Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Kauai Restaurants - Maui Prices? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kauai-restaurants-maui-prices-725614/)

lesm Aug 1st, 2007 01:37 PM

Kauai Restaurants - Maui Prices?

Just curious if fine dining in Kauai is just as expensive as Maui. Some of my favorites on Maui are Longhi's, Roy's, Banyan Tree, and Mama's Fish House. But it's hard to have dinner for 2 with a glass of wine for under $100. I'm just wondering, with Kauai's low key image...do they have less expensive fine dining?

kealalani Aug 1st, 2007 02:06 PM

There really isn't all that much fine dining or wow factor dining in Kauai, that isn't attatched to a hotel. When in Kauai I usually cook more and enjoy the simpler things. Maui is definately more of a restaurant destination. Didn't really answer your question, now did I. Good luck.

MBnancy Aug 1st, 2007 04:24 PM

Yes, Kauai is just as expensive as Maui. Just in Poipu, they have the Beach House, Roy's, Tidepools, Gaylords, etc.

But you can find less expensive places to dine like Dukes, Keoki's Paradise and Brennecke's to name a few.

hilda Aug 1st, 2007 05:06 PM

We thought restaurants on Kauai were less expensive than Maui and more enjoyable. We loved Kauai for many reasons and were pleasantly suprised by the food.

beachgirl86 Aug 1st, 2007 05:10 PM

I think it's just as expensive if you go for the Roy's type restaurants. We love both islands, and have spend just as much on restaurants on either one. While I agree that Maui is more of a "restaurant destination", we ate at Tidepool's, Roy's, and The Beach House on Kauai, and they were every bit as pricey (and delicious!) as the Maui restaurants.

tinatoadster Aug 1st, 2007 05:11 PM

I found Kauai to be very reasonable. Much like eating at hometown restaurants. We stayed in Lihue, and loved Coconuts and Eggberts for Breakfast.

Aloha.

volcanogirl Aug 1st, 2007 06:25 PM

We found Kauai to have a much better selection of affordable, casual restaurants. We loved both places, but even the casual food in Maui seemed pricy.

On Kauai, we liked Hamura's, Bubba's Burgers, Brennecke's, and Dukes for casual food.

lesm Aug 2nd, 2007 04:23 AM

Thanks everyone. Great recommendations. I don't mind paying for expensive food now and then, as long as it's tasty and the service and atmoshpere are good. Thanks for the low key dining recommendations.

We will have our own kitchen and BBQ in Princeville. Are there any good fish markets, meat markets, and farmers markets (great produce) in the area?

amelie Aug 2nd, 2007 04:27 AM

We found Kaua'i to be less expensive. It seems like our dinners on Maui (Mama's, Nick's etc) were around $200, where on Kaua'i they were around $100 (The Beach House, Tidepools...).

grasshut Aug 6th, 2007 07:50 AM

We just got back from Kauai and in Lihue there is a McDonalds if you are touring the island their prices are no different than any other McDonalds. Also if you have a kitchen and are a member of Costco go to the shopping center there in Lihue. They have alot of local stuff there at that store and the prices are not bad the only downside is that you have to purchase in bulk. Also there is a Safeway Store
by Walmart. Get a Safeway card at customer service counter and pay the club price instead of the higher choice.

SandratheGardener Aug 9th, 2007 08:26 AM

Our "fancy" dinners we about the same, maybe slightly less, on Kauai than on Maui. (Kauai in 05, Maui in 06) We spent about $130 at these places on Kauai (one glass of wine each, one appetizer to share, two entrees, and two desserts). For the same on Maui it was maybe $140 to $150.

We went to Tidepools and The Beach House on Kauai, and Mama's Fish House and... oh darn I forgot the other place on Maui. In a hotel in Waimea, Donatello's or something like that?

For Kauai - we prefered The Beach House over Tidepools. Food and service were equivalent (excellent at both) so the only thing that could win out was the view, and Beach House has an excellent one if you get the early seating & are there for sunset.