Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Kauai - Princeville - any suggestions of activities

Kauai - Princeville - any suggestions of activities

Jul 15th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Kauai - Princeville - any suggestions of activities

we will be staying at the Princeville for 3 nights during our 16 night Hawaii vacation in September, the Princeville looks so incredibly romantic, we may not want to leave the resort.. but if we do.. I was thinking of taking a helicopter ride, how are the one's out of the Princeville airport?

how is the beach at the Princeville?

any sugggestions for other activities, horseback riding perhaps? and any suggestions for great dinners??

Jul 15th, 2004, 06:22 PM

You're right, the Princeville resort is so beautiful you probably won't want to leave. But make sure you drive down to the end of the road to Ke'e Beach. Snorkeling is great down there but the best part is the Na Pali Coast hike. I'm not in very good shape so my husband and I only did the first mile but it was utterly breathtaking. The helicopter ride though was the hilight of my trip. I used Air Kauai. They do not fly out of the Princeville airport so I can't offer any response there. The beach at the Princeville is great...especially at sunset. The luau at the hotel is pretty good as well.
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:50 PM

You should definitely go to Ke'e Beach for snorkling, its only a short drive away. On the way to Ke'e Beach, you'll pass by Tunnel Beach. Be careful, or you'll drive right be it. It's a short dirt driveway about 50 to 80 yards long with very little parking. By contrast, Ke'e Beach should have plenty of parking.

If you go the opposite direction from the Princeville resort, its only a short drive to a historic lighthouse (the lighthouse closes at 4:00pm if you want to go inside).

As far as helicopter rides go, they're probably all about the same with one exception. Most all of them are air conditioned with choreographed music to tell you what you are seeing. However, one is different.

They are called Island helicopter (or something like that) but they only fly out of Port Allen near Waimea (on the south side of the island past Poi Pou). The have no doors (for much better photo opportunities) and will only carry up to 4 passengers. This is the company that flys all of the rescue missions on the island. You have headsets, but no music. Everybody on the chopper can talk to each other including the pilot. The pilot will give you a commentary during the trip and you can ask questions. They have a two hour trip that actually lands near a water fall. You can walk about 30 yards and swim in the waterfall pool where they will serve you a box lunch. In my opinion, its definitely worth it. Most chopper rides are priced around $179 to $199 per person. This two hour ride costs $250 but you can probably buy it for around $225. It will take about one hour and 45 minutes to drive from Princeville to Port Allen.

You also have to take a boat ride down the Napali Coast.

Have fun.

Search this Thread