Kauai Road Repair -- the Latest

Apr 12th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Kauai Road Repair -- the Latest

According to yesterday's local newspaper, the road North from Hanalei will reopen on or around May 1st. Here's a summary of the article:

First the first month, Haena State Park (and access to Ke'e Beach) will remain closed. The plan (when it reopens) is to reduce the number of visitors from approx 2,000 to 900 per day.

The plan includes a shuttle system from Princeville that will go into effect June 4th. At that time, the convoy system that has been in place will be discontinued. Shuttle tickets will be $11 for tourists and $2 for locals.

Parking (at Haena Beach park) will be limited to 100 cars, with spots available to tourists by reservation only. Residents will have any time access to the parking at Haena.

Bridge repairs will continue and "significant traffic delays" are expected.

There will be no parking from Haena State Park to the end of the road (Ke'e Beach And access to the Kalalau Trail). Parking fines will increase to $200.

Limited parking for surfers and "fisher folk" will be available in special zones.

They estimate that the shuttle system will reduce the traffic volume on that portion of the highway of 3,400 cars a day by only about 100 vehicles. (That makes no sense, but I'm only reporting what was in the article.)

The article ended with, "I can almost guarantee the first week will be a disaster!"

I will avoid it until the kinks are ironed out. Then I'll look forward to these views...

Na Pali Coast -- from the first part of the Kalalau Trail
Apr 24th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Thanks for sharing! We are coming to Kauai and staying in Hanalei in late June -- our first trip. I truly hope to be able to see and experience some of the trails and beaches farther along the North Shore, but also realize Mother Nature (and government bureaucracy) are running the show, and we're just along for the ride. We'll see what we get when we arrive, I guess!
Apr 24th, 2019, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

writetotravel: I was at Hanalei Bay yesterday and the beauty never stops amazing me.
It's looking like the road should be open and the shuttle should be up and running before late June. You will need to make a reservation for either the parking or shuttle. I'll post more when the details become available.

You're going to LOVE Kauai. Aloha ...
May 1st, 2019, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

From today's The Garden Island newspaper:

LIHUE — The reopening date for Kuhio Highway on the North Shore set for today has been postponed until the week of May 20.
More than a year has passed since the historic April 2018 floods, and repairs simply aren’t finished, according to an announcement Tuesday by the Hawaii Department of Transportation.
May 11th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Really bad news for merchants and tourists:

1. the road opening (north of Hanalei) has been delayed until June 13th

2. the road between Princeville and Hanalei (at the Hanalei bridge) will be down to one lane 24/7 for the next 4 - 5 months. Delays are anticipated to be an hour or more in both directions, and there will be times when the one lane will close for up to 45 minutes, stopping traffic in both directions and making the delays much longer.

It's annoying for the tourists, but it's devastating for the merchants.
May 11th, 2019, 11:55 AM

I feel badly for the businesses in Hanalei.
May 13th, 2019, 08:49 PM

Yesterday, I heard that the shuttle may not start up for months either. I gather they figure that traffic delays will be so bad that the shuttle would just be too frustrating. Between these repairs the Pali Hwy landslide repairs on Oahu, and the lava covered roads on the Big Island, our road budgets are getting stretched pretty thin...
May 13th, 2019, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

It wouldn't surprise me if the shuttle is delayed.
Yesterday (Mother's Day) as a test, I drove from Princeville to Hanalei to see just how bad the delays would be.
There were NO delays. I went P'ville to Hanalei around 9:30am and returned at noon. NO traffic.
But the beach and ocean were glorious! The weather has been perfect. Ahhh...

Jun 11th, 2019, 03:58 PM

Hi Songdoc, I am arriving on your beautiful Kauai July 9th for 8 days. I was so sad to hear of the issues on the north side. I am staying in Kapaa, so I can go in either direction. I love to snorkel and hoped to get to Ke'e and or Tunnels. Any idea what the chances for us tourists to get there by car in early July?
Jun 11th, 2019, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

peabody: the road is scheduled to open June 17th. It has been delayed several times, but according to an article in the newspaper, this date is "firm." So it looks like you should get to go!

The road will close one weekend in July for additional repairs, but I can't recall which weekend. You will need to reserve a spot (online) to go to Haena/Ke'e Beach. There will only be 900 slots available per day. There will also be a shuttle. The website for reservations is scheduled to open 6/17 and they are anticipating it to be a mess until the kinks get ironed out.

FYI, the snorkeling is also good at Anini. Last week, someone I know snorkeled there with two sea turtles and a snowflake eel. Another friend showed me video of snorkeling with an octopus (!!!) at Tunnels.

Have a great trip!
Jun 12th, 2019, 07:22 AM

Thanks, Sondoc. It is looking pretty good for me it seems. I had forgotten you previously mentioned about parking reservations. I am getting very excited to go to Kauai again.
Jun 12th, 2019, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

You're welcome!
Jun 13th, 2019, 06:42 AM

Songdoc....could you further explain the "shuttle" I have only driven down to Ke'e beach which has always been a nightmare to park. Also nothing to do with Kauai but we just came back from BI and Westin Hapuna Beach. Very disappointed that the best rooms are now going to be residences. Still a lovely hotel but the pools are way too warm! I want to cool off when I get in a pool not lay in semi hot bath water. What do you think......
Jun 14th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Shar: My understanding is that there will only be 100 parking spots for Ke'e. 30 of those will be only for locals. The others must be reserved ahead of time -- but no info has been provided yet about how to do that. The only other option will be to take a shuttle. Details such as how to reserve the shuttle and where it will pick up from have not yet been made public. Presuming that the road opens Monday, I'd guess it's about time for an announcement! FYI, no parking will be permitted on the road. It will be strictly enforced and will incur a $400 fine.

I'll be going to a conference at the Westin Hapuna Beach Wednesday. I won't have any time to get in the pool! But I wouldn't want it to be too warm. How disappointing that the best rooms are going to be residences.
Jun 16th, 2019, 10:29 AM

Shar, the website is now open to reserve parking at Haena State Park and I believe the shuttle is now taking reservations as well. I just booked parking for the dates we're in Hanalei (one week+ out) and was able to get the dates we wanted.
https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/ka...na-state-park/ for parking -- I believe there's another link for the shuttle.
Jun 16th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for sharing that, writetotravel.
I'm glad you were able to get parking.
Have a great trip!
Jun 16th, 2019, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Here's the website for shuttle reservations:

http://kauainsshuttle.com