Sat 21st in SFO. I propose to spend 2 nights in SF itself which gives us the remains of Saturday and all day Sunday in SF. On Monday morning I thought we could drive out to Napa/ Sonoma for 3 days/ nights. Thursday morning we could head back into SF for 2 further nights, giving us remains of Thursday, all day Friday and most of Saturday in SF again before an evening flight out of SF.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Kav cont'd

Firstly, does this split sound reasonable? My sister will want to spend a little more time in SF than I would perhaps choose myself having been there more recently, also my husband and I want to do a little shopping on top of the sightseeing. We have been recommended to get out to Sausalito during the SF time too.

Secondly I would like advice on the Napa/ Sonoma aspect. These are my options.

Spend all 3 nights in Napa, (exact location dependent on advice received).
Spend all 3 nights in Sonoma, (exact location dependent on advice received).
Spend 1 night in Napa and 2 in Sonoma or other way round.
Spend each night in a different place whilst doing a loop from and back to SF.

My decision depends on hotel prices and availability and advice received from you. I am the non – wine drinker but that means I can do the driving and I will get a lot of pleasure from the scenery and watching my husband and sister enjoying the wine. Also I believe the culinary experience is great in the wine country so that will keep me happy.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Kavey cont'd

Lastly I would really like some recommendations on hotels/ inns for both SF and Sonoma and Napa.

I realise in US that hotel rooms can cater for more than 2 adults but we will want either 2 separate rooms or a suite with an extra bed in the separate living room.

Ideally I would like to budget no more than $1000 US for accommodation for all 7 nights for all 3 of us with the arrangement above.

That works out as about $50 per person per night. I don’t think this will be too bad for the double but will no doubt be impossible for the single so I may have to revise it.

What I want are pleasant, comfortable accommodation with a little charm and individuality, rather than a holiday inn or motel. But I don’t expect luxury for my budget price!

As I am looking for 2 rooms and at a busy time of year I would be very grateful for all advice as soon as possible as I hope to start contacting accommodation establishments as soon as my itinerary is fixed.

Many many thanks for your help

Kavey

… and I already know to wear flowers in my hair…

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Caitlin

Your itinerary sounds workable to me, though I don't expect you'll get much out out of your first day, following long overseas flights. But you could plan something mellow for that afternoon and evening. As you've been to SF before, I assume you're aware that while in the city, having a car will probably be more of a pain than it's worth.

For your wine country getaway, I recommend skipping Napa altogether and spending all your time either in Sonoma or in Sonoma and on the coast north of SF. Napa is both quite hot and very crowded with tourists in the summer. Also, IMO it offers much less for someone not interested in wine tasting. Sonoma offers superior natural beauty and less touristed, more charming towns. Healdsburg, the Russian River area, and the Mendocino area, which is on the coast, have both nice wineries and beautiful scenry. OTOH, if you want to escape the cooler climate of home, you might want to stick with the Sonoma County and Russian River areas, as the coast can be pretty foggy and cool in July.

I think you will have a difficult time getting more than motel- or chain-level accomodtions at $75 per room per night for two rooms, particularly if your figure includes taxes, which are fairly high for hotels in SF and are not included in the prices you'll be quoted. If you can spend even $10 more per night for each of you, you'll be able to do better. In the US, most places do not have a lower price for a room for one with one bed than for a room for two with one bed, as most rooms will have two double beds or one queen or king bed.

For Sonoma information, www.sonomacounty.com is the county tourism program site, and www.sonoma.com is a commercial site; both have plenty of info on happenings, lodging, wineries, etc. to get you started.

What do you plan on shopping for?

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Kavey

Caitlin

Firstly thank you so much for taking the time to post such a careful and informative reply.

Your time is truly appreciated.

As I started searching down through past the first 50 messages I was starting to wonder if I had had no responses and sunk without trace!

I think my revised budget plans maybe to go for the cheapest rooms (within reason) we can find in SF city, maybe a travelodge or such like, and push a little more of the budget towards the wine country days.

I personally am not a wine person but my sister and husband really are and so I am quite happy spending these 3 days visiting vineyards and enjoying the scenery.

In terms of shopping its mostly plain old K Mart stuff, you wouldnt believe how much bras cost me in the UK...!!

And trainers (sneakers) and jeans etc for my large footed long legged husband who is treated like an elongated mutant in terms of sizing here in the UK...

Healdsburg certainly seemed charming in the guide book I have, and the distances dont look too huge to still get to parts of Napa and Dry Creek etc for day trips if we want to.

I also liked look of Yountville in Napa but dont like massive crowds so if Sonoma is less crowded I think we may go with your recommendation...

I will have to look at the Russian River and Mendocino areas in the book as per your advice.

So if I get this right, it is hotter inland in Napa but cooler in Sonoma and Russian River and Mendocino on coast?

Or does Sonoma rank with Napa in weather?

Thanks again for your advice.

I am also looking for any advice on actual inns which people can recommend which are not too expensive but still a step up from thrifylodge!

