Reload this Page >

Kauai: Princeville or Hyatt in Feb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Michael

Of these choices what would you advise, as we will be in Kauai in Feb for 6 nights (first time).
1) Stay at the Hyatt
2) Stay at the Princeville
3) Split the stay, between the two hotels.

My main concern is the weather this month, if it will be too rainy on the north part of the island. Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Tammy

Since it is February I would stay at the Hyatt because much less chance of rain in Poipu. The Hyatt is a beautiful resort, you will love it. However, do spend some time on the north shore, it is spectacular!

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 07:40 PM
careless

go to maui

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Jim

Michael -

Kauai is so much better than Maui! I'm sure I'll get some flack for this statement, but we don't think there is any comparison to the beauty of Kauai vs Maui as well as Kauai's offering of great hiking, kayaking on its many rivers as well as the peace and solitude you experience in Kauai. Maui has become so commercialized in the last several years that we no longer choose to travel there. However, we will be in Kauai in February as we always are and, although the North Shore is so much more spectacular, I would suggest you stay south at the Hyatt. If you don't mind the packing and repacking, splitting your time between North and South might be a good choice. However, it is more likely to be sunnier with less rain on Poipu's sunny South shore. The Hyatt is a gorgeous resort, the grounds are lovely and the location is excellent. Tammy is right in that you should not miss the opportunity to spend some time on the North Shore.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 05:00 AM
ifIMay

If I may jump in with a collateral question .. . .
same question but in November. I hear that Princeville is a little more posh and absolutely georgeous, is there a weather problem? Splitting between the two isn't an option

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 05:00 AM
juli

There have been so many posts on this issue that I think it ought to have its own chat room! My opinion from annual north shore visits and some thoughts from previous posts:
- The north shore is rainier than Poipu but not that rainy.
- Both hotels are gorgeous
- The Princeville's feel is more formal and less Hawaiian than the Hyatt.
- Princeville has a better spa
- Hyatt is better for snorkeling
- Princeville is better for golf and tennis, and is closer to the Na Pali trailhead.
- Hyatt seems to have fewer I'm-here-attending-a-business-convention -and-cannot-put-down-my-cell-phone types
If you can stand unpacking after three nights, splitting might not be a bad idea. You cannot go too wrong either way. Have a lovely time.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Karen

In resonse to "ifImay" -

I hate to rain on anyone's parade,literally or figuratively, but you always take a chance when you decide to stay on the North shore - weatherwise. We were on the North shore one February several years ago and it rained the entire week we were there. I don't mean rain like you get at most islands - I mean rain like Monsoons One of those days we had over 5-1/2 inches - in one day. We actually left the island early for the mainland. At this particular time, the Womens' Kemper Golf Classic was being held in the Princeville area. The women could not get in their qulaifying times and this was the last year this tournament (after many previous ones) was held on the North Shore. Keep in mind that Mt. Waialeale is the wettest spot on earth. However, the rainfall on the North shore is what makes this island so lush and tropical and enriches Kauai's rivers, provides for its many waterfalls and enhances the beauty of the Botannical Gardens - just to name a few. November is historically a rainy time of the year, but you should still have some lovely weather, but given my druthers, stay South if you want to hedge your bets and travel North on a sunny day after you have called North for a weather check.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 09:48 AM
HeatherC

I stayed at the Hyatt in September for my honeymoon. It was really nice/ The pool are was great! The rooms were fine... We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Maui and those rooms were better than the Hyatt but the Hyatt was more than great. We went to the luau there too which was cute. When we were there we drove to Princeville and it was nice but not as tropical as the Hyatt, at least to me. The weather didn't seem as nice there either, more rainy.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 03:36 PM
michele

michael it does rain quite a bit in princeville during Feb. but it is heaven on earth. Especially next door you have Hanalei. both are beautiful cities. Princeville hotel is wonderful, but it doesn't hurt to split the difference between Princeville and Poipu. You'll have the best of both worlds. Also, excellent snorkling down in Poipu. Princeville lover since 69' and never had a bad vacation. Have a great time wherever you stay!

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 05:08 PM
annemarie

The north shore has its driest season between April and November. The summer is better for snorkelling on the north shore...waters are calm. South shore waters are rough during the summer. The north shore far surpasses the south in beauty, but, considering you are going in Feb. you would be safer on the south shore. Why don't you spend 1 night on the north shore?

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 08:02 PM
J

I'm also trying to decide between the Princeville and the Hyatt on Kauai. I'll be there in late May so weather is less of an issue. Just considering the resorts themselves (rooms, bathrooms, service, amenities) and not so much their location, which is nicer? We don't have children and we like spas.