Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai ~ Safe beach for amateur swimmer married to great swimmer & snorkeler (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-safe-beach-for-amateur-swimmer-married-to-great-swimmer-and-snorkeler-977003/)

ddsteve May 6th, 2013 02:35 PM

Kauai ~ Safe beach for amateur swimmer married to great swimmer & snorkeler

Looking for safe, calm beach for me & hubby in late October...
Me~ loves being IN the water, but not a good swimmer or snorkeler...You won't see me cave dwelling, cliff diving, or in questionable terrain....I'm a 'walk-the-beach', 'wade out' type of beach...gradual tapering off person...A place where I can stop at the point where I feel comfortable..Once comfortable 'with' the water, I'd like to don a mask & snorkel in shallow water and be very happy with that...a few shells, a few fish, I'm happy! ...

He~ I happen to be wonderfully married to a guy who is a 'fish' in the water, has no fear of water, absolutely loves it..the more the better... so I also want to give him the 'time of his life' too on his 72nd birthday!

We have been offered some time at a friends condo on Kauai. Our tentative dates for Hawaii, at this time are Oct. 22nd until Nov 07..Any suggestions or recommendations for us each to get the full enjoyment of Kauai & other spots would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks ahead!

explanation May 6th, 2013 02:45 PM

Although Anini Beach on the north shore is not great snorkeling, it's a pleasant, safe, and quiet place to wile away an afternoon.

nanabee May 6th, 2013 04:22 PM

The south shores of all the islands will have calmer waters and safer beaches. The north shores will have larger waves and more prone to rip currents. Regardless of where you go or how good a surfer, swimmer one is I would only go to guarded beaches. Check out local conditions as they can chance quickly at your local dive shop - many of the guys who work there are good watermen/women and know the areas and conditions and will give good recommendations.

I love Tunnels on the North Shore for snorkeling. But again check for safe conditions first, as it can be dangerous and there is a strong underwater current that is very strong.

ddsteve May 6th, 2013 06:09 PM

nanabee~ what are Tunnels? We don't have those in SE Texas :)

nanabee May 7th, 2013 04:47 AM

ddsteve
Tunnels is the name of the beach on the North Shore.

http://www.kauai.com/beaches/tunnels-beach

It's kinda hard to find so get a good map! :)

ddsteve May 7th, 2013 08:48 PM

nanabee~ oh, on the tunnels :) lol
what do you know about Wyndham Makai Club
We have been offered a 1 bdr. with no a/c couple of weeks end of Oct. This might be 'hotel-type' rooms, being the Wyndham, which could mean a sliding door would provide the ventilation for the room.
The no a/c concerns me...Weather report says humidity can be a little much late October. I'm not comfortable leaving any of my doors or windows open to get fresh air to sleep at night.
Thanks
Dora

explanation May 8th, 2013 08:15 AM

Wynham Makai is in Princeville.

It gets very mixed reviews. The negatives are the dated, musty units that smell like mold, no views.

ChiSue May 10th, 2013 07:47 AM

Kauai has the least good sealife of the islands. Big Island has the best. Maui's is very good, and has more easy-access beaches than Big Island.

I would never book anywhere in Hawaii at any time of year if A/C was not an option. When the Trades die -- and they DO -- you'll be *sticky*.

Cidbob May 12th, 2013 04:00 PM

My wife and I have been to Kauai numerous times and have never needed air conditioning.

Look into a cottage/house rental on Hanalei Bay. The beach is not only one of the greatest in the world, but it has the mix of "easy wavin'" that you are looking for and more active water possibilities that he's looking for. It's an easy drive to Tunnels, where he can snorkel and you can comb the gorgeous beach. Ditto Ke'e. Check out the VRBO listings for Hanalei and go from there.