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Tammy

I did a similar trip last year with friends, starting in San Fran, driving to Napa for 3 days, Yosemite, and then back to San Fran. It is definitely doable.

For a hotel that would fit into your budget in San Fran, I would recommend the San Remo. (www.sanremohotel.com), I think that's the web site. Friends and I stayed there last July and enjoyed our stay, it is very close to the wharf area, and a cable car stop. The bathrooms were down the hall, but they are extremely clean and well kept.

We stayed at the Marriot in Napa because I had earned a free hotel package from my office for a project I had worked on, so I don't have any recommendations for accomodations in Napa or Sonoma. If you are planning on staying for 3 days, and have a car, you can easily travel between the two areas, it is a nice drive. Also, I would recommend visiting the Jack London State Park in Sonoma. I personally enjoyed Napa, but I would also love to go back and spend more time in Sonoma. Both will offer you a lot.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Caitlin

Kavey,

I think your hotel budgeting idea is a good one; you will probably appreciate a nicer place more in the wine country than in SF. I have heard good things about the San Remo from several people, to add to Tammy's post.

The Napa Valley weather can easily be in the 90s (F) in late July. Napa is definitely more crowded than Sonoma Co. I don't dislike Napa, but I think Sonoma Co. is prettier, as well as being less "seveloped" for tourism. My impression is also that you might be able to find nicer low-budget accomodations in the Sonoma area as well (e.g., B&B vs. motel).

Sonoma County is inland, but not so hot as Napa, more likely 70s and 80s during the day, and the same is true for the Russian River area. The latter is scenic and somewhat bucolic, with some very small towns (which can be quite nice), summer camps, etc., as well as farmstands and wineries. Another advantage in Sonoma over Napa, IMo, is that you could spend some time on the coast if you wanted, either en route in Marin County, in/near Muir Woods (redwoods) or Pt. Reyes National Seashore--this is an area with its own charming, quaint towns, scuh as Pt. Reyes Station, Olema, and Inverness--or farther north, toward Mendocino. Mendocino is several hours north of SF. The north cost up that way can be very foggy and cool in midsummer, with temperatures in the 60s and cool nights (it's actually warmer in less foggy there in early fall).

As Tammy says, you could certainly combine Napa and Sonoma in your three-day itinerary, though you'd spend time driving between places that if sticking with one area you would spend enjoying that area. Sonoma certainly offers plenty of opportunities for wine tasting, and the wineries are msotly also less slickly geared toward tourists there than in Napa, which may or may not matter to you.

It's clear where my bias lies in the Napa vs Sonoma question, but I'm sure you'd have fun in eithr or both areas. To my mind, the strikes against Napa other than what I've already mentioned are that it's farther from SF and more expensive. Both places have great wine and great eating.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 01:04 PM
kam

Kavey, from a Bay area resident, you've received some very good advice here. I also would go for the Healdsburg, Russian River, Dry Creek, Anderson VAlley area rather than Napa in the Summer. Your budget is very tight for this part of the country! The San Remo is an excellent recommendation--old, reasonably priced and spotlessly clean--well located in North Beach (the Little Italy area) For Kmart etc type shopping would suggest on the way down to SFO--look in the phone book at Burlingame, Millbrae etc. If you are really serious about shopping, you'd need to rent a car, but you could drive down to Gilroy (south on 101 about 2 hours from the city) to an excellent outlet mall. All kinds of items that you are looking for--great quality and good prices. You might like to look at Santa Rosa for a destination near the Sonoma wine country--there's a Hotel Rose that is historic and pretty budget priced. In Santa Rosa is the wonderful John Ash & Co. restaurant at the Vintner's Inn, if you want to splurge. Friends recently stayed at a Best Western in Santa Rosa. They weren't charmed, but chose to spend the money on eating well. In the town of Sonoma a couple old western hotels, but beware of not having airconditioning! Sonoma, the town, is quite hot like Napa--the farther west you go in Sonoma Co. the cooler it will be. If you do go to Napa would suggest the El Bonito Motel in St. Helena (a retro motel type place but well loved by many) or the St. Helena Hotel--old but noisy if you're not a sound sleeper.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 05:03 AM
Kavey

Hi to all of you and thanks so much for the continuing advice.

I looked at the san remo site and the hotel looks really lovely. The only down side for me is the shared bathrooms but obviously thats also what is bringing the price down so I wont rule it out.

But I would appreciate your comments on this hotel which looks a possibility.

www.andrewshotel.com which is in a good location has offered me a suite where they can put a rollaway bed into the separate sitting room. This would mean we would have privacy but a private bathroom. The suite is going to cost us $155 plus taxes between 3 including breakfast which sounds good to me now that I have checked out prices for every chain and hotel I could find on the net.

As for wine country I am stronly leaning towards Sonoma, as one of the things I had wanted to see was indeed Muir Woods.

Can I ask for your thoughts on the Andrews and your recommendations and advice on which town to base ourselves in within Sonoma and the accomodation which we should consider.

Thanks again for your repeated assistance.

Kavey

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Caitlin

Kavey, I have heard good things about the Andrews, and I thnk it would be a good bet for you, as (with taxes) it will be only a bit above your stated budget.

