Kauai Road Repair Update & Whales!

Jan 10th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Kauai Road Repair Update & Whales!

According to today’s Garden Island newspaper, the road from Hanalei to Wainiha should be “substantially complete” in April, with renovations to Waioli, Waipa, and Waikoko bridges being completed in May.

HDOT did not give an estimate of when the road might be open to the public. The article also stated that there was extensive damage to Haena State Park and Napali Coast State Wilderness Park. A couple of months ago, I had read the road to Haena and Ke’e Beach might open by the end of 2019, but the article did not address that.

There has not been an official whale count yet, but people are reporting seeing fewer than previous years. I just got back on island last night and today, I watched four whales put on quite a show. I never get tired of that, or the view, or the sound of the waves, or the starry nights, or the breezes, or ...

We’ve been living on Kauai almost two years now, and I’m even happier than I had hoped.
Jan 11th, 2019, 06:59 AM

Your updates are so welcome, Songdoc - wife and I are coming to Kauai for first trip in June. Hoping much will be repaired. Thank you!
Jan 11th, 2019, 08:47 AM

Hi Songdoc, Cheryl and I will soon be winging our way to Kauai for our usual one month respite from the Seattle weather. There were so many whales last year, I would be sad if the number of whales has truly declined. As usual, we will make a trip to Hanalei, but it sounds like we really can't get any farther due to the road having been washed out.

I greatly appreciate your updates.
Jan 11th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

TJM_70: Thanks for the nice comments. It sounds like the road should be open to Wainiha before you arrive. But I wouldn't count on getting to Haena or Ke'e beach.

Kathie: I saw two more whales this morning. Maybe they're just running late this year. ??? When you come north to Hanalei, you might want to see the baby albatrosses. There are at least ten nests on people's lawns in full view toward the end of Kaweonui Rd., a few blocks from me in Princeville. When you're in the neighborhood let me know if you want to meet face-to-face. I hope you & Cheryl have a great trip!
Jan 11th, 2019, 07:33 PM

We were happy to find the sitting albatross during our December visit. Maybe some year we can see the babies!
Jan 11th, 2019, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

The babies are born in January and fledge in June. They're soooo cute (and BIG) !
Jan 12th, 2019, 08:25 AM

The albatross babies are cute and fuzzy and big. We saw a lot of them when we toured Na 'Aina Kai Botanical Gardens on the north shore. It would be fun to see them nested on people's lawns.
Jan 12th, 2019, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the updates. Will check out the albatross nests in March.
Jan 12th, 2019, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

I went by the albatrosses today and watched two of them do a dance with lots of beak clacking. I haven't seen any babies yet, but if they are newborn, the mamas might still be sitting on them.

Today was the third consecutive day of seeing whales from my lanai, and it was probably the best show I've ever seen. For about five minutes, over and over, the mama breached, dove, spouted, and thrashed her tail and fins -- and whatever the mama did, the calf did a moment later. It was so awesome!!!
Jan 13th, 2019, 11:16 AM

Hey, Songdoc, I sent you a PM.
Jan 13th, 2019, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Kathie: I saw that and responded, (unless there was a 2nd message) but I don't see my response on the thread. So ... I said that sounded great and I'm looking forward to it.
Jan 14th, 2019, 09:42 AM

Odd, I don't have a response from you in my inbox. I wonder if the PM system is malfunctioning...
Jan 15th, 2019, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Kathie: I responded again to your PM. Please let me know if you've received it.
Mar 18th, 2019, 11:32 AM

Songdoc,

Louistraveler here! It's been a long time. I still love Kauai, of course, but I stopped visiting Fodors for no particular reason. The last time DH & I went was in May 2018. We weren't planning to return until August of 2020 but we may move the trip up to this August.

Any latest update about the road beyond Hanalei? At this time there is not access to Lumahai? It would be accessible in April/May but unknown if visitors will be allowed?

I can't believe you've lived there for two years!

Thanks Songdoc!
Mar 20th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the delayed response. Last night, I returned from Europe -- and that's a LONG trip to Kauai. Hopefully, my bags (and my brain) will join me in the next day or two!

About a month ago, the newspaper stated that they hope to have the road open to Wainiha by the end of May. So Lumahai would be accessible at that time. I haven't heard anything about it not being open to the public. There is no firm estimate on when the road will open the rest of the way -- to Haena and Kee Beach. When that last stretch of road opens, they hope to have some kind of limited access (i.e., reservations/tickets and public shuttles) to eliminate the parking and overcrowding at Haena/Ke'e. I'll post when I hear anything further.

I can't believe it's two years, either! I love it more than I hoped.