Kauai Poipu Shores vs. Sunset Kahili condos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2020, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Kauai in late February 2021. I am debating between staying at the Sunset Kahili condos and the Poipu Shores condos in Koloa. They are right next to each other but the Poipu Shores is right next to the cliffs. I am leaning toward the Poipu Shores and I am looking at a 2bdrm, 4th floor corner unit in building A, managed by Castle Poipu Shores.

From reading various reviews, it sounds like the different buildings (A,B & C) have different management, and some are definitely better than others.

Does anyone have any current information (Fall 2019 to present) regarding Building A at the Poipu Shores? I have also heard that property renovation is ongoing. What is that status of that? Was the pool usable? I have read some reviews saying it was dirty and unkept. Is there A/C in bldg A and is there an elevator?

Thanks for any responses.

Last edited by rogerk6289; Sep 14th, 2020 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 12:38 PM

I can't help with choosing a building at Poipu Shores, but it certainly is a beautiful complex.
I saw on your other post that you will be staying at Alii Kai. What building? I live there and I love it.
Hopefully, things will be very different by February.
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

I have booked unit 3202 at the Ali'i Kai for the end of February/beginning of March. Owners are Jeff and Shana Davis. Besides the question I have about Waimea Canyon, since you are a north shore resident, what can you tell me about the status of highway 560/Kuhio Hwy going west toward Ke'e Beach. I had read that the road was closed for some time due to the flooding and mudslides.
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 09:23 PM

I haven’t been inside that unit, but I’m sure it will be nice and you will have a wonderful view. You should be able to see whales and albatrosses. FYI, Jeff & Shana manage that unit, but they don’t own it.

The road to Ke’e is open. It was closed for about 16 months and re-opened about a year ago. Pre-COVID, after the road re-opened, the only way for non-residents to visit Ke’e was to either take a pre-reserved shuttle or reserve a parking space. You could not just drive there and pay a fee. Since COVID and the quarantine essentially ended tourism, there have been no shuttles or reservations required and Ke’e (like everywhere else) is almost empty. It’s bliss! I presume that before February, the quarantine will be lifted and the system of reservations will be back in place.

What is your question about Waimea Canyon? It will be much closer for you to go there from Poipu than from Princeville.
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we will be driving to Waimea while we are staying in Koloa, since we will be there for 5 days. Especially, since you are a resident, I presume that you have taken multiple trips to Waimea Canyon. I just wondered if you might have any specific recommendations of things/places definitely not to miss. I'm thinking that we will make a day of it, beginning by going to the Kehaha Farmer's Market in the morning since we will probably be going on a Saturday. There seem like there are a number of great lookouts along the way driving north toward Koke'e State Park, Kalalau Lookout and Pu'u O Kila Lookout. We are not big hikers but if there are some shorter treks off of Hwy 550 that aren't too strenuous, we might be up for those. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for all of your replies to my questions.
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 07:32 PM

I have been to Waimea Canyon many times. But I can’t recommend any short or easy walks. I’m a hiker and am only aware of the hiking trails. “The Canyon Trail” is my favorite. It is rated as “moderate,” but it does have some challenging areas—especially if it has rained.

I love to stop at the Kauai Coffee Company on the way to the canyon. They have free tastings. If you like milk or cream in your coffee you can buy a cup of milk for 25 cents. Powdered creamer is free. They have a terrific gift shop, and a snack bar, too. You can do a short, easy walk on a path with signs that explain about the growing, harvesting, and roasting of coffee. It’s a beautiful location.

You could stop at the tiny, historic town of Hanapepe, which has a few galleries and shops. People rave about the food at Grandma’s Japanese Kitchen in Hanapepe.

The lookouts at the canyon and in Koke’e are clearly marked. The Kalalau Lookout and Pu'u O Kila Lookout provide some of the most breathtakingly beautiful views in the world. Magical! But … it often gets foggy and/or rainy and the views completely disappear! On several occasions I’ve been there when there were no views whatsoever and then the fog passes and briefly reveals those spectacular views – crowned with rainbows! If it is fogged over it is worth hanging out at the lodge restaurant and trying again later. But the last time I went the fog never passed.

While you’re on the North Shore be sure to visit the Kilauea Lighthouse for great whale watching and bird watching.

From the South Shore, walk the Mahaulepu Trail. Very beautiful—and good whale watching.

I hope this helps!