I think Healdsburg would be the ideal place to base yourself for Sonoma County, but Santa Rosa may be the only place you can really find accommodations within or near your budget. Santa Rosa is the biggest town (a city, actually) in Sonoma County and is not particularly charming or interesting, but it is an easy enough place to use a jumping-off point for the surrounding communities. Also, it does have a shopping mall and mass-merchandisers, should you feel like getting some of your shopping done there.

If you didn't visit the redwoods on your previous trips to the area, you should certainly go to Muir Woods and take a walk. The most practical plan would be to visit Muir Woods (and Stinson Beach or Pt. Reyes Seashore if you want some seaside nature) en route from SF to Sonoma County, heading north and then east through Marin County, where the woods are located.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 04:25 PM
s.fowler

Grab the Andrews!
And *do* visit Muir Woods. try to get there early in the morning before teh groups get there.I think it opens at 9am. After we went to Muir Woods we drove over the mountains [a back route because the coastal hiway was under repair, but it's well marked.] to Stinson Beach for lunch. The two main retaurants are across teh street from each other. The Stinson Beach Grill and The Sand Dollar. We ate at the latter because the grill was closed for renovations, but we had a nice meal at the grill a number of years ago. The locals recommended Parkside Snack Bar, but it looked less atmospheric. There are galleries and small shops.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 05:55 PM
GAIL

You might try the Holiday Inn, Sebastopol. You can get a $79.00 rate depending on when you are going.Hotel La Rose is nice (and right in Old Rairoad Square)Santa Rosa, but Sebastopol is a charming place and you could zip over to Bodega Bay in about 25 minutes Remember where Hitchcock's the birds was filmed?). I would also throw in Armstrong Redwoods(in Gurneville/Russian River Area) for your consideration as it is beautiful to see the sun streaming through the trees.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 05:07 PM
s.fowler

Bringing this up for Kavey.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Tammy

Definitely visit Muir Woods! and as mentioned earlier, GO EARLY. I visited Muir Woods in 1991 and loved it and when I was there last July, my friends and I arrived around 11ish. We couldn't even find a place to park the car within a mile or so radius from the entrance. Reluctantly, we decided not to go. If parking was going to be anything like it was inside the park, it was going to be crazy.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:36 PM
MM

If you decide on Napa Valley, consider spending a day among the wineries along the Silverado Trail (eastern edge of the Valley). Most people seem to bunch up on Hwy. 29 on the west side. There are some great wineries along the Silverado Trail -- Mumm Champagne, Clos du Val are 2 of them.
As for a Napa Valley restaurant, try Bistro Jeanty (French bistro), 6510 Washington St. in Yountville. It's a can't-miss pick.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:46 PM
kam

KAVEY, All sound advice here so it's now up to you. You really can't miss with any of the suggestions so far and we wish you a wonderful trip to SF and the Wine Country. Let us know what you finally decide and how you found it.---P.S. Just remember, generally we don't have A/C in SF/Bay area but the end of July could be really hot. Put that in the back of your mind.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Kavey

Dear Friends

Thank you all for your continued advice.

Life has been hectic (evening classes, weekends away and far too many evenings out) and I havent been on the board for more than a few minutes at a time for a while.

I did book the Andrews, and I have been emailing back and forth a few times with the general manager who has been patient and reponsive to my questions which gives me a good feeling about the hotel.

I havent decided about Sonoma accom yet. From everything I have heard and read, here and elsewhere, and a personal recommendation from a good friend who visited last year, I think I would like to stay in Healdsburg.

I think the town itself sounds very attractive and from here we can visit Sonoma as well as do a day trip into Napa.

I am also hoping that spending 3 consecutive nights might garner some discounts at our eventual hotel.

I have located lots of hotel details here and on a couple of Sonoma websites and I think the best bet is for me to send out an email to several of these hotels with an explanation of my needs, my budget and our dates and see if any can offer me anything suitable.

Most post rates higher than my budget (assuming two rooms since most are quaint BBs which dont have suites like the Andrews) and I realise July is peak season but we might get lucky anyway.

If this tactic doesnt work (will send emails this weekend) then I will look at the less expensive options above in other towns than Healdsburg.

MANY THANKS and please keep any more advice coming.

/<avey

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 01:25 PM
kam

Kavey, Even though I recommended the San Remo and can assure everyone that the bathrooms are spotlessly clean, congratulations on getting a little suite at the Andrews. It will be perfect. I second the idea of Sebastapol as a good starting point for Sonoma wine country. Healdsburg is wonderful but very pricey. There are a lot of Travelodges in Santa Rosa and Sonoma--maybe you can search for their site. Also, contact the chambers of commerce of each city to ask about cottage rentals. Friends of ours used to take their little dog up to a town called Freestone near Sebastopol and stayed at the Green Apple House. Don't know much about it, but I do know they loved it and it had a cabin on the grounds. Sadly, having just booked a UK trip, we don't have the same situation with "short break" rates in California, but it doesn't hurt to ask.